Participation talk:Nasir8891/WikiConference India 2011/Report
Thanks for the report. It mentions some activities planned and some progress "soon". Has any progress been made in the month-and-a-half since you wrote this report? Thanks. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 01:37, 8 February 2012 (UTC)
- Hello Asaf,
- I mentioned that i discussed with my university authority about arranging the Wikipedia events.After that initial confirmation i had an another meeting with him and he suggest me to start these events at the beginning of a new semester and good thing is the new semester has started about a week ago and i am going to knock him again now.
- In our chapter internal mailing list we are now discussing to arrange some workshop and other promotional events at Dhaka and universities in other part of Bangladesh. The primary plan is to arrange an event and try to know the that if it is possible to run an ambassador project there or not.
- Though i am not sure what is the main reason but GLAM project is not listed in the priority tasks of the chapter. But i love to contribute photographs to the Wikipedia. So i have applied for the fellowship with an idea of "Wikipedia Photography Club or Wiki Photographer". Here the basic idea is to contact and encourage the people who are interested and have the knowledge of photography (atleast basic) and share their photos to the social network sites or somewhere else. There will not be any training period so if anyone joins with us s/he can start to contribute instantly. Again if we start the GLAM we will need some photographer and this Wiki Photography Club of Wiki Photographers can help a lot. You can get more details at the fellowship project idea page.
- Wikimedia Bangladesh is going to arrange the first wikipedia unconference at Chittagong. We (Bangladesh Open Source Network, i am an executive member of this volunteer organization) are planning for the event from many days. After the formation of the chapter the Wikimedia Bangladesh has joined as a co-organizer. 1st March is the tentative date of the event. And here my visit to the Wiki Conference India is helping me in different ways.
- In wiki i was not able to concentrate on the policy pages(mentioned earlier that i an working on those), but finalized an article for the featured article. --Nasir Khan Saikat 06:17, 8 February 2012 (UTC)
Begali Wikipedia 
Hi, thanks for the report! My understanding had been that advancing the Bengali Wikipedia was one of the principal goals of your participation. I would be happy if you could expand on that a bit. Wasn't there supposed to be a meetup of Bengali editors? Have any new ideas or strategies emerged how to stimulate its growth? --Johannes Rohr (WMDE) 15:51, 8 February 2012 (UTC)
- In the WikiConference India there are several presentations on Bengali Wikipedia, but on those presentations only the growth, status and statistics of Bengali Wikipedia was mentioned. Strategic goal or discussion was not included there. In those presentations i meet some of the Wikipedians who are native of Kolkata but live in some other states of India and are not a contributor of the Bengali Wikipedia. We had some informal meetups on the Bengali Wikipedia too. I discussed with Bishaka on some the future events and she showed interest to join the events.
- Those who were representing the Bengali Wikipedia at the conference, me and Mr Jayanta Nath was the only active members. Others were just started to contribute or not active that much. So discussions with Jayanta was very helpful for me. There are a huge number of Bengali speakers worldwide. But compared with that population the number of articles and active member are not that much and as the number of articles are not good enough the visitors are less. We talked about arranging more public outreach programs to inform people and i believe that if the number of visitors increases then we will get more contributors of Bengali Wikipedia. Beside that we agreed to create the articles which has more public interest, for example future events which is going to be happen, the death of some famous people and so on. Like now i am working on a article named Bengali Language Movement in Bengali Wikipedia.
- There are contributors who live different places. But most of them are from Bangladesh and West Bengal, India, so we planned to arrange events in both of the places. Jayanta is leading the recent events which was organized by the Wikimedia India. Here in Bangladesh we were planning to arrange a Wikipedia unconference at 1 March. I have prior experience of organizing this type of seminars and the this Wiki Conference helped me to understand the wiki events closely. I have discussed with Jayanta about the problems and strategies of completing this big event. He was in the core event organizing team and in the speaker selection team. He suggested me different approaches and tips to avoid unwanted situations.
- In my previous reply i have mentioned that i have a plan to arrange workshops and other promotional events in universities. We discussed on these topics too. Like what should be the approaches and how to motivate or encourage people and so on. But here this process have not started yet. Because our local registration have not complied yet. We have applied for the registration but the government security agency tracks and check the activities of the organization before the approval. We hope within a few days we will be able to complete this registration process.
- Sorry for the delayed reply. I went on a holiday trip.--Nasir Khan Saikat 08:50, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
- Thank you so much!! --Johannes Rohr (WMDE) 16:29, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
Reallocation of BDT 17698.5 to Wikimedia activities in Bangladesh 
As a matter of public record, I am noting here that the reallocation of these BDT 17698.5 BDT to Wikimedia activities in Bangladesh was approved by the PSC on 8 February 2012. This additional cost will be borne by the WMF, and not shared with WMDE. Wolliff (talk) 20:07, 16 November 2012 (UTC)