Wikimedia New England
|Keep in touch!|
October 21-27: Open Access to Mass History
New England Wikimedians is the current name of the planned Wikimedia New England, which is a projected Wikimedia chapter for New England. This chapter is in a very early state of development, and new information will be added here as we learn it.
We're taking an example from our pioneering neighbors in New York City with Wikimedia New York City, and hope to cooperate with them and other US chapters in future through a Wikimedia United States Chapters Council.
Anyone interested in participating should also watch the pages listed below:
- 1 You can join!
- 2 Next events!
- 3 Yearly events
- 4 Ongoing projects
- 5 Legal standing
- 6 Organization
- 7 Contact Us
You can join!
If you do not live in New England, you can still participate in this chapter's projects and meetings online. If you do live in Boston, you are welcome to join this chapter's projects and meetings in person. Feel free to ask questions on the talk page then join the mailing list to start receiving news about events and to participate in discussions.
- October 15, 2013: Ada Lovelace Day Women-in-STEM Edit-a-thon @ Brown University
- October 21st - 27th, 2013: Open Access to Mass History is planned series of edit-a-thons during Open Access Week, broadly themed around Massachusetts history. See our schedule for more info -- there should be several Massachusetts sites and subjects to choose from!
Wikimedia New England organizes a yearly picnic, the Wiknic, usually around the 4th of July.
Wikimedia New England participates in the Wikimania conference.
Wiki Loves Monuments (September)
Wikimedia New England participates in Wiki Loves Monuments, which is a photo tour. The members take pictures of local monuments and upload those into Commons as part of the project's contest.
Ada Lovelace Day Edit-a-thon (October)
On Ada Lovelace Day (mid-October), Wikimedia New England organizes an annual edit-a-thon with two main goals: Encouraging women in particular to learn how to edit Wikipedia, and improving and adding articles on women in science, technology, engineering and math.
Wikipedia Loves Libraries (October)
Wikipedia Loves Libraries is the name of an ongoing effort to promote collaboration between the Wikipedia community and libraries, and during Open Access Week in the last full week of October this chapter participates in that project by having a meetup in a library.
In addition, Open Access to Mass History is planned series of edit-a-thons during Open Access Week, broadly themed around Massachusetts history. See our schedule for more info -- there should be several Massachusetts sites and subjects to choose from!
Education and outreach
Wikimedia New England sends campus ambassadors to schools to do Wikipedia outreach. Wikimedia New England also supports Wikipedians in Residence at local organizations.
We still need to finalize our minimal bylaws, though we don't plan on getting legally incorporated anytime soon.
Budget and financial history are at Wikimedia New England/Finances.
Right now, we're working on working with the other chapters in order to collaborate on different projects through the Wikimedia United States Chapters Council.
Since 2004, the New England meetups have been held on a roughly bimonthly schedule.
Currently, we have various vice-presidents, although we will soon elect a formal board:
- Vice Presidents:
Wikimedia New England will not have any membership restrictions based on geographical location. However, it will be difficult for people who live far away to participate in the Chapter. If you are interested in joining, or would just like to be kept up-to-date about the process, post your name here:
- Kevin Rutherford (talk) 22:49, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
- – GorillaWarfare talk 04:23, 22 December 2011 (UTC)
- want to be kept up-to-date and probably join, though I'm not in Boston! Aude 00:41, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
- Dominic 03:43, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk) 02:31, 7 April 2012 (UTC) - not necessarily able to join due to being in the Midwest - but support and interested in its development
- daniel renfro — a developer looking for a local community
- C. Scott Ananian — a mediawiki developer looking for a local community
- Girona7 (talk) 13:08, 24 July 2013 (UTC)
- VictorZzzzz (VictorZzzzz (talk) 02:21, 1 September 2013 (UTC)) - Allow me to get started on stuff quickly :)
- --Another Believer (talk) 15:28, 25 September 2013 (UTC) (I live on the opposite coast but support this group's efforts and wish to remain informed about its activity.)
- Rachel99 — Former OPW intern with Wikimedia QA group looking for a local community
- Pharos (talk) 17:46, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
- Antony–22 (talk⁄contribs) 21:51, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
- Faolin42 (talk) 17:07, 11 July 2013 (UTC)
- Sven Manguard Wha? 03:48, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:22, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- Reify-tech (talk) 22:21, 13 July 2013 (UTC)
- Becksguy (talk) 08:58, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- Pi.1415926535 (talk) 01:04, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- 126.96.36.199 (talk) 21:42, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
- User:Sphilbrick SPhilbrick(Talk) 01:10, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- Magic Sands (talk) 02:57, 20 July 2013 (UTC) — perhaps best known as an editor of Wikimedia New England's by-laws, as of 2013
- LibraryMatt (talk)
- P64 (talk) 20:55, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
- Achowat (talk) 13:56, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- Madcoverboy (talk) 02:39, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- --Malerooster (talk) 16:41, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- Protonk (talk) 18:21, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- --mikeu talk 15:09, 16 October 2013 (UTC)
Wikimedia New England tracks its activities.
Meeting minutes are here.
- Wikimedia New England/April 2013
- Wikimedia New England/20 July 2013 (Event page)
- Wikimedia New England/5 October 2013
We are very interested in contacts with outside individuals and other organizations in the local community.
If you have a project you want to work on with us, this is a great opportunity to get acquainted. If you want someone to give a talk or teach a class with an inside view of Wikipedia, meet your volunteers. And if you just have any questions, we'd be glad to try to answer them.