Grants:Vivek Varghese Cherian - Wikimedians in Mumbai/Mumbai Wiki Anniversary Celebration
This grant was approved in the amount of $750 for food and refreshments for 300 people.
- Legal name of chapter
- Not a Chapter Grant / Group request
- Grant contact name
- Vivek Varghese Cherian
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Vivek Varghese Cherian
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- 10th Anniversary Celebrations of Wikipedia in Mumbai.
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
- January 5th 2011.
- Provisional completion date
- Not Applicable.
- Food and Refeshments --- > USD 750
- Posters,Brochures, Publicity,Volunteer logistics ---> USD 750
- Surplus (if any) will be used to create more posters, brochures, stickers and also volunteer logistics for later events.
The 10th Anniversary Celebrations of Wikipedia is intended to be held at VJTI, Mumbai which is a prestigious engineering college in Mumbai established in 1887.
The college has also expressed interested in acting as a focal point of organizing Wikipedia events around Mumbai in the future if proper guidance in provided to the students most of whom are in the age group of 18-21, which is an age at which a lot of contributions to Wikipedia can happen considering that the average age to Wikipedia editors is around 25 years.
Currently Kundan Amitabh, Moksh Juneja and Pradeep Mohandas and myself (Vivek Varghese Cherian) are the active volunteers but we would like to develop a active Wikipedia editor community in Mumbai with VJTI as the focal point.
This is the 4th Major Wikipedia event in Mumbai in the last 3-4 months after Jimmy's visit which was followed by Erik Moller, Danese Cooper and Alolita Sharma's visit to the city.
- Short term Goals- To establish a focal point for Wikipedia activities in Mumbai
- Long term Goal 1 - Encourage more local language (Marathi/Hindi) content in Wikipedia by conducting events in and around Mumbai.
- Long term Goal 2 - To extend the size of the active Wikipedia Editor community in Mumbai.
- Long term Goal 3 - To organize Wikipedia events other places in Maharashtra than Mumbai to encourage local language contributions.
- Long term Goal 4 - Wikipedia Mumbai volunteers are also open to traveling to neighboring states to plant and/or strengthen local Wikipedia communities there.
T-Shirts, Posters, Brochures, Stickers and other materials to create awareness about Wikipedia and also to encourage more users to turn into contributions(editors).
Measures of success
The measure of successes of this endeavor can only be estimated over a period of time (say 1 year down the line) and our success will depend on how many active editors we manage to recruit and also the size of the local Marathi Wikipedia editor community that we are trying to build. Our success can also be measured by the number of edits our volunteers make to the Wikipedia community (English and Indic).