- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Wikimedia Venezuela
- For organizations: Are you a for-profit entity? No
- For organizations: If non-profit (US) or equivalent (outside the US) status is available in your country, do you have or are you pursuing such status (please be specific): We are legally registered in Venezuela as a Civil (non-profit) Association
- For individual applicants: Please note that if your request is accepted you will be required to provide documentation verifying your full legal name and address.
- Grant contact name
- Carlos Manuel Colina
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Oscar Costero
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- Start-Up Grant
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- US$ 13,224.71
- Provisional target start date
- June 2012
- Provisional completion date
- May 2013
Budget breakdown 
|Units||Cost per unit
|Equipment and spendables||16,879||3,925.35|
|Ink cartridges for printer||5||190||950||220.93|
|Mobile internet kits (net-sticks)||1||1,440||1,440||334.88|
|Other office supplies||X||X||2,500||581.40|
|Fixed telephone line plus prepaid service for 1 year||1||3,290||3,290||765.11|
|Renewal of wikimedia.org.ve site (2 years)||1||180||180||41.86|
|Hosting (Basic: 20 GB)||1||350||350||81.40|
|Legalisation of bylaws with a notary||1||2,000||2,000||465.12|
|Official books for Board Meetings and Accounting books||9||200||1,800||418.60|
|Records and registration||1||2,000||2,000||465.12|
|Opening of a bank account||1||500||500||116,28|
|Post to be sent to the WMF (Chapter Agreement and Bylaws)||2||123.63||247.26||57.50|
|Monthly payment of PO Box||12||400||4,800||1,116.27|
|Packages of business cards||5||180||900||209.30|
|Outreach and projects||12,000||2,790.70|
|WikiEncuentro Caracas 2012 + First General Assembly: Material and refreshments for 50 people||1||7,000||7,000||1,627.91|
|Participation in ForoTIC 2012: Promotional Material for 400 people||1||5,000||5,000||1,162.79|
|Trips between Caracas and Valencia, Maracaibo, Barquisimeto, Cumaná, Puerto Ordaz, Punto Fijo and other cities||10||500||5,000||1,162.79|
|Travel allowances (daily per travel; incl. accomodation)||10||700||7,000||1,627.91|
|TOTAL (with reserves)||56,866.26||13,224.71|
- Exchange rate: 1 USD = 4.30 VEF (May 2012)
- Price reference: Tienda Arroba.com
- Fees from NIC.ve
- This has already been done due to the need to be registered before getting an IRS number, opening a bank account and performing all duties
- DHL rates
- Required by the organizers: Buttons, WMVE Banner, flyers/triptychs
- Travels consider people for two nights Fri-Sat from/to Simón Bolívar International Airport (CCS) or by Bus if the cities are near (In the Caracas-Valencia-Maracay, Maracaibo-Cabimas, San Felipe-Barquisimeto-Acarigua, Coro-Punto Fijo, Barcelona-Puerto La Cruz-Cumaná, Ciudad Bolívar-Puerto Ordaz axes). The prices of the airline tickets have been calculated on the cheapest Economy seat available on Asercaairlines.com, Laser.com.ve, Aeropostal.com.ve, Avior.com.ve or Conviasa.aero
Project goal 
The objective of this grant is to cover the expenses of the process to establish Wikimedia Venezuela (legal fees, administration, technical infraestructure, etc.) and the main projects that will be developed by the chapter in 2012-2013.
Project scope and list of activities 
These projects follow the strategy of the chapter along three main areas where Wikimedia Venezuela will focus in the following years:
- Cultural Heritage: Outreach with institutions in Venezuela for the better documentation of all heritage buildings and structures in the country, according to the Instituto de Patrimonio Cultural.
- Indigenous languages: Development
of Wikipedia in Wayuunaikiand support for the creation of Wiktionaries and Wikisources in aboriginal/endangered languages spoken in Venezuela.
- Educational efforts: Wikipedia Offline para Canaima Educativo project with the Venezuelan Ministry of Education to provide offline Wikipedia content for the OLPC local program.
Project goals 
- Establishment of Wikimedia Venezuela as an official non-profit association under Venezuelan law.
- Ensure participation of Venezuelan contributors to the Wikimedia movement, not only people from Caracas.
- Engage with cultural and educational institutions in the main cities of the country.
- Development of projects in indigenous languages (Wayuunaiki, Yaruro, Ye'kuana, Yukpa, Barí, Warao, Guahibo, Pemón, Kari'ña, Warao and Añú, among others).
- Improve Wikimedia movement awareness and engagement in Venezuela.
- Ensure the good use of the Wikimedia logos and marks.
Non-financial requirements 
It is recommended to send the grant in two or three rounds in different months, in order to reduce involvement of the national tax institution and fees to the bank. And a press release would be great too :-)
Fit to strategy 
The projects covered by this grant align with the Wikimedia Foundation's strategic plan to increase participation, increase reach and improve quality, especially in countries of the so-called Global South.
- Increase participation: We want to get involved with most of the people of the Venezuelan community and not just the people in the Greater Caracas. Venezuela is a very large country (Maracaibo is an 1.5+ hours fly away from Margarita Island, for example) with its population centers mostly located along its more than 4,000 km-long coast. We want to create a real national chapter with participation from people of all over the country.
- Increase reach: We want to get involved with educational communities. Inclusion is a topic really important for the Venezuelan society right now and we believe that the access to free knowledge can make a difference for children and teachers. Also, we want to incorporate people that has been left behind because of social, linguistic or economic issues
- Improve quality: We have been in contact with different cultural institutions to establish cooperation agreements that can improve the quality of the Wikimedia projects and allow the release of documents and archives to the public domain, with a focus on Venezuelan and Latin American history and heritage.
Other benefits 
We expect to get positive media attention with our projects, which may also persuade more people (like the Caracas Center of Sephardic Studies and the General Archives of the Nation, for instance) to give their materials out for free use, to incorporate in our organisation and to become members of the different projects of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Measures of success 
- Establishment of Wikimedia Venezuela as a successful non-profit corporation under Venezuelan law.
- Agreements with cultural and educational institutions.
- Increase participation in the
Wayuunaiki Wikipedia, Wikisource and Wiktionary at the Wikimedia Incubator and their release as official projects.