Wikimedia Thematic Organizations
|Affiliations Committee portal|
Wikimedia thematic organizations are independent non-profit organizations founded to support and promote the Wikimedia projects within a specified focal area. Like the Wikimedia Foundation, they aim to "empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally". Thematic organizations use a name clearly linking them to Wikimedia and are granted use of Wikimedia trademarks for their work, publicity and fundraising. 0 thematic organizations currently exist in the world.
This page lists current and planned thematic organizations. Please see the Step-by-step thematic organization creation guide for more information. The Affiliations Committee exists to aid the creation of, and to support, thematic organizations.
Approved thematic organizations 
Planned thematic organizations 
A list of planned thematic organizations in active preparation follows below. When adding information about your organization, please provide a link to a page on Meta with more detailed information (with a short summary in English) and provide a contact for questions about the state of the organization.
- A yellowish background means organizations are currently in active contact (as of the "last update" date) with the Affiliations Committee;
- A light grey background means awaiting an update (from the proposed organization or from the Committee)
- A light blue background means the Committee has asked the Board of Trustees to approve the organization's formation.
Thematic organizations in discussion 
- Esperanto kaj Libera Scio - recognized as a WUG at 2013-04-04, testing of possibilities, discussing about change of status to Thematic Organization
As the model of thematic organizations is new, there might be certain changes in policy, recommendations and best practices over time. Please have this page on your watchlist in order not to miss any announcements.
- For thoughts regarding the naming of thematic organizations, see the talk page.
- If you want to help the creation of new thematic organizations, apply for AffCom membership!