From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
The main page is in Hebrew, please use the language navigation bar at the top of the page to see the English and Arabic versions.
- The Hebrew Wikipedia mobile poster exhibition - This project was created by the Hebrew Wikipedia users in the very same manner in which they enrich the free encyclopedia - the collaborative writing. The Wikipedian volunteers wrote and edited the texts, then designed the posters bearing them. The poster exhibition tours across Israel in an attempt to increase public awareness to Wikipedia and recruit readers and writers.
- The Wikipedia Academy Israel conference - A professional conference about the assimilation of Wikipedia in the educational system and the academic sector, promoting the free content idea in Israel, using organizational Wiki systems, and other similar subjects. The conference is intended to host hundreds of people from the fields of information handling, teachers, lecturers, students, and of course, the general public. The first conference was held on the 3rd of May, 2009, and the second on 14th June 2010.
Free Contents Projects
- Wikimedia Israel free image collection project' - Pikiwiki- is a cooperation between Wikimedia Israel, the Israel Internet Association (ISOC-IL) and The Center for Educational Technology (CET) to collect images depicting the history, geography and society of Israel. The images will be contributed by the general public and released to the public domain, or with the fewest limitations, and offered to the public on the Internet freely.
- Elef Millim project - The Elef Milim (One thousand words in Hebrew) project brings together Wikipedians for fun educational activity aiming at enriching the free image repository with pictures of sites, buildings and landscape in Israel. It is a series of field-trips to different sites in Israel, organized and guided by those Wikipedians who are experienced in tourist guiding, history and/or geography.
- Supporting legislation which promotes free content availability - Wikimedia Israel was a key partner in a joint effort to prevent an attempt to change the status quo regarding the copyright limitations on photographs. The attempted change in legislation could have led to further harder limitations on the use of historical images from the time of early Zionism, early independence, and from significant times in the country's history.
- "Africa Center" Project - As part of the annual delegation sent by the Institute of African Studies in the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Wikimedia Israel, in partnership with Amutat Hamakor, initiated a shipment of Linux-installed computers including a static version of the French Wikipedia to Cameroon and Benin. Wikimedia volunteers assisted in connecting between the university and Amutat Hamakor, installing the computers, creating a local copy of The French Wikipedia and instructing the expatriates.
- Wikimania 2011 -- Wikimania 2011 was held in Haifa, Israel. The conference was attended by 720 attendees hailing from over 56 countries. It consisted of two pre-conference days devoted to various meetings and workshops, three main-conference days and a tour day. Also included were three parties. The conference got very wide press coverage in the international and local media, and we got excellent feedback from attendees about their satisfaction with the conference. The official conference site.