Wikimania 2005 broadcasting
|This Wikimania page is inactive and kept for historical interest. If you want to get the latest news on the coming Wikimania, or join the discussion of its planning, you may visit the conference's official website.|
A Note for Slashdot Readers who have followed a link here
If you are coming here from Slashdot, please note that their story is completely wrong about everything. But, you know, welcome, and have a look around! --Jimbo
Freematrix Radio Wikimania Page: http://freematrix.us/radio/wikimania
How to listen to archived talks
Freematrix may someday host the sound streams for Wikimania. They hosted the live streams during the event. Now that the event is over, you may someday be able to find archived Ogg Vorbis files at the Freematrix Wikimania 2005 page. The archived talks should be able to be downloaded and played at any time or streamed. They have not been posted at Freematrix yet, however.
Other information for podcasters:
- .ogg files will be available for download
shortly after each session.at some point in the future.
- um, define shortly? I get a 404.....
- the ogg files listed (which have now been fixed to the correct addresses) are links to the live streams. seperate downloads of each talk will be available on the freematrix radio wikimania page, and will also be linked to here, shortly after they are completed). Kyelewis 12:59, 5 August 2005 (UTC)
- um, define shortly? I get a 404.....
- If you would like your files available in a particular format, please list it below.
- MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3, otherwise known as ISO/IEC 11172-3 Layer 3 and MP3, not for streaming. Once it's around, I'll start making it available via file trading networks. It seems very unlikely that anyone involved has an annual revenue greater than $100,000 and I certainly don't, so no electronic distribution license is needed. Jamesday 02:35, 7 August 2005 (UTC)
- I can't see _us_ putting it in MP3 file format, if just for the fact that it isn't an open free file format, when Ogg Vorbis is available. You are welcome to, however, if you like to, convert to MP3 and distribute the files if you so wish, assuming it is kept within the licensing of the content --Kyelewis 10:51, 7 August 2005 (UTC)
- A high bitrate MP3 or other world standard (like MP2, the digital radio standard) form for transcoding to other compression formats so there won't be repeated generation loss from converting between codecs.
Jamesday 02:35, 7 August 2005 (UTC)
- A lossless encoding version, for long term full quality archiving and conversion to whatever lossy formats are popular in the future. Jamesday 02:35, 7 August 2005 (UTC)
- We may make them available in FLAC Lossless format --Kyelewis 10:51, 7 August 2005 (UTC)
ok, this is how it is:
all files will be in the ogg vorbis format, that's that, unless somebody codes them to something else, but it must be an open codec, no mp3. this is per Jimbo's request
before they can be added to any site, I need somebody that is trustworthy to contact me by email (email@example.com) or on irc (as Apple, DrApple, or AppleBoy, changes from time to time) to help edit these files. The following changes need to be done:
- files spliced and patches as needed as they aren't all in one piece
- metadata updated
- beginnings and endings to all files must be done giving date, time, place, license info, speaker, etc.
- check with each speaker on if it's ok to publish it.
if anybody wishes to take on this task, contact me --AppleBoy 03:06, 14 August 2005 (UTC)
- I was redirected here from a page that used to have a lot more recordings to listen to (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania:Broadcasting). While I appreciate the service Freematrix provided when the talks were going on, they host nothing about the talks now (nor have they ever carried any archives of the talks, despite the language on their page). The first Wikimania conference is long since past now, the live hall links Freematrix provides are useless. So, what happened to the recordings and why are they so hard to find? Why aren't they linked to the front Wikimania page? 29 October 2005
Recordings available for download
Friday, 5th of August
Please confirm that the copyright holders (the presenters and anyone who asked or answered a question) have licensed their content for electronic distribution. Probably too late this year... but FWIW, I hereby dedicate my copyrighted works in any of these streams to the public domain; where that is not applicable, I grant a BSD license to them and undertake not to enforce its terms. :) Jamesday 02:35, 7 August 2005 (UTC)