There are c. 500.000 Maris living in Russian Federation. They have own autonomic area called Mari El (Марий Эл), capital-city is Joshkar-Ola (map). It is one of the Finno-Ugric languages.
Arguments in favour
- The Mari language has official status in Mari El. If a languages has a such status it is worth of own Wikipedia. There are a lot of potential users of Mari Wikipedia, but now all Mari speaking Wikipedists are using Russian Wikipedia. Own Wikipedia will help to develop this language. – Artomo 09:31, 15 March 2008 (UTC)
- Support. The number of speakers and status of language is comparable with Erzya (another Finno-Ugric language of Russia), which is considered successfull and is approved. A.M.D.F. 18:28, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
- Support. The Mari language is a language which, while spoken by quite a large number of people, suffers from a lack of presence on the net. A Mari Wikipedia would be a huge step in the right direction here. 126.96.36.199 23:53, 20 April 2008 (UTC)
- Native speakers of Mari are willing to contribute to this project in the long-term, hence this project has the potential to flourish like the other Finno-Ugric language Wikipedia editions such as Finnish, Estonian, Võro, Moksha etc. Therefore the Mari language ought to be given the opportunity and priviledge to have its own language edition of Wikipedia. --Jose77 22:16, 6 May 2008 (UTC)
- I want to have Wikipedia on my native language. And I can improve it, but in incubator it is a little bit uncomfartable. I'm waiting for Mari Wikipedia. Я хочу Википедию на моем родном языке. И я могу её уличшать, но в инкубаторе это делать не совсем удобно. Жду Марийской Википедии.
- Support.--Leonst 11:33, 16 July 2008 (UTC)
- Support. --Budelberger 22:10, 3 October 2008 (UTC) ()
- Strong Support, see here. --Budelberger 11:41, 12 December 2008 (UTC) ().
- Support.--Metsavend 08:23, 16 November 2008 (UTC)
- Support. Mari Wikipedia will raise status of Mari language and help us to save our nation. Azimbaj 13:38, 1 December 2008 (UTC)
- Support. Hugo.arg 10:38, 12 December 2008 (UTC)
- Support. I am an administrator Russian section of Wikipedia. Mari language is the language of the peoples of Russia, so I support the emergence of the language section.--Torin 07:52, 19 December 2008 (UTC)
- Support Yufereff I'm an User in Russian and administrator in Komi (also one of the Finno-Ugric people in Russia) Wikipedias. National minorities need to support their languages and cultures.--Yufereff 07:52, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
- Mari is according to SIL a macro language. It is actually two languages. One of the requirements is that the language needs to be unambiguous. GerardM 22:05, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, it is two languages. This proposal is about Meadow Mari (mhr ISO 639-3). Hill Mari (mrj) should be in a separate project. A.M.D.F. 17:10, 20 March 2008 (UTC)
- When you are proposing this project, please change the request accordingly. Please GerardM 11:34, 21 March 2008 (UTC)
- Done. A.M.D.F. 19:56, 21 March 2008 (UTC)
- Currently 59.67% of the most used MediaWiki messages have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 12:16, 12 November 2008 (UTC)