The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe
and give feedback
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- There was an issue with files from Commons on October 21. You could only see those with names between 140 and 159 characters on Commons. 
- There was a problem with cut and paste in VisualEditor in Firefox. It was fixed quickly. 
- There was a problem with editing math in VisualEditor. It was fixed quickly. 
Software changes this week
- The new version of MediaWiki is now coming to Wikipedia sites on Wednesday instead of Thursday. 
- The new version of MediaWiki (1.25wmf5) has been on test wikis and MediaWiki.org since October 23. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis from October 28, and on all Wikipedias from October 29 (calendar).
- VisualEditor now uses autovalues for templates if they are in TemplateData.   
- VisualEditor's menu items now show their shortcuts beside them. 
- VisualEditor now opens faster when you click "edit". 
- The rules for plurals in translations changed in some languages. The updates of interface translation updates are paused; they will start again on November 6. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.