|This page is a proposal for a new Wikimedia Foundation Sister Project.|
|Project name:||What is the proposed name for the project?||The working title for the project is Wikikids|
|Tagline:||Proposed project tagline (if available)||The encyclopedia for 8-13 years old that every body can better (to be fixed)|
|Project description:||What is the project purpose? What will be its scope?
How would it benefit to be part of Wikimedia?
|Wikikids is intended to be a Wiki encyclopedia designed for children aged 8 to 13, open to contributors of any age. The aim is both to offer a suitable corpus of knowledge for children and to let some of them, as well as teenagers them be involved in building it.|
|Multilingual wiki(s):||Will there be many language versions or just on one multilingual wiki?||One wiki per language|
|Multilingual:||Is the project going to be in one language or in many?||There will several language versions
|Logo:||Proposed logo for the project (if available)||or|
|Technical challenges:||If the project requires any new features that the MediaWiki software currently doesn't have, please describe in detail. Are additional MediaWiki extensions needed for the project?||No. The Special:EmailUser function may be disabled.|
The Wikikids proposal (Wikikids being a working title for it) is intended to be a Wiki encyclopedia designed for children aged 8 to 13, open to contributors of any age. It aims both to offer a suitable corpus of knowledge for children and to let some of them, as well as teenagers them be involved in building it.
It is very closed to Wikipedia in its aim and functioning, except the age range.
The proposal was first set up in 2005 and discussed within Wikimedia even earlier (2003). It was renewed several times by different users.
Many children already use Wikipedia daily, for it's the substantial content and the well known convenient way it it to find material on any subject. However, Wikipedia articles are often not well adapted to children, and children use of it may be for lack of a better resource. It is said that Wikipedia article are too long and difficult for them (which teacher or children themselves say) justifying another rendering on each subject, in another wiki.
Involving children in building the content can bring specials benefits: those already well-tried with the w:Wikipedia:School and university projects, and the facts that they can produce things of their own interest, that add to classical content. Implementing the same self-organisating frame gets children to feel an empowerment and motivation for both the content as a reader and being involved in it.
The project meets a recommendation of the 2010 Wikimedia Study of Controversial Content:
Recommendations: Controversial Text
It is recommended:
3. That, however, the Foundation investigate the creation of a “WikiJunior” version of the Wikipedias, aimed at children under the age of 12, either as a stand-alone project or in partnership with existing and appropriate educational institutions.
This work was requested by the resolutions of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Commissioning Recommendations from the Executive Director which states:
The scope of this work should be broad, and might include recommended changes to editorial policies, technical solutions, the development of new projects that are appropriate for children, and so forth.
It can meet with some articles of the 1989 Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Rationales or grounds for this project are however very closed to those of Wikipedia, saved that it has regards to the needs of the children.
Questions and answers
For frequent questions/objections See : Wikikids/Questions and answers
Readers age range
Children appreciate and can find a real advantage in reading content that is less difficult as usual wikipedias's.
For a such wiki to be useful and viable, it's scope has to be far enough from adult age and old enough for the child to engage in such a project. 8 years old children have usually reach a pretty good reading level, whereas teenager have other needs and resources opportunities. The 8 to 13 age range is just indicative, considering that all articles can't be exactly at the same level. Older people could find useful information on it and less than 8 year old children could be curious enough to have a look too!
- Adult editors have to be welcomed, for the writing job so as to watch the content, and to help with the organization.
- Children within the age target can get involved in this project by creating and editing or with other wiki tasks. This way of dealing with knowledge (posture) has an evidential pedagogical interest. It can bring good exercise and motivation to learn. It can help to lead the encyclopedia to the child interests.
- Older children, teenagers that don't (yet) edit Wikipedia can have the chance to do it here, and to make a good work, perhaps with Wikipedia articles as a guideline. The advantage is both the amount of work they can bring, and what this work can bring to them, like for the younger ones and like any Wikipedia editor.
Rules & Policies
Rules and policies can be very closed to wikipedia's, and develop as another community wiki.
Existing projects to be adopted or not into Wikikids
If Wikikids were to be launched, there would be the issue of its relation with existing, and the question of existing project to be hosted by the WMF and merge with Wikikids and help it being a multilingual project.
There is for now two Wikikids-like project that are doing well in activity and audience.
Three versions of Vikidia would be candidate to be adopted into this Wikimedia sister project.
Project plan and potential schedule for the proposal
The proposal has to fit into the new project process. It would be a new sister project, thought being as well adopting an existing project into Wikimedia.
Previous discussions and proposals
Foundation-l mailing list
Education mailing list
On the wikis
- Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Children's English (2003 and 2006)
- Wikichildren 2006
- strategy:Proposal:Wikipedia exclusively for Kids (2009); strategy:Proposal:Wiki for kids (2009); strategy:Proposal:Wikipedia Junior (2010)
- Wikipedia:User talk:Jimbo Wales/Archive 86#New Wikipedia for Kids October 2011
- Village pump proposals, WikiKids - Vikidia: encyclopedia for children, October 2011 (Archive) October 2011
- w:simple:Wikipedia:Simple talk/Archive 96#WikiKids - Vikidia December 2011
- w:Wikipedia:Village pump (proposals)/Archive 90#Primary Section for Children July 2012
- Wikikids/Wikichild January 2013
- Requests for simple language Wikipedia projects
- German: 2005; 2007; 2010; 2010;
- French : 2008; 2010; 2012;
- Spanish March 2006 and Novembre 2006
- Hebrew (2010); Chinese (2012),
- Projects in simple languages, statement by the Language committee, june 2011.
- Opposition to Simple English Wikipedia
- Supporting an Online Community for Kids, by Andrés Monroy-Hernández, Scratch Team at MIT, about the Scratch Online Community.
- (Français) La documentation et Vikidia, (Español) Vikidia y la documentación, Michel Barré.
Since January 2013
- Eduardofeld (talk) 13:55, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Clarayipmw (talk) 10:00, 2 February 2013 (UTC)
- ---ecarv- (talk) 17:28, 19 February 2013 (UTC)
- Hope you will success! Chihonglee (talk) 06:22, 16 February 2013 (UTC)
- I would like to join your project, please mail to chihonglee777gmail.com. --Gabrielchihonglee (talk) 13:03, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
- FrankyLeRoutier (talk) 13:08, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
- — TBloemink talk 18:02, 4 April 2013 (UTC)
- Tempodivalse [talk] 21:26, 4 April 2013 (UTC)
- Astirmays (talk) 11:25, 6 April 2013 (UTC)
- Hprmedina (talk) 18:50, 10 April 2013 (UTC). Nice project.
- Ziko (talk) 21:07, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
- TheK (talk) 18:36, 13 April 2013 (UTC)
- Jmg.cmdi (talk) 18:24, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- Jereemy (talk) 16:12, 5 May 2013 (UTC)