||This language has been verified as eligible.
The language is eligible for a project, which means that the subdomain can be created once there is an active community and a localized interface, as described in the language proposal policy. You can discuss the creation of this language project on this page.
Once the criteria are met, the language committee can proceed with the approval and notify the Board of Trustees for a possible veto.
If you think the criteria are met, but the project is still waiting for approval, feel free to notify the committee and ask them to consider its approval.
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
||Example / Explanation
||si (SIL, Ethnologue)
||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...
||Language name in English
||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...
||පසිඳු කාවින්ද N P, Budhajeewa N P, Thameera123 N P, තඹරු විජේසේකර N,Keheliya N, බිඟුවා N , Shane44 N, Kasun Gajasinghe N, Shelan N, Indranama N, Sansarasidu N, Chavie N,Sampath waruna N, Lee N, ChathuCN N,inckka N,rkkasun,Kaviranga N, යූත්මැක්ස් N Kasun_Indi N අඛිල N
You can optionally list your user name if you're a contributor to the wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
||"Wikinews" in your language
||usually the same as the project name
|Project talk namespace
||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)
||Files should be uploaded to Commons, but if you want, you can enable local file uploading.
Notes: (1) files on Commons can be used on all wikis; (2) this setting can be changed afterwards; (3) uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info
); (4) localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons
||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)
|Default project timezone
||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)
||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"
||Anything else that should be set
Arguments in favour 
- Support Strongly Support: Following Wikimedia projects already have Sinhala language editions.
- Wikipedia - Wikipedia Sinhala (විකිපිඩියා)
- Wiktionary - Wiktionary Sinhala (වික්ෂනරි)
- Wikibooks - Wikibooks Sinhala (විකිපොත්)
Those projects reflects that the Sinhala language is already recognized by Wikimedia, and, many Wikimedia projects are popular among Sinhala reading people. So, Wikinews is much needed project that should be supporting Sinhala language. -- Budhajeewa 06:45, 11 December 2010 (UTC)
- Support Strongly Support Sinhala is a language spoken by about 16 million people in Sri Lanka and around the world. Sinhala content has seen a rapid increase during the previous year due to the popularization of Sinhala Unicode. --Thameera123 07:03, 11 December 2010 (UTC)
- Support Strongly Support The Sinhala Wikipedia have more active Admins & Users and it gets new users daily. As a contributor of that I did 239 edits during last 30 days. Many Sinhala students are learning from these sites and most of sinhalians likes these wiki projects. So I think WikiNews might be useful for all and it might get large contributions & contributors.--තඹරු විජේසේකර 09:11, 11 December 2010 (UTC)
- Support -- බිඟුවා සාකච්ඡාව 03:08, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
- Support --සදීප 06:40, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
- Support --Lee 13:04, 17 December 2010 (UTC)
- Support - don't forget about NPOV ;) Przykuta 08:07, 18 December 2010 (UTC)
- Support Strongly Support Wikinews Sinhala must be created because it is very useful for all.--Pasindu Kavinda Talk 13:18, 11 June 2011 (UTC)
Arguments against 
- Oppose -- SEVERAL REASONS
- Community not large enough to have updated news
- News culture in the country (Sri Lanka) is not well accepted by mass. Negative view on si.wikinews might harm reputation of other wiki projects.
- As community is not large enough, emphasis on this will cause reduced contribution for other projects.
- When Sri Lanka and Sinhala is considered wikinews is having less priority.
- Simply, this is not the correct timing for this.
- Still, if this project is approved I wish all the best !Singhalawap 12:13, 25 December 2010 (UTC)
Other discussion