Grants:WM AR/Annual Program Plan 2012/Report/Q1
Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement? Yes
January and February are months of low institutional activity in Argentina due to summer break. Much of the population, especially educational institutions, have administration and leisure breaks during those months. For this reason, many of the projects involving relationships with these institutions began to develop from March 2012.
January was a particularly active month for advocacy and media relationships, especially because of the active role that Wikimedia Argentina adopted regarding global protests against SOPA and PIPA. Wikimedia Argentina (WA) members offered numerous interviews to printed media, radio and television across the country and even at the regional level. In addition, they participated in activities related to social movements in the World Social Forum in Porto Alegre, Brazil.
Between February and March we performed various activities related to our work areas.
About GLAM activities, we moved forward in the cooperation agreement with the Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Buenos Aires to promote the digitalisation of its historic collections. We also planned and carried out a breakfast on legal issues, which involved intellectual property experts, archivists and librarians, as well as civil servants in the area of museums and archives of the City of Buenos Aires. For this event we invited the Public leader of Creative Commons France, who came to Buenos Aires thanks to the support of CNRS France, the research institute that paid her trip and also sponsored our participation in GLAM-Wiki Santiago de Chile. We held meetings with the heritage institutional area of Buenos Aires City Government and the National Commission for Museums, Monuments and Historical Places, with whom we began a process of cooperation for Wiki Loves Monuments and other activities in the future. We started working on a legal guide for GLAM institutions.
We are particularly proud of the significant advance in our strategy of gender democracy within the organisation. It is noteworthy that much of the ongoing projects are led by women from Wikimedia Argentina, giving visibility to the work of women within the movement. On the other hand, we are working hard in organising Wikigénero and WikiWomenCamp, both events scheduled for next May.
As part of our federalisation strategy, we are planning future activities in the inner states of the country, particularly in Rosario (June), Córdoba (August) and Mendoza (June). In all these events, the visibility of women and cooperation with local women's organisations are key strategies.
We also had workshops with teachers from the Ministry of Education of the City of Buenos Aires, who are assisting us updating the booklet Wikipedia in the Classroom. We are also developing a work strategy to promote and facilitate the use of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects in different educational levels.
The Ministry of Education of the City of Buenos Aires will support our outreach strategy, by publishing the Wikimedia Argentina institutional videos in their website, which gets 3,500,000 hits per month.
Institutionally, we signed an agreement with the Universidad Nacional de La Plata for the installation of Wikimedia Argentina offices at the headquarters of the UNLP postgraduates house in the City of Buenos Aires. This will also allow us the use of the facilities for special events such as WikiWomenCamp.
Federalization activities 
Objectives: To organize two events in cities away from Buenos Aires to promote the participation of Wikimedians from the inner provinces of the country in the projects.
Acitivites: Two projects were started to be developed in the period:
- Planification for a 3-day workshop in Rosario City, with the National University of Rosario as part of the Congress of Web-journalism that will be hosted by the university in June. At least, 20 journalists from different Argentinian cities are expected to take part in the workshop. The workshop will include tracks about Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikinews, free licences, and will be organized by Evelin Heidel, Beatrice Murch and Beatriz Busaniche, active members of Wikimedia Argentina.
- Planification of workshops in Córdoba province during August, in General Deheza, Villa María and Córdoba City.
Gender gap activities 
Objectives: Increase female participation in Wikimedia Argentina by 25%.
- Incorporate gender policies of Wikimedia Argentina to work. We incorporated as part of our core the gender policies designed internationally by the Heinrich Boell Foundation (Germany). From this categorization of gender, any activity that takes Wikimedia Argentina includes a gender democracy perspective in aspects such as the creation of participants in the panels in events, support for project participation and visibility of women's work in the organization.
- Organize an event about gender policies within the Wikimedia movement. Wikimedia Argentina has planned to hold the event WikiGénero for Saturday May 26. Academic researchers on gender gap in Wikipedia will be invited as well as participants on Wikimedia projects and important members of feminist Argentinian movements. The meeting, that will also address LGBT perspectives on Wikimedia, will take place at the Centro Cultural Ricardo Rojas of the University of Buenos Aires. As part of the work of federalization, women from social organizations in the inner provinces of the country will be invited, especially those from cities that will host activities as part of the Federalization program: (Córdoba, Mendoza and Rosario). This gender-related event was expected to be originally hosted in March, but the date was moved to match up with WikiWomenCamp so international female members of the Wikimedia movement could also be part of it. Because of the incorporation of foreigner participants, some adjusts will have to be done to cover some unexpected expenses, like simultaneous translation of some presentations.
- WikiWomenCamp: Wikimedia Argentina will be the host organizer of this meeting, that it is planned for May 23 to May 25, 2012
- Carri, Paula (2012-03-23). Mujeres de wiki tomar. Las 12, Página/12. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Intellectual property and free licenses 
Objectives: Promote discussion about intellectual property policies in the country and the use of Creative Commons licenses, compatible with Wikimedia projects.
- As an affiliate of Creative Commons International in Argentina, we keep the site http://www.creativecommons.org.ar updated. From there, we answered user questions about licenses and promoted discussions on the national list of Creative Commons. To facilitate this work of promoting free licensing, we registered the frequently asked questions about licenses and we made a summary about them, available here in a PDF file.
- We began work for a legal guide about licenses for GLAM institutions.
- We offered lectures, participated in panels and did press and dissemination activities relating to intellectual property and free licenses. Among the events we participated, we highlight:
- Participation of Government Web seminar, Cultural Center of Cooperation. January 9, 2012.
- Participation in the debate on IP as part of the thematic groups at the World Social Forum in Porto Alegre (Brazil). January 12, 2012.
- Debate on Intellectual Property in the Faculty of Arts, University of Buenos Aires. March 27, 2012.
- Participation in the seminar "Digital media and intellectual property on the Internet", organized by the Association of Argentine Journalism Entities (ADEPA) and Digital Publishers Argentinos (AEDIA). March 28, 2012.
Objectives: Create a public communication strategy
- Website www.wikimedia.org.ar updated regularly.
- We expanded our base of press contacts and media.
- We are finalizing corporate videos, to be distributed in different media.
- We had an agreement with the Ministry of Education of the City of Buenos Aires, the publication of the videos of Wikimedia and Wikipedia on the home page of Integration Technology (INTEC). This site has a monthly traffic of 3.5 million visitors, as it is the default login page for all computers (netbooks and notebooks) delivered to students and teachers throughout the public school system of the City of Buenos Aires.
- Wikipedia's 11th birthday was celebrated in Buenos Aires: http://www.wikimedia.org.ar/node/
- January 2012:
- Newscast in CN 23 (news channel) http://www.wikimedia.org.ar/node/80
- Interview in TN (nationwide news channel): http://www.wikimedia.org.ar/node/74
- Op-ed in the print and online edition of La Nación newspaper: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1441416-en-defensa-de-la-libertad
- Interview in La Capital newspaper: http://www.lacapital.com.ar/ed_senales/2012/1/edicion_162/contenidos/noticia_5021.html
- TV channel NTN24, with impact in Central America and the U.S. Hispanic population: http://www.ntn24.com/videos/ley-sopa-y-ley-pipa-generan-hu-035817-035817
- February 2012
- Participation in Bajada de Línea show, hosted by Víctor Hugo Morales in Canal 9 Buenos Aires: http://www.victorhugomorales.com.ar/?p=3243
- March 2012:
- Participation in Banda 3D show, at Metro Channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b-CbrmCW1vY
- Discussion of intellectual property on the Internet, in La Voz del Interior. http://www.lavoz.com.ar/noticias/politica/discusion-propiedad-intelectual-internet
Objectives: Promote the use of Wikipedia in educational environments, at different levels, including Bilingual Education in indigenous languages of the region.
- "Wikipedia in the classroom" program (Wikipedia en el aula) starts to be updated.
- Started cooperation with InTec, Ministry of Education of the City of Buenos Aires. The project includes:
- Pedagogical analysis of Wikipedia en el aula booklet, for future update
- Contribution by InTec pedagogues for the improvement and expansion of the booklet
- Conducting a Wikipedia editing tutorial by InTec to distribute in schools of the City of Buenos Aires and publish on its website of educational resources, available under Creative Commons licenses.
- Completion of a workshop for pedagogical trainers on IT topics.
- Conducting a pilot test in at least one school in the City of Buenos Aires, to promote the adoption, use and edit Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.
- Participation in Virtual Education Congress organized by Ministry of Education of the City of Buenos Aires, on a date to define, for the month of June 2012 in the Exhibition Centre of the City.
Objectives: Promote cooperation with GLAM institutions
- "Digital public domain" breakfast: On March 8, a breakfast meeting was conducted jointly with the Master of Intellectual Property of FLACSO Argentina. With the support of the French Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), we had the presence of Melanie Dulong de Rosnay, researcher specializing in public domain digitalization, member of the Communia project and public leader of Creative Commons in France. The breakfast was attended by intellectual property specialists, librarians and academics, representatives of GLAM institutions and members of Wikimedia Argentina. Its conclusions would be part of a research paper under work by Beatriz Busaniche and Melanie Dulong de Rosnay, to be published in English, French and Spanish by the French CNRS. The event was fully recorded on audio and it is waiting its transcription to initiate a second round with participants.
- GLAMWiki Santiago: We participate in Encuentro GLAM-WIKI Santiago 2012, an event organized by Wikimedia Chile. Funding for travel to Chile and participate in this meeting was provided by the CNRS.
- Agreements with cultural institutions:
- Currently planning a cooperation program with the National Commission of Museums, Monuments and Sites, under the National Ministry of Culture. In this framework, we anticipate activities throughout the year such as Wiki Loves Monuments, workshops at the National School of Museology, photographic hunts, among others.
- Agreement with the Faculty of Arts at the University of Buenos Aires. In this framework, public domain works held by the Library and the Historical Archive of the Faculty of Arts are being scanned. In this context we also work in a cooperative agreement with Internet Archive to digitize and put online some public domain works.
- We held meetings with the Heritage Deputy Director of the City of Buenos Aires, with whom we work in coordination with other institutions such as the Historical Archives and the Department of Museums of the City of Buenos Aires.
- We held meetings with the Office of Open Government of the Ministry of Modernisation of the City of Buenos Aires to support and promote OpenData initiatives and open access to public information. We help in drafting the decree of open government of the City of Buenos Aires.
- We started the construction of three do-it-yourself scanners with Derecho a Leer. We planned to deliver these scanners to three different cultural institutions, so they can scan material found in their archives or libraries but cannot be scanned yet because of the lack of training and/or equipment. So far, we have discussed with two important institutions on this opportunity, and they are very interested in the proposal. Also, we spoke with InTec of the Ministry of Education of the City of Buenos Aires on the possibility of workshops in secondary schools about how to build a scanner.
- We began work for a legal guide about licenses for GLAM institutions.
Objectives: Strengthen cooperation between the Ibero American Wikimedia community.
Activities: In the framework of the Ibero American cooperation, we keep discussions with chapters and working groups from the region. In that sense, a common position about fundraising and funds dissemnination was discussed and signed the document. Mailing lists were created for coordination about educational outreach efforts and for promotion of indigenous languages projects, both being totally open to any suscriber. Also we are designing a joint management strategy communication through social networks. In June, two members of Wikimedia Argentina will participate in the Ibero-American meeting, to be hosted in Santiago, Chile.
Internal development 
- An agreement with the National University of La Plata was signed for the establishment of an office of Wikimedia Argentina at the venue of the Master programs of the university in the City of Buenos Aires. The agreement provides for the payment of a monthly rental and maintenance of internet facilities in the house located in Ayacucho 132, City of Buenos Aires. It is still needed to adquire and install furnitures and equipment for the office.
- Monthly reports have been regularly published with the work of the organization, currently availables on
- Monthly meetings with members have been held and the minute book has been updated regularly.
- We host the meeting of ArgentinaStorytelling in our office.
- Annual balance, memory, audit report and audit committee for the year 2011 were presented and approved by the members.
- Galileo Vidoni and Ivana Lysholm, Vice-President and Secretary of Wikimedia Argentina, took part of the Wikimedia Conference 2012 in representation of the association . The event took place in Berlin (Germany), between March 31 and April 2.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures 
Did you send WMF documentation of all expenses paid for with grant funds?
Details of expenditures:
|Wikimedia Foundation Annual Grant||438.593,84||100.826,17|
|Rent (paid for 12 months)||24.000,00||5.517,24|
|Wikimedia Conference participation||24.111,10||5.542|
|Air travel tickets||17.611,10||4.048,53|
|Air travel tickets (to be reimbursed by Wikimedia France)||8.128,20||1.868,55|
|GLAM Wiki Santiago||180,00||41,38|
|Q1 net income||331.790,40||76.273,66|