||Discuss the creation of this language project on this page. Votes will be ignored when judging the proposal. Please provide arguments or reasons and be prepared to defend them (see the Language proposal policy).
The language committee needs to verify the language is eligible to be approved.
- Check that the project does not already exist (see list).
- Obtain an ISO 639 code
- Ensure the requested language is sufficiently unique that it could not exist on a more general wiki.
- Ensure that there are a sufficient number of native editors of that language to merit an edition in that language.
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
||Example / Explanation
||mic (SIL, Ethnologue)
||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...
||Language name in English
||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...
||"Wikipedia" in your language
||usually the same as the project name
|Project talk namespace
||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)
||Files should be uploaded to Commons, but if you want, you can enable local file uploading.
Notes: (1) files on Commons can be used on all wikis; (2) this setting can be changed afterwards; (3) uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info
); (4) localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons
||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)
|Default project timezone
||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)
||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"
||Anything else that should be set
We are in the process of developing an active community on the incubator at this point. I'm starting this procedure to seek eligibility for the language before investing efforts in the incubator if the language is not eligible for a Wikipedia. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Amqui (talk • contribs) 06:22, 28. Jan. 2012.
- Mik'mac is a language that is not used as much anymore, like acadian french (from the same region). ~~EBE123~~ talkContribs 16:00, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- [Most of] The pages in the test-wiki are without context; just the name, an image with the page name, and the word in english and french. ~~EBE123~~ talkContribs 16:00, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Those pages already bears an informative and educational content as they are and can easily and will be developed. Amqui (talk) 20:18, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Les pages comme ça sont sans information qui va satisfaire personne. P.-S. Pourquoi avoir ce nouveau « namespace » Apoqonmati? ~~EBE123~~ talkContribs 16:07, 14 March 2012 (UTC)
- Je suis d'avis que le simple fait d'avoir le mot "orignal" à côté d'une photo d'original a une valeur éducative en soit et les pages sont destinées à être améliorées. Apoqonmati est le micmac pour Help. Amqui (talk) 20:40, 14 March 2012 (UTC)
- Cela a effectivement une valeur éducative mais si c'est juste une image et sa légende, cela peut aller sur les wiktionnaires. Il faut plus que cela pour une wikipédia. Cdlt, VIGNERON * discut. 17:37, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
- While I think it's very important to preserve the Micmac language, I'm not sure if 11,000 native speakers is enough to form an active editing community. Jmajeremy (talk) 06:54, 30 June 2012 (UTC)
- This is indeed the crucial question; and we'll find out whether an active community can exist by the Incubator test project - only if that one is active enough, the project can be approved. --MF-W 16:27, 30 June 2012 (UTC)
- And how many of this speakers are on the Internet ? Is there even sites in micmac on the Net ? Cdlt, VIGNERON * discut. 17:37, 10 October 2012 (UTC)