Grants:IEG/Convidando o Brasil
status: not selected
Convidando o Brasil (Inviting Brazil), is a project for volunteers, or volunteer, to work on dissemination, training and partnerships throughout Brazil.
Portuguese Wikipedia and sister projects, Brasil
Increasing Participation, Increasing Reach.
total amount requested:
18,000 + 12,000 USD or 5'750 USD (see budget)
201 round 1
Outreach program in Brazil, including on-line and off-line tools, focused on motivating volunteers, and create a methodology to others volunteers continue the program.
Brazil does not have many volunteers, and the vast majority of volunteers are concentrated in the Southern-east/Southern Brazil. Moreover, the penetration of the Wikimedia movement is very low in the country, ie. Wikipedia is not even one of the 10 most visited sites.
The project's goal is to bring in new volunteers, and train new volunteers from all regions of Brazil. And also learn what is the best method to attract volunteers, testing online and offline methods, measuring and evaluating the results.
But the main focus is in that they initiate educational projects aimed at building collaborative free resources, using the Wikimedia Movement as a platform. Notwithstanding the previous point, we will also go beyond the universities, seeking regional groups of free culture, other potential contributors, which retain much culture, but not yet fully utilize the Wikimedia potential.
And to improve the project impact, and others do the same activities, all the data collected during the project will serve to create a methodology to motivate volunteers and continue the project.
This was a project originally written as a submission to the Fellowship Program: Wikimedia Fellowships/Project Ideas/Convidando o Brasil.
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Background
- 4 Project plan
- 4.1 On-line - Scope and activities
- 4.2 Off-line - Scope and activities
- 4.3 Timeline
- 5 Budget:
- 6 Intended impact:
- 7 Fit with strategy
- 8 Sustainability
- 9 Measures of success
- 10 Participants
- Movimento Wikimedia Brasil
In many parts of the text you will see that the term Wikimedia Movement Brazil is used, or Movement. In Brazil to do the best work possible (or impossible) with the community, we treat partners as part of the Movement, as the definition of Wikimedia Movement, so this project is not something just for the "chapter", this project is oriented to help movement as a whole, including projects as the WMF Brazil Catalyst Project. If you see the Programs, there are many points that are common between the two, but there is no accident, this project was designed to address several gaps in Brazil. We have a consistent group of volunteers working in the country since 2008 which develops a wonderful job and work without money. We are currently present in several states, but as the penetration of Wikipedia itself is low, we are not represented in certain regions. Almost all our activities are concentrated in the hub Rio-São Paulo, most of that because of the lack of a critical mass of volunteers in other places.
- About Brazil
Brazil is a country of continental proportions, which has little penetration of the Wikimedia movement and most activities of WMF have been centered in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro cities thus far. Wikipedia is not even one of the 10 most visited sites, but given the educational deficit of the country, in particular regarding the quality of educational resources, there is clearly much potential for growth.
- In green
You will see throughout the text parts of it is green. Everything green, depends on an expense of approximately $ 12,000 more on the project budget, which is not completely necessary, however, this can greatly improve the project, moreover, this equipment will serve many, many other activities in Brazil. This equipment expenditures are green in the budget section with the justifications for buying it.
- In pink
It's all activities directly related with the WMF Brazil Catalyst Project.
On-line - Scope and activities
On-line work will be the creation of material of the movement, as better help pages, creation of tutorials video and institutional videos. For the establishment or evaluation of these materials, during this program, we will check what materials that have brought results to lusophones, calibrating so what is needed for a good advertising material.
The idea here is to spread the movement to allow more people to become volunteers improving existing help pages and creating videos.
Readers are the people who do not edit yet, but makes frequent use, or not, of the content generated by the communities. So, it would be more spread out Wiki sites, or on more visible areas of the sites, as sitenotice.
"Wiki for dummies"
Here we would write to the Wikimedia Movement is organized, what are the ideals, the reasons why we do and brief explanations of all existing projects. Explanations as "Wikipedia/books/... is not just a Web site and is not a company", how is organized, how the content control works, which means the free, and especially the ideals and that there are other Wikimedia projects.
These texts would be created along the Portuguese-speaking communities, improving the design of existing pages, and to sum up and empower the existing texts. Would also be created versions for distribution in social networks, perhaps small videos.
How to participate
Many times people do not become volunteers by simply not knowing how, then the idea is improve the existing explanation (or create) of how to become a volunteer, in which people can contribute and how.
This also involves how they can edit. To facilitate the visualization, we will modernize pages of tutorials, creating short videos, and without leaving out the usability, we will also create better and illustrated texts. The base.
How exploit the project
Many see the Wikipedia and other projects as just a means of research. Here would be an incitement to other types of exploitation, as improve the writing, increase the level of argument and social coexistence, enhancement of the volunteer work, the search for new knowledge, understanding of other cultures.
How to behave
We will create these tips of recommended to auxiliary newcomers to not disrupt the organization of the communities. How to behave, sometimes it's just a cultural issue, so to lessen the culture shock between outsiders and communities insiders.
Creation of institutional videos
Short ludic videos (~30s) that could be replicated via social media, to for volunteers and for readers.
Including testimonials from volunteers and program participants in Brazil.
To make a qualitative analysis of workshops and lectures, one of the ideas is to record short statements about what has been absorbed, and what could be improved. We could also ask for people, who want, talk before and after the presentation what they think about the Movement, then we get to feel the level of understanding absorbed.
The idea is to record people who are editing for the first time, and see which are the greatest difficulties and the greatest facilities. And we will check if the workshop and the material that we provide is sufficient to overcome the difficulties.
Thinking of upgrading the pages of tutorials, we will create a range of short duration videos (15-30s), direct to the point. These videos will be tested during workshops.
Off-line - Scope and activities
To increase the number of skilled volunteers, and to motivate new editors, fieldwork would be conducted using the material created for us to increase the bus factor of the programs carried out in Brazil, as well as increasing the number of editors in content projects.
Spread the idea
- Step zero
- Identify biggest schools and colleges with potential for developing Wiki activities;
- Identify groups of free culture (GFC);
- Prioritize groups;
- Identify free cultural events that may serve to disseminate the mutirões (has begun);
- Step 1
- Start working on publicity and lectures at schools/GFC in priority, traveling as necessary;
- Empower people who show interest in volunteering to join in the Movement;
- Work with "trained" people or stakeholders to identify more teachers/volunteers with the potential to embrace the project;
- Empower people who show interest in volunteering to join in the Movement;
- Attend interesting events to publicize the program or to spread the word;
- All along
- Document the efforts and discuss optimizations with the Wikimedia community, as well as evaluate decisions for future steps;
- Make several small meetings with older volunteers and new interested people.
- In the end
- Back to the places visited, to follow up with the work as necessary;
"Institutional" printable material
This is a high quality material, what is required for some more formal partnerships.
For partnerships, it is interesting that there is a printed material that can be delivered in person to sum up the entire movement and our global importance. There is a material under construction File:Wikimedia Brasil nas escolas.pdf (the cover could be easily swapped), however, it does not meet all audiences, and would be required the creation of other types of materials in order to adapt the reality of the partner concerned.
For massive disclosures
Every time we have a big event in Brazil we have to or ask for materials created in the USA, or we have to generate a scratch that we don't know the impact. The idea is to create various types of materials and see which ones have more positive return. We've done something along those lines but haven't tested, like this. And we also need to check out which best cost benefit material. This material will be used to all kinds of activities that may have a large audience interested, unlike institutional materials, these should be low cost because there will be a wide distribution, but maintaining the quality.
As the project is already happening in SPaulo some schools, as well as some cultural groups are already interacting.
- March 2 - Explanation about the Movement to FDE and Overmundo.
- March 19 - lecture in school
- Creation of first tutorials
First 2 months
In the first two months we all project organization as well as the creation of all material.
First video campaign
It is not possible to embrace the world with $ 30k, a very small staff team and short time. With that in mind, we believe that the institutional video based on successful cases of Wikimedia Brazil volunteers, should be the starting point. This should be built with a dynamic language, current and focused on the concepts of collaboration, commitment and personal evolution.
So we will build a call for action video campaign based on the idea: "I always thought that somebody should do something about that. Then I realized I am somebody."
At this initial stage we will shoot 5 volunteers who represent the social, cultural and geographic diversity of the country, and that play different roles within the Movement, trying to illustrate the full range of the Movement in Brazil.
We will create a series of 15 seconds videos, with arguments for collaboration. The idea is to bring that movement is composed of ordinary people who perform extraordinary things with their knowledge, that participation is relatively simple, and the movement is one of the most serious and structured communities in the world, present in more than one hundred countries.
Furthermore, each of the five volunteers will have a 60 seconds video, with the script: context, collaboration historic with the Wikimedia Movement and motivations.
- Who gonna be evolved
- Márcio and Rodrigo.
First material creation
Based on the experiences that we have in activities already undertaken, will be created the first models of printed materials, aimed at schools.
- Material for teachers;
- This material will show how the teacher can apply the wiki model classes, complementing the model that he has already uses.
- Material for students;
- A basic material, with small editing tips and presentation of other communities beyond Wikipedia.
- Material for school board.
- Institutional material demonstrating all Wikimedia Movement, its scope, importance, data, and especially goals and objectives.
- Who gonna be evolved
- Célio and Rodrigo.
Next 2 months
Working with schools
Start the real work with schools using the material created, here will be two types of approaches:
- Talks focused on close partnerships with the school as a whole, involving all teachers and school bodies. These conversations we do not have expectations that partnerships be achieved overnight, so the idea is to start conversations to pursue plans for the start of the second semester.
- Another type of action, will be punctual actions with teachers who work in schools that we want to close partnerships, or who have an interest in performing activities with us. We will also work giving lectures in schools, without pretense of immediate closure a partnership for a whole semester or year program.
Total amount requested
18'000 + 12'000 or 5'750 (USD)
- Project manager (full-time): 10'000
- Support material: 1'000 (prints, t-shirts, banners..)
- Travels: 7'000 - All prices below are for low cost hotels like Ibis Budget, and economy class tickets.
|Item||cost (USD)||units||partial total|
|Fly ticket South/Southeast (one mouth earlier)||200||6||1200|
|Fly ticket Norht/Northeast/Central-West (one mouth earlier)||360||6||2160|
|Accommodation (average period of travel, 4 nights.)||80||48||3840|
Video and photographic components: 12'000
These materials are professional grade and they will vastly improve the quality of the audio, photos and videos generated by Wikimedia Brasil. Furthermore, they are built for field work and can endure, at least, 3 years of heavy use.
Or Video and photographic components: 5'750
This is a more delicate equipment, out of the professional grade, the quality of indoor videos gonna be equivalent, and the audio equipment is almost the same..
We expect to build a greater penetration in the country with this project, increasing the diversity of participants and stretching out of the Rio-São Paulo axis.
We will also aim to reduce the gender gap in the Movement. For example, one Wiki workshop already held with Fora do Eixo had 100% female participation. Listening to their criticisms we will reduce usability problems and increase the real number of girls using MediaWiki.
We may be able to catalyse education and culture in the country. We expect to increase significantly the number of volunteers with greater penetration throughout the country.
As a result, many cultural and educational articles/books/classes/media shall be generated.
Fit with strategy
- Increasing Participation
- Bringing new volunteers, and facilitate their entrance
- Decreasing the gender gap
- Increasing the penetration in Brazil
- Encourage diversity
- Support volunteer initiatives
- Increasing Reach
- Stabilize infrastructure
- Spread information
By engaging and empowering trained volunteers in each regions, they can perform activities independently, while counting with the on-line support of the Wikimedia Brasil community.
All work will be thoroughly and continuously documented. This model can be applied at any scale and in any location.
Measures of success
- The creation of all materials listed;
- Partnership with at least 3 large schools (~5000 students);
- Association with at least 5 groups of free culture;
- Getting hold workshops for at least 150 people of all ages;
- Present lectures in all regions of Brazil;
- Achieve at least 10 new volunteers to Wikimedia Brazil (today we have ~32, so +30%);
- Achieve at least 150 new volunteers for Lusophone projects (~+10%), being at least 50 girls (~+66% of the total);
- Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m
- About: I'm volunteer of Wikimedia Movement since 2006, Movimento Wikimedia Brasil volunteer since the beginning, undergoing several important processes such as the discussion of the Strategic Planning of the Movement.
- I also do volunteer work in others Movements and NGOs for over 12 years. More recently I realized works as a community mobilizer in a collaborative mapping project. Today I do volunteer work with Teto a NGO how works with social empowerment with families in conditions of extreme poverty.
- I studied mechanical engineering (not finished), got a notion in photography, I have skill in photos and videos editing tools, as well as post-production. And desktop publishing software.
- I am administrator of almost every Facebook page of Lusophone projects, the exception is Wikipedia, I am only publisher there. I received a little while ago this accesses, and only dedicated a little time on Wikivoyage page, now this is the second page in likes among the lusophones on Facebook.
- About: I am a volunteer of Wikimedia projects since 2004 and I became administrator on Wikipedia and Wiquote during the following year. I consider myself committed to the coloborative and decentralized production of free knowledge. I worked for years teaching History and Portuguese language to high school students, when I used with frequency the Wikimedia projects as a pedagogical tool. I did the same helping a teacher in the university of UFOP even before meeting the educational projects promoted by the Wikimedia Foundation. I have a degree in Linguistics from UNICAMP and I am currently working in implementation of a wiki at FMUSP, the University of São Paulo Medical School.
- Marcio De Assis (talk) 21:54, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
- About: I am a volunteer of Wikimedia Movement since 2011. My main objective is the improvement of the contact among the participants through events and other forms of communication. I attended the Wikimania 2012 in Washington - DC and, since last year, I am one the events planners at Wikimedia Brazil. I have a degree and a post-degree in Communications from ESPM and I have an MBA in IT Management from FIA/USP. I have been working with advertisement in the last 20 years and, nowadays, I am the Marketing Communications Manager in one of the leading industrial companies in Brazil.
Part 3: Community Discussion
Please paste a link to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions, here.
- Brazilian mailing list, ;
- Wikimedia Brasil Facebook group;
- s:pt:Wikisource:Esplanada/Convidando o Brasil
- n:pt:Wikinotícias:Redação/Convidando o Brasil (16/02/2013)
- Brazil Program (Still a draft)
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Community member: add your name and rationale here.
- Solstag (talk) 14:18, 7 February 2013 (UTC)
- Back in 2010, I emphatically told WMF staff that they should forget all about offices, chapters, programs and fundraising in Brazil for a few years and throw every single penny they had allocated for Brazil in funding itinerant groups or individuals that would move around the country stopping to engage and empower already existing educational and cultural structures, both formal and informal, both from the government and civil society. Here we might have the opportunity to finally try this by ourselves. So, although I am personally unable to "fellowteer" for such an effort, I second Sturm in saying that "All we need is projects like this!".
- EternamenteAprendiz (talk) 21:25, 8 February 2013 (UTC)
- We sure need more brazilians in wikipedia, but we have so many rude and arrogant adms that I think they wouldn't stay long. I approve, but we need to improve our administraion too for them to stay.
- Vinicius Siqueira (talk) 00:32, 12 February 2013 (UTC)
- Portuguese Wikipedia is under an important decrease of editors. This proposal is very clear on what kind of volunteers it wants to reach; exactly groups of people that are already involved in free knowledge activities. That's why I am sure that the ououtcome cannot be other than the increase of editors and spreading the Wiki idea around the country. Moreover, Rodrigo is a very reliable volunteer and heading this project is another demonstration of his commitment with Wikimedia projects.
- Tom (talk) 19:11, 13 February 2013 (UTC)
- As I said in the previous proposal and being shorter now, I think this can help the Education Program in Brazil.
- Notice: this is a comment done with my volunteer account used usually on my spare time, since I also have the working account ezalvarenga as a freelancer for Wikimedia Foundation.
- Marcio De Assis (talk) 15:14, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
- I do believe a project like this can be a game changer. You can count on me.
- Raylton P. Sousa (talk) 16:23, 16 February 2013 (UTC)
- Undoubtedly very important to strengthen the Wikimedia Movement in Brazil
- Jonas AGX (talk) 12:36, 18 February 2013 (UTC)
- I second Solstag which second Sturm in saying that "All we need is projects like this!".
- MetalBrasil (talk) 13:21, 18 February 2013 (UTC)
- Rodrigo traveling throughout diffusing our movement just could mean he turned out in a bagman or he's doing a valuable work to our community. Strongly support.
- Gusta (talk) 22:02, 21 February 2013 (UTC)
- Count on me!