Grants talk:WM NO/Nordic Chapter Meeting 2012
Please clarify: is this an open request or still a draft? It seems the total amount requested, as well as some other details, are not yet finalized. If this is indeed a draft, please change the Status field in the template to "Draft" instead of "Open". Thanks! Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 22:39, 23 April 2012 (UTC)
The first comment
Hey, if I understand correctly, there was a subsidy of Saami parliament for 2011 but for 2012 should handle it. Do you think it possible to achieve this year? I say this because I find it interesting to talk about the project Wiquipedia in Saami, but without adequate resources may not be useful.--Josepnogue (talk) 16:19, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the submission. How many people that will not be funded are expected to attend this meeting (people from Oslo), or the conference is closed only for those mentioned in this request? In the budget you have an uneven calculation regarding the participants from Sweden. I assume that the total nights are set for 2 per person, but in the row for Sweden it counts 9. Is it only an accidental miscalculation or there is anybody who will spend additional night in the hotel? For the project goals you mention a Nordic Council application regarding the GLAM projects. Sounds great if this is a potential source for funding this kind of projects. Could you please clarify this goal a bit? What is the Nordic Council and what kind of projects they run a grant program for? The note for the measures of success says that you regard this project a success if you only achieve two of the listed measures. What prevents you to work on achieving more of them, or you simply use a lower criterion based on prudence? Best regards.--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 18:08, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
Wikimedia Sverige has received a sizable grant from the WMF, whose budget includes funds for staff and board travel. Surely, WMSE can cover its members hotel stays out of that budget? Has WMNO inquired about this? Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 18:30, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
- WMSE staff and board will have their travels paid out of the grant you mention. However it is not sized to cover any other travels, not even other WMSE members. Ainali (talk) 19:47, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
- And by travel, I mean cost for train tickets or similar. Ainali (talk) 19:49, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
I strongly support all the collaborations between(among? sorry for my bad english...) chapters that have cultures of common root. I strongly support all the initiatives in this way, because collaboration is one of the basis of our movement. On the grant itself: I believe that it's frankly cheap: 3000 US$ are a 2350 €, or, 117,5 € for person / day.--Marctaltor (talk) 09:50, 22 May 2012 (UTC)
GAC members who have read this request but had no comments
Answers to everyone
OK, it seems that there are some misunderstandings here.
- Everyone: Yes, this is an application and not a draft.
- Asaf Bartov: There are no requests for travel expences in this application. Whether or not WMSE have travel expences covered by other grants, is not relevant to this application. We are simply asking the WMF to cover acommodation and some very modest meals during full-day meeting of the chapters.
- Polimerek: This was a chapter meeting. It was not a meetup, volunteer gathering or anything else, but a practically oriented work meeting for board members of the Nordic chapters. The meeting resulted in all the project that are listed in the application as potentials.
- Generally: The Nordic Chapter Meeting was held in Oslo over 1,5 days, before the Wikipedia Academy 2012. The Nordic Chapter meeting grant application here, is promoted with lunch and accommodation costs well below the standards that the WMF put forth (75 % of US per diem for that city).
- Please direct other questions directly to me.
- Kind regards, Bjoertvedt (talk) 20:35, 30 May 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for these clarifications, but I'm afraid I'm still not clear about WMSE's expenses. Three of the four attending WMSE members are board or staff, whose travel (yes, including accommodation and meals or per diem expenses) are supposed to be covered in WMSE's annual budget. My question was, and remains, why separate funding is sought for this, instead of using the funds already provided (to WMSE) for that part of the request. I have no other questions. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 21:17, 30 May 2012 (UTC)
- +1.--Victoria (talk) 19:39, 4 June 2012 (UTC)
- The reason why WMNO apply for those money, is that we paid for the hotels and the meals. We do not have any insight into the budgets of WMSE. If they have some money from you for acommodation for this event, they haven't informed us. We do noe have any access to their budgets. We agreed that they would sover their own travel expences, while we would cover acommodation and meals for all the Nordic delegates (board members). Since we have had the expences ,we are applying for the grant. It's as simple as that. Thanks. 126.96.36.199 23:15, 7 June 2012 (UTC)
- The Nordic cooperation was not a part of the initial program plan, and not included in the board/staff travels. We later received an external grant for the Nordic cooperation. From this we covered our and WMDKs travelling to Oslo, and it will cover the costs for the yearbook. The rest will be used for the meeting at FSCONS in November. --Prolineserver (talk) 06:55, 8 June 2012 (UTC)