Chapters meeting 2009/Schedule

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Comment This is a revised version of the schedule (previous proposal). See the rationale for the new version. Sessions will be appropriately described below.

Please do not edit this page directly but leave a comment on the talk page. Thanks.


Overview[edit]

Thursday 2nd Friday 3rd Saturday 4th Sunday 5th
9:30 – 10:00 Participants arrive / Sightseeing Opening & schedule / Committee assignments Summary of Friday & schedule Summary of Saturday & schedule
10:00 – 11:00 State of the chapters
(lightning talks)
Public outreach: current practices & ideas
(F. Schulenburg)
Content liberation
(discussion)
Visions, forecast & long term
(workgroups)
Birds of a feather
11:00 – 12:00 Public outreach workgroups
(workgroups)
Working with volunteers & local communities
(discussion)
Wrap-up & announcements
12:00 – 13:00 Lunch Lunch Lunch
13:00 – 14:00 Funding & fundraising: current practices & ideas
(R. Montoya)
Relationships between chapters
(discussion)
Trademark policy and chapter agreements
(M. Godwin)
Common projects
(discussion)
Participants leave / Sightseeing / Committee meetings
14:00 – 15:00 Funding & fundraising workgroups
(workgroups)
"Relationships between chapters" workgroups
(workgroups)
Common projects workgroups
(workgroups)
15:00 – 15:30 Coffee break Coffee break
15:30 – 17:00 Funding requests process
(E. Möller)
Communication & Marketing: current practices & projects
(C. Schoneville & G. Paumier)
Committee meetings
17:00 – 18:30 Success stories
(workgroups)
Communication & marketing workgroups
(workgroups)
Development of chapters & relationships with the foundation
(discussion with WMF board)
18:30 – 19:00 Wrap-up
19:00 – 20:30 Dinner Dinner Party
evening Informal exchange of ideas / wiki lounge (C-base) Informal exchange of ideas / wiki lounge (C-base) / Committee meetings


Thursday 2nd[edit]

Most of the participants will arrive on Thursday evening, some on Friday morning.

back to top

Friday 3rd[edit]

Opening & schedule[edit]

S. Moleski, G. Paumier, facilitator

back to top

State of the chapters[edit]

Speakers: chapters representatives
Moderator: facilitator
Goal: giving all attendees an overview of the wikimedia chapters universe and sparking off ideas
Description

The "state of the chapters" session will consist of lightning talks. Each chapter will have 5 minutes to present themselves, according to the proposed outline:

  1. Quick facts: When was the chapter created? Main changes since then, current number of members, current budget
  2. Success stories: things you're proud of
  3. Headaches: frustrating things that didn't work (why?)
  4. Plans for the future: short term (1 year) and medium term (3 years)
  5. Expectations: 3 top expectations from the chapters meeting

back to top

Funding & fundraising: current practices & ideas[edit]

Speaker: Rand Montoya
Moderator: facilitator
Session: presentation & discussion
Goal: giving an overview of current practices & ideas regarding funding and fundraising in the chapters and at the foundation
Description
  • Current and best practices in the chapters and at the foundation
  • Breakdown of money from membership fees / donations / grants / merchandise sales / events / other
  • The annual fundraiser and chapters' participation: What worked, what didn't. See also Fundraising 2008/Report
  • Identifying key topics that will be discussed in small workgroups

back to top

Funding & fundraising workgroups[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives, Rand Montoya
Session: workgroups
Goal: exploring & discussing ideas to come up with SMART goals to raise more money and to address the issues raised during the discussion before
Possible topics
  • Fundraising strategies: how chapters can fund-raise better
  • Government aid or European funds
  • Localization of the annual fundraiser: donation channels, local banners, local bank accounts
  • How to avoid leaning too heavily on membership?

back to top

Relationships between chapters[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives, ChapCom (Delphine Ménard, Austin Hair, Anders Wennersten)
Facilitator: facilitator
Session: discussion
Goal: sharing experience regarding the relationships between chapters, and identifying issues to be discussed by the workgroups
Description
  • Coordination of chapters
  • Regional cooperation
  • Real-life meetings
  • Chapters in the making: how the process goes, what existing chapters could do to help future chapters

back to top

"Relationships between chapters" workgroups[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives
Session: workgroups
Goal: exploring & discussing ideas to come up with SMART goals to improve the relationships between chapters and to address the issues raised during the discussion before
Possible topics
  • Coordination of chapters (body/person ?)
  • Relationship of national chapters to sub-national chapters
  • Regional meetings

back to top

Funding requests process[edit]

Speaker: Erik Möller
Mediator: facilitator
Session: presentation & discussion
Goal: presenting & discussing the WMF grants process
Description

back to top

Success stories[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives
Moderator & facilitator: facilitator
Session: presentations & discussion
Goal: sharing experience on things that worked
Possible topics
  • Local partnerships (WM-DE & CC, WM-SR & CC)
  • Organizing Wikimania (WM-TW, WM-AR)
  • Wikipedia takes a city, Wikipedia loves art (WM-NYC, WM-UK)
  • Local upload initiatives. Wikiportret, Pikiwiki (WM-NL, WM-IL)

back to top


Communication & Marketing: current practices & projects[edit]

Speakers: Catrin Schoneville, Guillaume Paumier
Moderator: facilitator
Session: presentation & discussion
Goal: giving an overview of current practices & projects regarding communication, marketing & PR in the chapters
Description
  • Best practices in a global public relations practice
  • Promotional materials: best practices; are their useful, and if yes, for what purpose
  • The PR strategy - strategy plans do we have for the next years?
  • PR material cleanup and PR material revamp

back to top

Communication & marketing workgroups[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives, Catrin Schoneville, Guillaume Paumier
Session: workgroups
Goal: exploring & discussing ideas to come up with SMART goals to improve communication, marketing & PR
Possible topics
  • Possible cooperation in creating and distributing better promotional materials
  • Our official face online
  • A short media relations training opportunity

back to top

Saturday 4th[edit]

Public outreach: current practices & ideas[edit]

Speaker: Frank Schulenburg
Moderator: facilitator
Session: presentation & discussion
Goal: giving an overview of current practices & projects regarding public outreach in the chapters and at the foundation
Description
  • Overview of the current practices amongst chapters
  • Public outreach at the foundation
  • Overview of existing outreach tools; Which tool for which purpose?
  • New ideas (including the "bookshelf")

back to top

Public outreach workgroups[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives & Frank Schulenburg
Session: workgroups
Goal: exploring & discussing ideas to come up with SMART goals to improve the public outreach activities of the chapters
Possible topics
  • How to approach different groups, e.g. universities
  • How to get people involved in editing or how to get the academic circle to participate in the quality control of articles

back to top

Content liberation[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives
Mediator: facilitator
Session: presentations & discussion
Goal: sharing experience regarding a few examples of content liberation following collaborations between wikimedia chapters and organizations
Description

back to top

Working with volunteers & local communities[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives
Facilitator: facilitator
Session: discussion
Goal: sharing experience & issues regarding the recruitment & motivation of volunteers & the relationships with local communities
Possible topics

back to top

Trademark policy and chapter agreements[edit]

Speaker: Mike Godwin
Moderator: facilitator
Session: presentation & discussion
Goal: presenting & discussing changes in the trademark policy & chapter agreements
Description
  • Recent and upcoming changes in the chapters agreements and in trademark policy
  • New logo to be used by the chapters

back to top

Common projects[edit]

Speakers & participants: chapters representatives
Session: discussion
Goal: sharing experience regarding common projects & ideas, and identifying a few specific topics to be discussed by the workgroups
Description
  • Regional cooperation
  • Political lobbying
  • Technical stuff
  • Events

back to top

Common projects workgroups[edit]

Speakers & participants: chapters representatives
Session: workgroups
Goal: exploring & discussing specific topics to come up with SMART goals to plan common projects
Possible topics
  • Regional cooperation
  • Political lobbying
  • Toolserver
  • Mediawiki development
  • Year of the picture

Note: Technical discussions (Toolserver, Mediawiki development) may be moved to the BOF on Sunday morning, depending on the availability of Duesentrieb, Brion & Tim.

back to top

Development of chapters & relationships with the foundation[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives, board & executive staff of the Wikimedia Foundation
Facilitator: facilitator
Session: plenary session; presentation & discussion
Goal: presenting the "Strategy development process" and discussing communication issues between the chapters and the foundation
Description
  • Strategy development process for Wikimedia
  • Communication between Foundation Board, Officers, Committies and Chapters. How to improve it.
  • "Foundation FAQ for typical queries" and "service paths" for typical office actions

back to top

Sunday 5th[edit]

Visions, forecast & long term[edit]

Participants: chapters representatives, general public
Session: workgroups or discussion
Goal: discussions about long-term goals
Description
  • "Be bold"
  • What do we want for the future?

back to top

Birds of a feather[edit]

Speakers: chapters representatives, general public
Facilitator: facilitator
Session: workgroups
Goal: discussing specific topics identified during the meeting
Description

back to top

Wrap-up & announcements[edit]

Speakers: chapters representatives
Moderator: Catrin Schoneville
Session: announcement
Goal: wrapping-up the meeting and announcing its outcomes
Possible topics
  • Agreements
  • Chapter-selected board members

back to top

Misc.[edit]

Committees[edit]

Participants: chapter representatives, WMF staff members
Goal: discussing specific topics in small persistent groups
Description
  • focused topical, small workgroups of interested participants who meet several times over the course of two days
  • results are intended to be presented to, debated by and adopted by the whole group
  • some workgroups may remain functional past the event
Possible topics
  • creating a common set of expectations for fundraising with the foundation
  • setting up common projects undertaken by multiple chapters
  • negotiating business development/trademark usage rules for chapters

back to top

Summary & schedule[edit]

Speaker: facilitator
Goal: reminding the participants of the outcomes from the day before and announcing the schedule of the day

back to top

Wrap-ups[edit]

Speaker: facilitator
Goal: Summarizing outcomes of the day.

back to top

Coffee breaks[edit]

Tea, coffee & orange juice will be proposed.

back to top

Lunches[edit]

Lunches will be served at the venue. Vegetarian food is possible on request.

back to top

Dinners[edit]

Dinner on Thursday will take place in a Greek restaurant called dionysos. Dinner on Friday will be served at the venue. Food on Saturday evening will be proposed during the party.

back to top

Sightseeing[edit]

The office of Wikimedia Deutschland is currently trying to organize some sightseeing for Friday evening. In any case, participants who arrive early or leave late are welcome to organize other visits on WMCON/Sightseeing.

back to top

Party[edit]

We're planning a party at the C-base (venue of the MediaWiki Developer Meet-Up) on Saturday night.

back to top