Please remember to:
- 1 Re: IRC cloak
- 2 Translation admin rights
- 3 IRC Cloak
- 4 IRC Cloak
- 5 Request for feedback on my GSoC'14 proposal
- 6 rename
- 7 Request for translation adminship
- 8 IRC cloak
- 9 Admin rights Dschwen
- 10 Global Account Rooke
- 11 Question about the cloak
- 12 Wikipedia IRC Cloak
- 13 Change username
- 14 Bureaucrat on Beta Wikipedia
- 15 Translation Adminship
- 16 RD personal wars on #wikimedia
- 17 changing username
- 18 Craig Fisher account and page blocked
- 19 Script updates
- 20 An important message about renaming users
- 21 Global rename requests
- 22 Superprotect status
- 23 Global CSS/JS migration
Re: IRC cloak
Hi, thanks for your message on my pt.wikisource talk page.
- That's how it should be. Cloak set to wikisource/555/Lugusto. Regards, -Barras talk 21:39, 11 January 2014 (UTC)
Translation admin rights
Hi Barras! Thanks for the rights.
- Thanks Aldnonymous, the cloak will be set then with the next batch. -Barras talk 08:54, 15 February 2014 (UTC)
Hello. I created request through this form and sent message to wmfgc (nickname Iluvatar_). A week passed :). This is the normal time wait, or do I need re-send?--Iluvatar (talk) 08:21, 22 February 2014 (UTC)
- Hello Iluvatar. I just looked at the queue and I see your request. You simply applied for the cloak just a few hours after I set the last bunch of cloaks and as of now there are only a very few requests there. I'm afraid you'll have to wait another few days to receive the cloak. -Barras talk 09:48, 22 February 2014 (UTC)
Request for feedback on my GSoC'14 proposal
I am planning to work on the project titled "Tools for mass migration of legacy translated wiki content" this summer under Google Summer of Code. I have drafted a proposal for the same over the past few weeks. This project is going to help the translation adminstrators like you in a great way, as it would completely automate the tedious manual task of preparing a page for translation and then importing the translations into the Translate extension. You can check the proposal page for detailed information on how I plan to accomplish this.
As you would be an end user of this tool, it would be great if you could go through the proposal and provide feedback/suggestions. Your feedback would definitely help me improve the proposal as well help in creating an even better tool. You can do the same on the discussion page of the proposal or reply here, whichever is convenient for you. I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you!
P.S: I need to submit the proposal to Google by March 19, 2014.
- Seriously? Is this your final form? PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:44, 24 March 2014 (UTC)
- Done. With the note that this is the last rename (well, it's also the first one here, the other accounts were simple new creations). -Barras talk 23:47, 24 March 2014 (UTC)
Request for translation adminship
- Thanks a lot for your swift decision Barras. Kind regards! --WikiBronze [T] 17:58, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
Hello!I'm sorry if I disturb you. I created the request for a cloak through this form and sent message to wmfgc (nickname Nastoshka). What should I do now? I've read that I must have a Wikimedia project account registered for at least three months, but this account has no more than 2 months. I had another local account before (from 2009) but I changed to this cause this is global. Is it nevertheless possible for me to have a cloak? I'm a xwiki contributor and active member of the Small Wiki Monitoring Team. Thanks for your time --Nastoshka (talk) 09:16, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- @Nastoshka: Please let me know what your username was. -Barras talk 14:04, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- My username was Moread and it was a local account for it.wikipedia.org and Now that page is a redirect to my actual account. See here to verify --Nastoshka (talk) 14:31, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
Admin rights Dschwen
- Hello Dschwen, as any admin here you've to follow the official meta policies of which one is that admins need to show a certain level of activity to retain admin status on this project. You clearly failed to meet the criteria and have therefore been removed. I'm afraid you need to request admin rights via a normal RfA here on meta to get the bit back. Regards, -Barras talk 13:16, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- Barras, please have a look at my RFA. I have a special limited admin status here, which is confined to one single page. The minimum activity requirement does not make sense for me. Cheers! --Dschwen (talk) 18:03, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- Check , last line:
- Thanks for your consideration. The access to the WikiMiniAtlas scripts which are transcluded in many many projects is crucial for me. I need to be able to react quickly if modifications become necessary. I have been very busy with backend work on the WMA, transferring the server to Wikimedia Labs. Activity on the client side script here on meta will have to resume shortly when I actually switch over the active service to Labs. --Dschwen (talk) 19:18, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- Firstly, sorry for the very delayed reply. I had some important real life issue to take care of this week which is why I didn't even had the time to read Mails nor to take a look at the projects here. Sorry for that, I usually reply much faster to issues! OK, I just reviewed the RfA. More important than Majorly's statement at the bottom is the actual closure statement of the closing bureaucrat, which was Daniel, see diff. A review there after one year is mentioned, but nothing about how to proceed then afterwards. Furthermore, with that kind of temporary adminship you were listed as normal admin and not as temporary admin on our pages, for whatever reason, this made me assuming you are a very normal admin. I will look at it a bit deeper, but with the closure statement I see no issue with the removal, however, I will look how to handle the situation and may ask fellow crats to weigh in on that problem. Regards, -Barras talk 07:25, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
- No problem, I know exactly how real life issues, like switching to a new job, moving to a different state, and moving again from temporary housing into a house you just bought, living in a mess of unpacked boxes, dealing with contractors to get stuff fixed, can totally drain your time. That stuff just happened to me, literally just that very week, which was the reason I did not see and did not reply to the inactivity call. It is quite frankly a bit disappointing though that this issue is not simply fixed without much further ado. I have trouble seeing the problem here. I never used my adminship for anything other than maintaining my global script page. If anyone had listed me as anything more that would have been a misrepresentation of my status. This issue here is unfortunately causing me unnecessary grief, and is a bit of a timewaster. Time, that I'd much rather spend on development work, like I have done over the past few years. While I do appreciate you worrying about bureaucratic rules (I really do, as I am a crat on Commons) I find it frustrating when these rules are applied for their own sake, and not for the projects's benefit :-( --Dschwen (talk) 02:38, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
Global Account Rooke
I'm trying to clear up the account merge for the global account "Rooke". However there is a blocked account "Rooke" in en.wikipedia with not a lot of activity on it and flagged as "sock puppet". Is it prudent to ask you to merge this account with my de.wikipedia account of the same name?
- Hello! I can't do much there, you will have to ask for usurpation of that account on enwiki, see en:WP:CHU for more info. Regards, -Barras talk 16:00, 17 April 2014 (UTC)
Question about the cloak
Hi Barras, hope not to disturb you. I wrote to you and send the form to obtain a IRC cloack almost a month ago. Now I have all the requisites (also 3 months of contribution). Could you say me if I must send the form again or should I just wait? Thanks --Nastoshka (talk) 21:22, 7 May 2014 (UTC)
- If you submitted everything correctly, then the cloak has been set on Friday. -Barras talk 10:41, 11 May 2014 (UTC)
Wikipedia IRC Cloak
I am requesting a Wikipedia IRC Cloak. I have already filled out the Google Docs Form. I meet the requirements. I am very active on IRC, helping users out both on Wikipedia and IRC. I understand if you are busy. Note: Please ping me or leave a talkback on my page in case I forget to check back on this talk page; thank you. --JustBerry (talk) 03:23, 22 May 2014 (UTC)
- Hello JustBerry. We usually set cloaks in batches. If the cloak hasn't been set yet, then there are too few requests in our queue to work on them. Please be patient. Cloaks are usually set within about one week, sometimes, when there are only very few requests, it may takes up to two weeks until the cloak is set. Kind regards, -Barras talk 06:29, 22 May 2014 (UTC)
Dear Barras (no rush for this request), I would like to change my username on wikimedia commons from Fwaaldijk to Frank W (the latter is my username for wikipedia, and I would like to merge these accounts).
- Hello Frank W, sorry, but I can't help you with that. Please request a username change at c:Commons:CHU, where a local bureaucrat will rename you. -Barras talk 12:35, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
Bureaucrat on Beta Wikipedia
I wish to apply/become a Bureaucraft on the Beta Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki). Unfortunately, the stewards who have made accounts on the Beta Wikipedia seem to be inactive or retired, which is why I wish to contact you. Towards the end of 2013, I took a Wikibreak. When I came back to Wikipedia in 2014, I found that http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/User:Charmlet has been inactive for almost one year now. I would like to take leadership of his project and continue it further, as I believe it will be a success (I was involved in helping him with Charmlet's project, but it was never complete for release). Becoming a bureaucraft will allow me to use some of the importing tools, etc. to enhance/further the project. Please let me know your thoughts on this matter; I would greatly appreciate if you would consider me for this opportunity. --JustBerry (talk) 16:23, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
- Additionally, I would be willing to help with the management of the site, including giving users rights w/application. I have noticed that users have tried to apply for user rights on the talk pages of multiple bureaucrats and stewards on the Beta Wikipedia, but, once again, they appear to be inactive/retired. Please let me know your thoughts on this as well. --JustBerry (talk) 16:26, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
- wmflabs.org follows different rules and policies than our live/production servers (e.g. this site). I honestly have no knowledge about that project and therefore won't touch anything there, even if I'm able to change stuff there. Please contact one of the bureaucrats for the named projects directly, you may use this wiki for doing so. Krinkle might be able to help you. -Barras talk 16:31, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
- Well, on the dev cluster things can be done without leaving a trace for normal users. -Barras talk 18:10, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
- Ah, yes. Thank you for all your help. --JustBerry (talk) 18:11, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
- @JustBerry: Except in this case, there is a trace: . PiRSquared17 (talk) 18:13, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
- Ah, yes. Thank you for all your help. --JustBerry (talk) 18:11, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
Hi there Barras.
I requested Translation Adminship a few weeks ago and the request was being addressed by a few other bureaucrats. They haven't replied for a few days so I was wondering if you could have a look here. AkifumiiTalk 02:09, 21 June 2014 (UTC)
- I closed it. -Barras talk 11:16, 21 June 2014 (UTC)
RD personal wars on #wikimedia
- Well, looking quickly at my logs the language shown by the people +q'ed is enough to quiet them. Also with the further behaviour in -ops afterwards I think that people who react like that should not be ops in any channels. So far... gotta go now. -14:17, 2 July 2014 (UTC)
I simply forgot a space between the first and last name and hope you can fix it.
Old username : CiaraMcAvoy
New Username : Ciara McAvoy
- Hello @CiaraMcAvoy:, I think you may want to request a rename on the English Wikipedia and not here. The edits to my talk page are your only edits to this project and so it is easier to just re-create the username. However, you can go to en:WP:CHU/S and ask there for a rename. Regards, -Barras talk 09:38, 9 July 2014 (UTC)
Craig Fisher account and page blocked
Why was my page and account Craig Fisher blocked? I saw other people with pages I believe not any different than mine?
- Pretty simply spam of a single purpose account. -Barras talk 23:16, 10 July 2014 (UTC)
Hello Barras. I updated your global.js page to the latest version of ForceLTR, and your your monobook.js page to the latest version of StewardScript. This is mainly to enable automatic updates, but it also includes a few fixes. If you notice any problems or have questions, let me know! :) —Pathoschild 03:55, 25 August 2014 (UTC)
- I'm still using monobook and won't change to any other skin. If you want to merge/fix it, so please feel free to do it. :-) -Barras talk 20:55, 25 August 2014 (UTC)
- Done. :) —Pathoschild 21:01, 25 August 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks again, Patho! -Barras talk 07:49, 26 August 2014 (UTC)
An important message about renaming users
I am cross-posting this message to many places to make sure everyone who is a Wikimedia Foundation project bureaucrat receives a copy. If you are a bureaucrat on more than one wiki, you will receive this message on each wiki where you are a bureaucrat.
As you may have seen, work to perform the Wikimedia cluster-wide single-user login finalisation (SUL finalisation) is taking place. This may potentially effect your work as a local bureaucrat, so please read this message carefully.
Why is this happening? As currently stated at the global rename policy, a global account is a name linked to a single user across all Wikimedia wikis, with local accounts unified into a global collection. Previously, the only way to rename a unified user was to individually rename every local account. This was an extremely difficult and time-consuming task, both for stewards and for the users who had to initiate discussions with local bureaucrats (who perform local renames to date) on every wiki with available bureaucrats. The process took a very long time, since it's difficult to coordinate crosswiki renames among the projects and bureaucrats involved in individual projects.
The SUL finalisation will be taking place in stages, and one of the first stages will be to turn off Special:RenameUser locally. This needs to be done as soon as possible, on advice and input from Stewards and engineers for the project, so that no more accounts that are unified globally are broken by a local rename to usurp the global account name. Once this is done, the process of global name unification can begin. The date that has been chosen to turn off local renaming and shift over to entirely global renaming is 15 September 2014, or three weeks time from now. In place of local renames is a new tool, hosted on Meta, that allows for global renames on all wikis where the name is not registered will be deployed.
Your help is greatly needed during this process and going forward in the future if, as a bureaucrat, renaming users is something that you do or have an interest in participating in. The Wikimedia Stewards have set up, and are in charge of, a new community usergroup on Meta in order to share knowledge and work together on renaming accounts globally, called Global renamers. Stewards are in the process of creating documentation to help global renamers to get used to and learn more about global accounts and tools and Meta in general as well as the application format. As transparency is a valuable thing in our movement, the Stewards would like to have at least a brief public application period. If you are an experienced renamer as a local bureaucrat, the process of becoming a part of this group could take as little as 24 hours to complete. You, as a bureaucrat, should be able to apply for the global renamer right on Meta by the requests for global permissions page on 1 September, a week from now.
In the meantime please update your local page where users request renames to reflect this move to global renaming, and if there is a rename request and the user has edited more than one wiki with the name, please send them to the request page for a global rename.
Stewards greatly appreciate the trust local communities have in you and want to make this transition as easy as possible so that the two groups can start working together to ensure everyone has a unique login identity across Wikimedia projects. Completing this project will allow for long-desired universal tools like a global watchlist, global notifications and many, many more features to make work easier.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about the SUL finalisation, read over the Help:Unified login page on Meta and leave a note on the talk page there, or on the talk page for global renamers. You can also contact me on my talk page on meta if you would like. I'm working as a bridge between Wikimedia Foundation Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Stewards, and you to assure that SUL finalisation goes as smoothly as possible; this is a community-driven process and I encourage you to work with the Stewards for our communities.
Global rename requests
Dear Barras, thank you for your comment on my request. As a reaction, I changed the length of the discussion about my request. I hope, you can support it now. You can find the discussion about the necessary time for these requests here. Best regards, Samat (talk) 18:35, 2 September 2014 (UTC)
Hallo Barras, das Obige trifft auch auf einige andere zu: Bei Mskyrider und Ladsgroup steht nun 1 Woche, bei W.CC sogar 2 Wochen. Du solltest einige deiner Stimmabgaben überdenken und am besten auch an der Diskussion teilnehmen. Ob man sich auf 1 Woche einigen kann? Das fände ich am sinnvollsten. Ich habe den Eindruck, dass dagegen nicht wirklich viel spricht und alle damit leben können sollten. Außerdem wären die globalen Umbenenner damit auch deutlich besser legitimiert als mit einer sehr kurzen Zeitspanne, denn in den Wahlarchiven wirkt es später auch viel besser, wenn man keine allzu kurzen Wahldauern hat und mehr Benutzer teilgenommen haben. Auch wäre das Ende der jetzt eingeleiteten Wahlen noch deutlich vor dem 15., so dass dies kein Problem darstellen sollte. Ich fände es schade, wenn es über diesen Punkt zu einem großen Streit käme, das mit der WMF reicht schon völlig. Viele Grüße --Winternacht (talk) 21:42, 2 September 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry, hatte etwas über eine Woche Zwangsurlaub und muss mich erst wieder etwas einfinden... und konnte daher nicht reagieren. -Barras talk 12:26, 12 September 2014 (UTC)
Dear Barras, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.
- Request for comment: Requests for comment/Superprotect rights
- An open letter about its implementation: Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer
Peteforsyth 09:07, 12 September 2014 (UTC)
- Will take a look, if I don't forget. -Barras talk 12:26, 12 September 2014 (UTC)
Global CSS/JS migration
Hello Barras. You have global.js and global.css pages which contain your global scripts and styles for all wikis. Since August 19th, your global.js and global.css pages are loaded automatically on all wikis (see announcement). Since you already load them yourself on some wikis, you may experience script errors or issues like tools being added twice. I can fix that for you by merging your local scripts and styles into your global pages, and deleting the local pages with synchbot. Do you want me to do that? —Pathoschild 18:09, 20 September 2014 (UTC)
- Yeah, please do that! You don't need to ask me to do such stuff, I totally trust you with that stuff. Just go ahead and do whatever is needed, Pathoschild. :-) -Barras talk 21:47, 20 September 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks a lot, Patho! You are amazing! Good that you skipped dewiki, that is some special toolset for dewiki only, even if I like never use it. -Barras talk 09:48, 21 September 2014 (UTC)