Public outreach/Academy/IRC meeting notes
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
May 21, 2009 
"Science" Academy IRC Meeting Notes 11:00am - 12:30pm PST
- Introductions and IRC meeting recommendations
- Review of Event Goals
- Address Operational Questions
- Assignments and Next Steps
- How much "hands on" training do we want to give scientists?
- Can the workshop be longer than a single day? For example, could we cover some material Wednesday night or Friday morning?
- What is the concept behind the three afternoon sessions? Will they cover the same material, or different? If the latter, how will the materials differ?
- Is a separate WikiProject for the scientists the best approach?
- What do we need to prepare before the event to ensure the relationship is sustainable?
- Discussion of the online survey to be conducted among the scientists
May 28, 2009 
Academy Project Team IRC Meeting Notes 11:00am - 12:27pm PST
- New page on meta to be created: collecting and priorizing questions for next week's IRC meeting (when the representant of our partner will join us)
- The team will prepare support materials aimed at enabling the scientists to create a user account in the run-up of the event
- Indicators for goals success:
- Increase understanding: Number of speakers who will mark that they have an increased level of understanding based on our Academy (survey after the event): 75%+; the scientists feel inspired to pass on what we've taught them
- Encourage participation: Percentage of participants who will be involved after 3 mo, 6mo year: 10% or less (will be an exponential decay, maybe 50 for a few edits, 20 for a lot and 5 for long-term editors)
- The scientists shall be encouraged to join an existing WikiProject (e.g. WikiProject Molecular and Cellular Biology)
- To prevent a drop-off some months after the event, the team will
- create a topic specific newsletter (collaboration of the month and signpost)
- hand out goodies (coffee mugs, bookmarks, etc.)
- other options
- Wikipedia friends/mentors
- follow-up meetings
- encouraging the scientists to develop featured articles
- buddy-system with the scientists for featured articles
- contests between the different institutes
- Group: Improve the survey / continue the discussion on the mailinglist
- Group: Improve the schedule for the morning sessions according to the needs of the speakers
- Group: Add to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Proteins/Scientist_questions
- Bill/John/Tim: Post outlines for individual presentations on meta wiki
- Lennart: Write a script for the welcome/how to get a user account-screencast/video and make it accessible on meta
- Frank: Assist Lennart in creating the video script
- Frank: Ask the Foundation's tech team to find a solution for the "6 account creation limit per day per IP" problem
Frank: Start a page on meta for collecting and priorizing questions to be asked next weekDone. --Frank Schulenburg 00:11, 29 May 2009 (UTC)
- Jennifer: Follow-up w/ Jay on bookmarks / coffee mugs
June 4, 2009 
Academy Project Team IRC Meeting Notes 11:03am - 12:04pm PST
- In order to achieve sustainability a number of activities was considered: Public outreach/Academy/Sustainability
- A "welcome page" on the English Wikipedia will be created. The page shall
- invite the scientists to contribute to Wikipedia
- provide answers to the most common questions scientists have when beginning to edit:
- What are the areas where help is needed?
- What can I do quickly and without much effort?
- What is my benefit if I start editing? (see Bill's talk, section "Why you might want to contribute")
- help the scientists to get in contact with existing users in their field of expertise (experienced Wikipedians shall act as intermediates)
- provide quantitative data showing that the scientist's participation is fulfilling their mission
- A mentoring system for new users in the field of health and medicine shall be started
- In order to involve more volunteers
- an announcement shall be made in the Wikipedia Signpost
- existing editors shall be asked for help on the existing WikiProject's talk pages
- editors who have volunteered to do mentoring shall be contacted
- Discussion to be continued next week ("same Bat time same Bat station next week")
- Bill / Frank / Jennifer: Work on a first draft for the welcome page