Esperanto kaj Libera Scio
Esperanto kaj Libera Scio (ELiSo, 'Esperanto and Free Knowledge' in English) is a group of Wikimedians who speak Esperanto. The group was recognized as a Wikimedia User Group by the Wikimedia Foundation's Affiliations Committee on 4 April 2013.
Focus and scope: to unite Esperanto-speaking people who edit Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, or want to support free knowledge in other ways.
Esperanto-speaking Wikimedians are active all over the world, in Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia and in the chapters. Sometimes it makes sense to organize a meeting of our own, or coordinate the work better, to create and distribute outreach and teaching aids, or to have someone who can represent the Esperanto speaking Wikimedians as a group – towards the other Wikimedia organizations, or towards the Esperanto organizations. Esperanto conventions are a great opportunity to talk about Wikipedia and free knowledge, for other activities a special convention for Esperanto speaking Wikimedians makes more sense.
To distinguish itself from merely an online WikiProject, the group will perform projects that include offline work, such as: organization of events, public presentations, partnerships with institutions, field work, mail contact). A few activities of this kind are already on-going, being developed either by individuals or within the informal Wikipedia workgroup of the Esperanto NGO Education@Internet. Examples of the group's prospective activities include:
- publicity, lectures and training about Wikipedia, other Wikimedia projects and the free knowledge movement, organized during Esperanto conventions (KAEST, UK, IJK, SES) all over the world, and in cooperation with Esperanto clubs and possibly also the respective national Wikimedia chapter – such activities provide the possibility of using Esperanto and the existing structures within the 125-year-old Esperanto movement to reach a very multinational and multilingual educated public, including countries and languages still minor or inexistent in the Wikimedia world
- monitoring of current activities and the development status of the Esperanto Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikinews, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikivoyage) and aid with reporting to Wikimedia Foundation and the public; active support to those projects with very little editor engagement
- "Esperanto in Wikipedia" – recruitment of volunteers from the World Esperanto Association (national organizations in 70 countries, individual members in 121 countries) and use of the translation interface developed by E@I with the goal of raising the "Esperanto" article on as many language versions of the Wikipedia as possible to a featured article, through a coordinated effort at translation and localization of a model article already in place and featured in Czech and Slovak Wikipedia – this could result in a new model of a coordinated multilingual cooperation that could be generalized in the future to cover more topics and be used also by other Wikimedia communities
- organization of Wikimedia workshops within Esperanto-related GLAM institutions all over the world (such as Department of Planned Languages and Esperanto Museum in Vienna, Esperanto Museum of Svitavy or Intercultural Centre of the Esperanto city of Herzberg) that would involve group members and local volunteers in acquiring digital copies of free-license material (literature, photos, posters, postcards, historical documents...) from institutional collections and its publishing on Wikimedia Commons and/or Wikisource
- aid to the afore-mentioned GLAM institutions by recruiting and coordinating multilingual volunteers within the group and the Esperanto community with the goal of translating Wikipedia articles about topics related to the institution into as many languages as possible, and equipping the institution with QR codes linking to them (QRpedia)
- active and directed promotion of free licenses – overview of Esperanto-related material available in the public domain and particularly material that has been released under a free license by the copyright holder; publicity and infrastructure for free licenses (lectures, articles, aid to OTRS staff with submissions written in Esperanto, creation of license release forms and assistance with their use); coordinated campaign seeking the release of works under a free license by engaging group members and other volunteers in coming in contact with copyright holders (Esperanto authors are often keen but elderly people, so that regular mail and/or personal visits might be necessary) and requesting them to release their works under a free license (as an added value for other communities, this might include also works written by the individual but with no relation to Esperanto)
- WikiTrans – cooperation between the developer of the GramTrans machine translation engine and the Esperanto Wikipedia community with the aim of providing a Wikipedia gadget which might simplify the creation of new articles in Esperanto based on machine translations of articles in the English Wikipedia – this might later be generalized and seek for attention of the whole Wikimedia community, as GramTrans is introducing support for extra languages (such as Danish)
- coordination of an international campaign (with close cooperation with the dedicated person in the World Esperanto Association) and possibly coverage of costs for volunteers travelling to take photographs of Zamenhof-Esperanto objects (monuments related to Esperanto and/or its creator by their purpose or name) – because of their scarcity and spread across the globe, any reimbursements would probably need to be conditioned by the photographer's simultaneous contribution to another existing project of similar kind running in the particularly country (such as photography of nearby cultural monuments, villages, protected trees etc.)
In August 2013, Blahma gave a talk at Wikimania 2013, building on the experience of the Esperanto community, suggesting a formal process for reproducing a featured article into other languages by coordinated effort. Collaborative contacts with other Wikimedians interested in multilingualism and translation have been established.
Presentation about Esperanto kaj Libera Scio during cultural Esperanto meeting Arkones 2013.
Presentation about Esperanto kaj Libera Scio during youth Esperanto meeting Junulara E-Semajno 2013/2014. During this meeting was organized 1 hour Wikipedia training.
- Arno Lagrange
- Γλαύκος (talk)
- Lu Wunsch-Rolshoven
- Orange Mike
- Pavla Dvořáková
- Psychoslave (talk) 11:00, 5 April 2013 (UTC)
- Robert Weemeyer
- Theomanou (talk) 06:52, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- ThomasPusch (talk) 23:05, 17 October 2013 (UTC)
- Yvesn (talk) 14:47, 18 February 2013 (UTC)
- gangleri aka לערי ריינהארט ( )
- Orange Mike