Help talk:Unified login
- Please add new topics to the bottom of this page
- Archived discussion
- Talk:Single signon transition
- Talk:Single login
- Talk:Single login poll
- Talk:Single login specifications
- External discussion
- [Wikitech-l] Single user login status --Brion Vibber
- [Wikitech-l] Primary account for single user login --Ans 11:00, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
Outdated information on renaming procedures?
In the page FAQ section, there is this item:
- Can I be renamed after unification?
- Yes, but you have to request your account renaming on all wikis separately.
On the other hand, in the Single User Login finalisation announcement, the information appears contradicts this:
- It will then only be possible for accounts to be renamed globally; the RenameUser tool will no longer work on a local basis — since all accounts must be globally unique — therefore it will be withdrawn from bureaucrats' tool sets. Once this takes place, it will still be possible for users to ask for their account to be renamed further here on Meta, if they do not like their new user name.
Now, both statements may be true, since the announcement is about what will be true from August 2013, not what is true now. However, I think that the information about the new procedure should be added to the FAQ item. If nothing else, some users who see this information may decide to wait until August, in order to be able to make a request according to the new and considerably simpler procedure. I therefore propose a new formulation, like the following::
- Yes, but at present you have to request your account renaming on all wikis separately. From August, 2013, instead there will be a simpler procedure, where you make a request at Steward requests/Username changes for changing your global account name everywhere simultaneously.