LSS/foundation-l-archives/2009 January 1-15
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
- What is this? A summary of the topics discussed on the mailing list foundation-l, grouped roughly by topic & chronological thread.
- Time period: January 1-15
- NOTES: Each link is to the first post on that topic in the selected time period that was found. In the effort to group topics together, some threads are listed out of chronological order.
- If you want to know more please click the links to the list archives. Many discussions are very long and complex. Navigate to other posts in the threaded discussion by clicking "next" or "previous" in the archives (you must be viewing the archives in thread view for this to work). Note that sometimes threads jump around -- view the whole monthly archive by subject if you want to make sure to read every message on a topic.
- Important topics: Topics that generated a lot of discussion or that are especially important are bolded.
- Announcements: Topics that are official WMF board, staff or chapter announcements or reports are also underlined.
- P.S. list authors are not responsible for any clumsy summaries. Please edit if something is misrepresented. Suggestions? Comments? Please post at the LSS talk page.
- Announcements and reports
- Wikimania dates officially announced: Aug 26-28th 
- Re: Wikistats -- new stats have been posted (again), without errors this time , note from Brion on why dumps don't work for en: 
- Wikisym 2009 call for papers 
- Call for volunteers, Scholarship committee, Wikimania 2009 
- Agenda for Jan Board meeting: 
- Wikimedia now hiring for Stanton Usability Initiative 
- Chinese Wikinews blocked in China , more: 
- Chapters and community
- Who will be the new members of the ombudsman commission? -- Answer: WMF is rethinking it 
- relationship between foundation & volunteers, how people are treated in the projects 
- Why is the software out of the reach of the community? Big discussion about software development, extensions, usability initiative, etc. , more: 
- transparency of the community , more: 
- Languages and localization
- question re: what to do to build a wikipedia-license-compatible wiki: 
- how do we plan to vote on the GFDL? 
- GFDL Q&A posted, discussion of how to vote on licensing change, turns into wide-ranging discussion of the merits of CC-BY-SA vs GFDL, relicensing, and how to attribute authors under each license , more: , attribution discussion: , more: