The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf15) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on July 24. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on July 29, and to all Wikipedias on July 31 (calendar).
- You can now download the latest version of the anti-vandalism tool Huggle.
- You can now create, edit, and view HTML comments in VisualEditor.  
- The cancel button in VisualEditor toolbar has been removed. You can still use the Read tab and the Back button in your browser to cancel your edit. 
- If you try to use a template which has no suggested or required parameters in TemplateData, you will now be asked to add the parameters.  
- You will no longer be able to edit a page if you can't create it, for example on pages protected against recreation.  
Future software changes
- You will soon be able to filter Meta-Wiki's user rights log by wiki and user.  
- Wikidata will soon be able to store data about article status, for example "good article" or "featured article". If your wiki has highlighted content, please make sure it is on Wikidata's list. 
- It will soon be possible to directly create empty pages, for example in the user namespace.  
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.