Tell us about Icelandic Wikipedia
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
This page belongs to the project Tell us about your Wikipedia.
Icelandic Wikipedia 
- Wikimedia Statistics can be difficult to interprete. What is your impression, how many steady contributors do you have?
- Perhaps 10-15 who contribute more than 3-4 days a week with a perhaps 10-15 others who contribute regularly but more rarely.
- Are your contributors mostly native speakers?
- Yes, most are native speakers and all of the most productive contributors.
- Where do your contributors live (regions/country)?
- Mostly in Iceland.
- How common is it that your contributors meet in real life?
- There has been a wikimeeting maybe once or twice a year.
Other Wikipedias 
- Do you have special contacts with another Wikipedias (maybe in related languages)?
- Not really, although some regular contributors may also contrubute regularly on some of the English, Danish or Norwegian Wikipedias.
- Do you translate a lot from other Wikipedias? Which ones?
- Quite a lot has been translated from the English Wikipedia. Occasionally also from the Dansih or German Wikipedias.
Organization and support 
- Is there a Wikimedia chapter in your country? How does your language relate to it?
- Not yet, but there has been talk of establishing one.
- Are there work groups in other organizations about Wikipedia?
Your Wikipedia and the linguistic community 
- Is there a language institution for your language, like an Academy, or a club of people interested in your language? Do you have contact with them?
- There is a language institute at the University of Iceland; and widespread interest among the general public. There is no formal contact with the language institute, but we often follow their advice.
- Who (else) supports you?
- How looks your public outreach for your edition? Do you have flyers, give lectures, trainings etc.?
- We have informally contacted the media several times when milestones have been reached; often without much success, but sometimes the media has shown some interest.
- Do you get feedback from readers?
- What other encyclopedias exist in your language?
- There is a dated encyclopedia in print.
- Does your edition concentrates on certain topics, like your region and language, or Latin Wikipedia on Roman history and Christianity?
- No, not really, although there is much interest in Icelandic matters.
- Did your edition enjoy text donations, for example from older encyclopedias?
- Is there a generally accepted norm about your language (spelling, dictionary, pronunciation)?
- Yes, for the most part.
- How do you deal with different spellings, dialects etc. (like B.E. lift and A.E. elevator)?
- The issue doesn't come up that much, but there is generally tolerance for whatever is recognized as correct Icelandic.
--126.96.36.199 22:55, 19 August 2008 (UTC)