The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Translations are available.
Recent software changes (Not all changes will affect you.)
- VisualEditor news:
- VisualEditor deployment has been delayed by a week. It is now planned to enable the editor for logged–in editors on chosen Wikipedias on July 22, and on all Wikipedias on July 29.
- A bug that made it impossible to save VisualEditor edits that triggered a CAPTCHA has been fixed. 
- Several bugs that occurred on right–to–left wikis have been fixed last week (bug #49416, bug #49613, bug #50543).
- Uploading files has been restricted on Meta Wiki to administrators and the newly created uploader group. An exemption doctrine policy is being developed (bug #50287). 
- Emergency priority CentralNotice banners will always be shown unless users have hidden them, ignoring cookies set for lower priority banners. 
Future software changes
- MediaWiki will allow choosing a specific page of a PDF document or a thumbnail of a video file to show up inside the
<gallery /> tag (bug #8480). 
- It will now be possible to create empty
MediaWiki: messages, for instance in order to disable them (bug #50124). 
- The Nearby feature will soon be enabled on Wikivoyage wikis again. 
- The Notifications extension messages will now include a direct link to diffs on wiki as well as in notification e-mails (bug #48183). 
- Table of contents will now use the HTML
<div /> element instead of
<table />, fixing a nine–year–old bug #658. 
- First mock–ups of a mobile Wikidata application have been published by Pragun Bhutani as part of his Google Summer of Code project. 
- A discussion on minimum documentation practices in MediaWiki code has been started and awaits comments from the community.
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by Global message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.