Wikidata/Status updates/2013 03 22
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
This is the Wikidata summary of the week before 2013-03-22.
- Rolled out new code on wikidata.org. The new stuff you probably care about is:
- Improved references. They can now have multiple lines. This should make references much more useful. You can now have one reference with for example values for each of the properties "book", "author", "page" to describe one source.
- Fixed the prev/next links in diff view (bugzilla:45821)
- d:Special:EntitiesWithoutLabel now lets you filter by language and entity type
- Widget to add language links on the Wikipedias directly: added setting to enable/disable it per wiki and made it available for logged-in users only
- Widget to add language links on the Wikipedias directly: improved layout / size
- Made it so that the “edit links” link on Wikipedia is also shown when the corresponding item only has a link to this one language and no other languages
- Submitted improved Apache config patch to make wikidata.org always redirect to www.wikidata.org, which is awaiting code review and deployment.
- Improved the script that is responsible for taking Wikidata changes to the Wikipedias
- Added a few ways to better debug the script responsible for taking Wikidata changes to the Wikipedias. This should help with investigating why some changes take way to long to show up on the Wikipedias.
- Started work on automatically adding edited items to the user’s watchlist (according to preferences)
- Finished script for rebuilding search keys, so we can finally get case insensitive matches in a lot of places
- Support for multi-line references in diff view
- Selenium tests for inclusion syntax
- Improved parser function (that will be used to access Wikidata data on the Wikipedias) to accept property ID or label
- Increased isolation of data model component to increase clarity and visibility of bad dependencies
- Worked on schema access in the SQLStore (of the query component)
You can see all open bugs related to Wikidata here
- 3rd Media Web Symposium 2013
- Wikidata trifft Archäologie
- SMWCon Spring NYC
Other Noteworthy Stuff
- Join us for the Amsterdam and Wikimania hackathon and Wikimania
- Too many items with the same label and no description? Terminator helps you hunt them all down and clean them up. Also check out the top 1000
- Interested in the distribution of books by genre on Wikidata and similar things? WikidataStats can help
- d:Wikidata:Requests for permissions/Bot needs input from more people
- Detailed list of bots
- Collecting information about creating a bot
- We’ve crossed Q8000000
Did you know?
- When you edit a statement there is a little wheel in front of the text field. This lets you choose between “custom value”, “unknown value” and “no value”. “No value” means that we know that the given property has no value, e.g. Elizabeth I of England had no spouse. “Unknown value” means that the property has a value, but it is unknown which one -- e.g. Pope Linus most certainly had a year of birth, but it is unknown to us.
Open Tasks for You
- Hack on one of these
- Still looking for the right way to contribute for you? Have a look at d:Wikidata:Contribute
Anything to add? Please share! :)