Philip Greenspun illustration project
|This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.|
|Languages:||English · Deutsch · español · français · 日本語 · polski|
The Philip Greenspun illustration project is a project to fund the creation and improvement of illustrations for Wikimedia, thanks to a donation by Philip Greenspun for this specific purpose. The project is being coordinated by Brianna Laugher (user:pfctdayelise) in conjunction with Cary Bass (User:Bastique), the Wikimedia Foundation Volunteer Coordinator.
The WMF Board passed a resolution to support this project in September 2007:
- (Spanish) Oswaldo (User:Oswaldo2025)
- (Français) Rémi (User:Korrigan)
- (Japanese) Hiroki (User:Bletilla)
- (Polski) Wojciech (User:Wpedzich)
- Facilitate the creation of diagrams that would otherwise be unlikely to receive attention due to their topic or complexity
- Raise awareness of the value of illustrations and encourage their use where appropriate in the Wikimedia projects
- Grow the community of illustration creators within Wikimedia.
- /Outreach: announcing to various Wikimedia channels
- /Translation: please take part in translating information about this project to as many languages as possible!
- Review group: If you are interested in being part of the Review group, please contact Brianna.
- /Requests: collecting illustration requests/suggestions. This stage is CLOSED.
- /Round 1 from August - October 2008. This stage is now CLOSED.
- There is now a mailing list. Potential illustrators are encouraged to join!
“It occurred to me that when the dust settled on the Wikipedia versus Britannica question, the likely conclusion would be 'Wikipedia is more up to date; Britannica has better illustrations.'”