Wikimedia Indigenous Languages
A project to support smaller, less empowered,
Wikimedia Indigenous Languages (WIL) is the coordinating body for the promotion and development of indigenous languages on Wikimedia projects.
Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' vision is to see the sum of the knowledge available to everybody in their own languages and to share the knowledge of those languages themselves. It will achieve that by:
- Reaching out to indigenous language speakers with the goal of developing Wikimedia projects in their language
- Establishing working cooperation with like-minded organizations involved in the promotion, revitalization or recording of indigenous languages
- Creating and expanding Wikimedia projects in all indigenous languages
For the purpose of this project, an "indigenous language" is a language that is native, or aboriginal to a region and spoken by indigenous people, but has been reduced to the status of a minority language. In some instances, this may include an island of speakers removed from their language communities by trauma and diaspora. Synonyms are "small languages", "endangered languages", and "autochthonous languages"; some regions also use "aboriginal languages". Wikimedia Indigenous Languages focuses on languages which are under-represented on Wikimedia projects.
Why is it important?
Languages are the pillars of cultures and the vehicles of oral traditions. They are an essential part of people identities and an important heritage to preserve. Each language are an unique way of thinking and structuring the view of the World. Each loss of a language represent the loss of centuries old knowledge, heritage and history forever. Cultures are greatly weakened by the loss of their languages and often vanish with it or soon after.
According to the UNESCO, 43% of the languages spoken in the World today are vulnerable or in danger of extinction. A language becomes vulnerable when its youth no longer learn it.
Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' role is to support and encourage the efforts of specific projects to develop Wikimedia projects in small and endangered languages. It will serve as an international body to collect and share best practices, lessons learned and methodology to develop small languages Wikimedia projects and preserve endangered languages. It will also offer support to people interested in developing initiatives and new projects. It will also become the point of contact to set up cooperation with other organizations working towards the same goals and will also actively seek such cooperation opportunities.
- African languages
- Canadian Aboriginal Languages Wikipedia Coordination
- Cooperation between Wikimedia and Endangered Languages Project
- Javanese Language Wikipedia Revitalization Project 2012-2013
- Mobile audio upload app
- Promoting the South Asian languages projects
- Promoting the Southeast Asian languages projects
- Support to North Sami language Wikipedia
- Small Languages Outreach Wikiproject
- Sundanese language Wikipedia Revitalization Project
- Teamwork of projects in languages with singular status
- Wikimedia Australia/Activities/Aboriginal Language Wikipedia
- Wikimedia México/Lenguas de México (Español)
- Wikiproyectos en lenguas originarias de Venezuela (Español)
- Wikipedia WikiProject Endangered Languages
- English WikiProject Native Languages of California
- Малые разделы Википедии на языках России (Русский)
- strategy:Missing Wikipedias
- v:LangCamp 2012 (http://langcamp.org)
- Website: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Indigenous_Languages
- Email/Mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk page: Talk:Wikimedia Indigenous Languages
- IRC Channel: #wikilang
- Facebook: Wikimedia Indigenous Languages on Facebook
- Next meeting: To be scheduled.
- Last meeting: September 16th (read minutes)
Please add your name to the list (by clicking here) if you are interested in participating in Wikimedia Indigenous Languages or one of its projects. You are also welcome to join the Wikimedia languages mailing list which is also be used by WIL.
- Amqui (Canada)
- Ebe123 (Incubator, Canada)
- SPQRobin (Incubator/LangCom)
- MF-Warburg (Incubator/LangCom)
- Hydriz (Incubator, can help with Southeast Asia's languages)
- B1mbo (Chile and Argentina)
- Maor X (LangCom; WMVE, WMIL)
- Fhaidel (WMVE)
- ✒ Bennylin (I started the Southeast Asia project and currently active in Javanese projects, working with ꦲꦏ꧀ꦱꦫꦗꦮ)
- jduranboger/mallku (Bolivia)
- Kaiyr (Former USSR)
- A12n (with particular interest in: African languages; dominant themes across world regions; learning & best practices)
- Jon Harald Søby (LangCom)
- Pras (Javanese Wikipedia)
- Wilfredor (Maracaibo, Venezuela)
- Soul Train (Moscow, Russia)
- Baba Tabita (LangCom; WMKE)
- grrr... (from Madagascar).
- Millosh (LangCom, Wikimedia Serbia)
- HalanTul (Nikolai Pavlov) (Sakha, Russia)
- SereinWMfr (Adrienne Alix), (Wikimédia France)
- KSRolph (talk) 15:32, 5 September 2012 (UTC) Americas' languages - Peru
- Tadiranscopus (Turkey), (Azerbaycan)
- Holder (with particular interest in small languages in Europe)
- Alolitas (WMF Internationalization engineering team; Language Committee Observer; Interest in building tools for reading and writing in indigenous languages)
- Hendra Prastiawan (Committee Trainer at Wikimedia Indonesia, Indonesian Wikipedia)
- Richard Symonds (WMUK) (talk) (Wikimedia UK)
- Anna Paparizou (Athens, Greece)
- Tanvir Rahman
- Paola Granado Bolivia
- A R King (Basque (Spain, France); Pipil/Nawat (El Salvador); interest in other minority languages; see especially the Nawat Wikipedia)
- Kanon6996 (Lima, Peru)
- John Vandenberg (Australia; Indonesia)
- Ansuman (India)
- Awkiku (France ; Ecuador), French native speaker, contributing to the Wikipedia in kichwa language on the incubator.
- Eukesh (Nepal) Nepalbhasa native speaker.
- Rajesh Deoli(India) Garhwali language
- With Wikimedia Cascadia I support efforts to preserve indigenous languages in the Pacific Northwest. I also work with linguistic research organizations in Uttar Pradesh in India. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:32, 9 December 2012 (UTC)
- SpartacksCompatriot (working on Minangkabau Wikipedia)
- Carliitaeliza currently working on Meta Babylon:Translate
- Cekli829 (Sumqayıt, Azərbaycan)
- Yupik (bureaucrat on the Northern Saami Wikipedia)
- Xuacu (Spain) Translation in Asturian language of Mediawiki and Meta messages
- Francis Tyers (talk) (Europe, the former Soviet Union and Latin America)
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 16:41, 16 August 2013 (UTC) (India)
- Enock4seth (Member of Planning Wikimedia Ghana from Ghana improving Eυe Wikipedia)
- Neljack (Aotearoa/New Zealand)
- Subhashish Panigrahi (Odisha, India)