The countervandalism network
is a distinct group. It is neither
affiliated with nor managed by the
On freenode, the network which hosts the Wikimedia IRC channels, an IRC hostmask cloak replaces the display of your IP address or host name with a cloak. For example,
email@example.com could become
ajvol@wikimedia/Alexander-Sigachov in several IRC-related messages (
/whois, and various join/part/quit notifications, depending on the client of the person seeing the notification). Many people make use of cloaks because an exposed IP can often be considered sensitive and private information. Note that they have no effect on nicknames.
Purposes of a cloak
- Verification on IRC: The primary reason to wear a cloak is to prove that you are the user on-wiki who you say you are on IRC. For example, Furries'
countervandalism/staff/Sactagecloak shows that he is who he says he is, as you cannot add a fake cloak onto yourself.
- Privacy: They are also a way to hide your hostname for security and privacy reasons. Freenode provides an "unaffiliated" cloak to those without a cloak for a particular project. (Note: Unaffiliated cloaks will not hide hostnames for users using the webchat.freenode.net client. Project cloaks do work with webchat, and unaffiliated cloaks will work with other clients).
Gaining a cloak
We currently give out
countervandalism/* cloaks for users where the asterisk stand for the username. If you want such a cloak, please sign in the Requests-section below.
We also grant
cvn/bot/* for bot accounts used in the countervandalism network.
Users who request such cloaks should show some affiliation to the countervandalism network.
Please request a cloak here and then join #countervandalism and link to this request.
- I'm User:Barras and request the cloak "countervandalism/Barras" for my IRC account Barras. -Barras talk 22:18, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
- New request
- I'm User:Matiia and request the cloak "countervandalism/Matiia" for my IRC account Matiia. --Matiia (talk) 14:56, 16 October 2014 (UTC)
- I'm User:Syum90 and request the cloak "countervandalism/Syum90" for my IRC account Syum90.--Any comment?Syum90 17:19, 21 October 2014 (UTC)
- I'm User:Eurodyne and request the cloak "countervandalism/Eurodyne" for my IRC account Eurodyne. Eurodyne (talk) 04:36, 1 November 2014 (UTC)
- Comment - I generally do not handle cloak requests, but as a CVN Staffer I do have serious concerns about your behavior CVN channels as well as your behavior and outstanding blocks on WMF wikis. The reviewing GC/Senior Staffer should consider these factors before making a decision. --Seahorseruler (Talk Page) (Contribs) 23:31, 1 November 2014 (UTC)
- Not done - I won't grant a cloak related to our group when fellow staffers feel rather uncomfortable with it. -Barras talk 11:59, 2 November 2014 (UTC)