The countervandalism network
is a distinct group. It is neither
affiliated with nor managed by the
On freenode, the network which hosts the Wikimedia IRC channels, an IRC hostmask cloak replaces the display of your IP address or host name with a cloak. For example,
email@example.com could become
ajvol@wikimedia/Alexander-Sigachov in several IRC-related messages (
/whois, and various join/part/quit notifications, depending on the client of the person seeing the notification). Many people make use of cloaks because an exposed IP can often be considered sensitive and private information. Note that they have no effect on nicknames.
Purposes of a cloak
- Verification on IRC: The primary reason to wear a cloak is to prove that you are the user on-wiki who you say you are on IRC. For example, Furries'
countervandalism/staff/Sactagecloak shows that he is who he says he is, as you cannot add a fake cloak onto yourself.
- Privacy: They are also a way to hide your hostname for security and privacy reasons. Freenode provides an "unaffiliated" cloak to those without a cloak for a particular project. (Note: Unaffiliated cloaks will not hide hostnames for users using the webchat.freenode.net client. Project cloaks do work with webchat, and unaffiliated cloaks will work with other clients).
Gaining a cloak
We currently give out
countervandalism/* cloaks for users where the asterisk stand for the username. If you want such a cloak, please sign in the Requests-section below.
We also grant
cvn/bot/* for bot accounts used in the countervandalism network.
Users who request such cloaks should show some affiliation to the countervandalism network.
Please request a cloak here and then join #countervandalism and link to this request.
- I'm User:Barras and request the cloak "countervandalism/Barras" for my IRC account Barras. -Barras talk 22:18, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
- New request
I'm User:AlexakaAlex and request the cloak "countervandalism/AlexakaAlex" for my IRC account AlexakaAlex. I am affiliated with the countervandalism network by my CVN account.--AlexakaAlex (talk) 23:34, 27 January 2013 (UTC)
- I'm User:Tucoxn and request the cloak "countervandalism/tucoxn" for my IRC account tucoxn. -Tucoxn (talk) 13:06, 9 February 2013 (UTC)
- I'm User:Derpian and request the cloak "countervandalism/Derpian" for my IRC nick Derpian. Derpian (talk) 04:51, 31 July 2013 (UTC)