Wikimania 2010/Bids/Washington, DC
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
- Country: United States
- City proposed: Washington, D.C.
- Proposed dates
- Contact person(s): Chad (E-mail)
None yet, working on this.
- No official accomidations yet, depends on venue. However, Washington has a multitude of hotels at our disposal.
- Unsure yet
Travel and transportation
- Estimation of travel costs from all continents:
- Distance from international airport(s)and how do we get to the location: 3 major airports serve the Washington metropolitan area:
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport - only serves domestic flights, but is directly on the metro line and is just over the Washington city limits in Arlington, Virginia.
- Washington Dulles International Airport - serves most international flights to and from the area. There is an express bus line that runs to the city from the airport and stops at various metro stops along the way.
- Local transportation and local social opportunities
- The Metro serves the greater Washington area with nearly around-the-clock subway service, making travel around the district highly convienent. Additionally, bus lines run throughout the city, and taxis are available as well.
- Washington is home to a plethora of restaurants catering to a variety of tastes and cultures. (examples?)
- Visa issues
- Visa information is organized at /Visas, as the U.S.
- Tourism opportunities
- (when people travel from far away, they like to come for more than just the conference. What are the tourism opportunities around the location?)
Local sponsorship opportunities
- Weaknesses of the proposed location ...and how to overcome those weaknesses
- Travel to the United States can be expensive for non-Americans
- Visa situation can be tricky
- Strengths of the proposed location
- Strong transportation system
- Strong tourism opportunities
- Strong food and lodging opportunities