|Portal||Activities||Business||History||Participants & Supporters||Privacy||Resources||Discussion|
A project to support the LGBT community
by developing the community of LGBT Wikimedians
and LGBT content within Wikimedia projects
Wikimedia LGBT is a proposal to form a thematic organization first announced at Wikimania in 2012. The organization would promote the development of content on Wikimedia projects which is of interest to LGBT communities.
- Encourage LGBT cultural organizations to use Wikimedia projects and to adopt the values of free culture and open access.
- Promote Wikimedia projects as a tool for strengthening LGBT communities.
- Create and expand content of interest to LGBT communities on Wikimedia projects and to increase the overall quality of such content in all languages.
- Improve the editing experience for all contributors by ensuring that LGBT related harassment is dealt with by simple policies in a prompt manner regardless of sexuality.
- Ensure that non-discrimination policies related to gender and sexuality are effective across all Wikimedia projects, and participate in discussions of discrimination of all types.
- Provide support networks for the LGBT community and allies, including welcoming IRC and OTRS support.
- Provide a sympathetic appeal mechanism when dispute resolution has failed and a contributor would prefer a self identified LGBT mediator or arbitrator to handle their case.
- Create a safer environment for LGBT readers of Wikimedia projects, with a special interest in improving the experiences of LGBT youth on Wikimedia projects.
- Build greater community among LGBT Wikimedians.
- Coordinate cross-wiki efforts among WikiProjects engaged in specific LGBT content development.
Wikimedia LGBT will fulfill its mission in the following ways:
- Provide training to organizations and individuals so that they can contribute content to Wikimedia projects.
- Create, collect, process, and present the sorts of metrics which describe usage statistics and quality of content of LGBT interest on Wikimedia projects.
While Wikimedia LGBT members will always be welcome to contribute content of LGBT interest themselves, the scope of the work which the project seeks to complete can only be engaged if many LGBT outreach programs all contribute their expertise to developing the content in their fields. The general practice ought to be that any educator of LGBT populations anywhere who is performing outreach in any field ought to share their information on Wikipedia if any of their target demographic uses the Internet as a source of information. When such an educator recognizes this, then that person ought to be able to contact Wikimedia LGBT and get appropriate training to enable them to share their information on Wikimedia platforms.
- Increased participation and visibility by LGBT communities at Wikimania 2012 - building towards even greater engagement at future Wikimanias.
- Increased (open) participation by members of the LGBT communities on all Wikimedia projects.
- Coordination of LGBT WikiProjects:
- Guidelines on Outreach for recommending and improving policies across Wikimedia projects:
- Chapter and WMF safe space policies to cover all events specifically ensuring any complaints of apparent LGBT related harassment are dealt with effectively and promptly.
- Guidance for new LGBT editors (and those that edit LGBT topics) on how to stay safe and how to find help when things go wrong.
- Simple guide to responding to LGBT related harassment or threats on all Wikimedia projects and IRC.
- Access to LGBT specific help on-wiki, IRC and email (for example, access to LGBT identified OTRS volunteers via lgbtwikimedia.org and gaywikimedia.org).
- Independent and expert assessment of the Wikimedia projects and the Wikimedia Foundation's effectiveness at handling homophobic harassment cases.
- Commissioned surveys and statistical reporting on LGBT participation and perception of editing experience in order to support planned improvements.
- Model for future minority population based thematic organizations:
- Ideally going into Wikimania 2013 with at least four such projects - LGBT among them.
Activities associated with Wikimedia LGBT:
- Community building and outreach, with efforts focused at LGBT events, Wikimania, and other Wikimedia events.
- Promoting collaborations with other Wikimedia projects and with external organizations, such as WikiProject LGBT studies (English Wikipedia), the LGBT Free Media Collective (Wikimedia Commons), and Wiki Loves Pride.
- safe space development, including the "It Gets Better" campaign and a request for Wikimedia Foundation board resolution on homophobia.