help if needed
Hey, I just learned about the work of the Translation subcommittee at Wikimania. I know quite a few languages, translate also actively Ubuntu distros on Launchpad so I think I could be of use. If you need any help or have tasks please just let me know! --Dimi z (talk) 15:59, 14 July 2012 (UTC)
- Thank you for volunteering to work on translations! Our regular requests for translators are listed on Translation requests. Linked from that page are specific requests, such as translations for the Wikimedia Foundation's official website (https://wikimediafoundation.org). If you are interested in article translation, we recommend our international collaboration page as a great place to begin: "Translation of the Week".
- Thanks again for your interest --Az1568 (talk) 21:30, 13 January 2013 (UTC)
Apology for removal of admin rights
I'm sorry for the abrupt removal of admin rights on the Foundation wiki, which wasn't announced in advance. We've been talking internally for a while about making the governance structure of this wiki more clear, i.e., decisions regarding content and practices in this wiki are ultimately up to WMF staff. There may be projects during which it makes sense to assign temporary adminship to volunteers, as well, but we wanted to start with a clear separation of roles and responsibilities.
I apologize, though, for the hasty implementation of this decision! I didn't intend to express any disrespect or distrust. On the contrary, I'm very grateful for all the work you and other volunteers have done on the Wikimedia Foundation wiki over the years, and I hope you won't be too discouraged by this experience. I'll be posting an update about the next steps for wikimediafoundation.org on the wikimedia-l mailing list soon.
- Sure thing. As you can see here, the original page was a broken redirect. So it was tagged as such for deletion as part of a batch of broken redirects that I was clearing out. I see that you edited the redirect and linked it to the translation which is great, so there's no need to delete it now. However, "what links here" shows that nothing else on Meta links to that page currently. So at the time I didn't feel it was absolutely necessary to keep it, as the majority of users would typically find that page via the header on the LGBT portal. --Az1568 (talk) 01:13, 17 December 2013 (UTC)
Is this channel active? Can it be redirected to #wikimedia-affcom? --Nemo 10:45, 21 December 2013 (UTC)
- I believe It's been dead for quite a while. But I'll see if I can place a forward in later today. --Az1568 (talk) 15:22, 21 December 2013 (UTC)
Superprotect letter update
Along with more hundreds of others, you recently signed Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer, which I wrote.
Today, we have 562 signatures here on Meta, and another 61 on change.org, for a total of 623 signatures. Volunteers have fully translated it into 16 languages, and begun other translations. This far exceeds my most optimistic hopes about how many might sign the letter -- I would have been pleased to gain 200 siguatures -- but new signatures continue to come.
I believe this is a significant moment for Wikimedia and Wikipedia. Very rarely have I seen large numbers of people from multiple language and project communities speak with a unified voice. As I understand it, we are unified in a desire for the Wikimedia Foundation to respect -- in actions, in addition to words -- the will of the community who has built the Wikimedia projects for the benefit of all humanity. I strongly believe it is possible to innovate and improve our software tools, together with the Wikimedia Foundation. But substantial changes are necessary in order for us to work together smoothly and productively. I believe this letter identifies important actions that will strongly support those changes.
Have you been discussing these issues in your local community? If so, I think we would all appreciate an update (on the letter's talk page) about how those discussions have gone, and what people are saying. If not, please be bold and start a discussoin on your Village Pump, or in any other venue your project uses -- and then leave a summary of what kind of response you get on the letter's talk page.
Finally, what do you think is the right time, and the right way, to deliver this letter? We could set a date, or establish a threshold of signatures. I have some ideas, but am open to suggestions.
Dear Az1568, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.
- Request for comment: Requests for comment/Superprotect rights
- An open letter about its implementation: Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer
Peteforsyth 09:06, 12 September 2014 (UTC)