Wikinews/WIKINEWS LICENSE PROPOSAL : WNL 0.1
The Wikinews License is based on the CC-by licensure, modified to meet the specific needs of a Wiki.
This license is one of the options in the Wikinews Licensure Poll.
The Wikinews License is designed to ensure that Wikinews articles and other works are free to be copied and redistributed, with or without modification or as part of a collective work, while still preserving credit for their origination to the community from which they originate.
II. Applicability and definitions
The Work (as defined below) is provided under the terms of this WIKINEWS LICENSE ("WNL" or "License"). The Work is protected by copyright and/or other applicable law. Any use of the work other than as authorized under this license or copyright law is prohibited.
By excercising any rights to the work provided in this license, you accept and agree to be bound by the terms of this license. The Licensor grants you the rights contained here in consideration of your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights of the copyright owner(s) under copyright law or other applicable laws.
- "Work" means the copyrightable work of text or other medium offered under the terms of this License.
- "Licensor" means the Wikinews project of the Wikimedia Foundation, the Licensor Designate of the copyright owners.
- "You" means an individual or entity exercising rights under this License who has not previously violated the terms of this License.
- "Collective Work" means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other works are assembled into a collective whole. A work that is a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work (as defined below) for the purposes of this License.
- "Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
III. License grant
The Licensor hereby grants You a license to:
- reproduce the Work in whole or in part, to incorporate it into a Collective Work, and to use the Work in a Derivative Work
- distribute copies of, publicly perform, or otherwise make available the Work or any Collective Work or Derivative Work in which it is incorporated.
- To avoid possible doubt:
- Licensor waives the rights to collect any royalties for the public performance of the work, including digital performances such as webcasts, subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 114 of the US Copyright Act (or equivalent in other jurisdictions.)
- Licensor waives the rights to collect royalties for any recording (analogue or digital, phonorecord or other) you create from the work ("cover version"), subject to the compulsory license created by 17 USC Section 115 of the US Copyright Act (or equivalent in other jurisdictions.)
These rights may be excercised in all media and formats, current or future. They also include the right to make modifications that are technically required to excercise the rights in other media and formats. All rights not expressly granted by this License are reserved.
The license granted in section III, above, is expressly subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
- License, access.
- You may copy, distribute, and publicly perform the Work only under the terms of this License, and you must include a copy of, or provide access to, this license in whole with every copy of the Work or a Deriative work You distribute, perform or display.
- You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted by it.
- You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License.
- You may not distribute, publicly display or perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement. This applies to the Work as incorporated in a Collective Work, but does not require the Collective Work apart from the Work itself to be made subject to the terms of this License.
- If you distribute, publicly display or perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: attribution to Wikinews as the Licensor designate for copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means; the title of the Work; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Wikinews," or "Report based on original Work by Wikinews"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.
- If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from the Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any credit as required by clause IV(2.a), as requested.
- If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative Work any credit as required by clause IV(2.a), as requested.
V. Representations, Warranties and Disclaimer
Unles otherwise mutually agreed to by the parties in writing, Licensor offers the Work as-is and makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the Work, express, implied, statutory or otherwise, including, without limitation, warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, noninfringement, or the absence of latent or other defects, accuracy, or the presence or absence of errors, whether or not discoverable. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so such exclusion may not apply to You.
VI. Limitations on Liability
Except to the extent required by applicable law, in no event will Licensor be liable to You on any legal theory for any special, incidental, consequential, punitive or exemplary damages arising out of this License or the use of the Work, even if the Licensor has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
- This License and the rights it grants will terminate automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License. Individuals or entities who have received Derivative Works or Collective Works from You under this License, however, will not have their licenses terminated provided such individuals or entities remain in full compliance with those licenses. Sections II, V, VI, VII, and VIII will survive any termination of this License.
- Subject to the License terms and conditions, the License granted here is perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright in the Work). However, Licensor reserves the right to release the Work under different license terms or to stop distributing the Work at any time. Any such election will not serve to withdraw this License (or any other license that has been, or is required to be, granted under the terms of this License), and this License will continue in full force and effect unless terminated by Section VII.A.
- Each time You distribute, publicly perform or otherwise make available the Work or a Collective Work, the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and conditions as the license granted to You under this License.
- If any provision of this License is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, it will not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of the terms of this License, and without further action by the parties to this agreement such provision will be reformed to the minimum extent necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable.
- No term or provision of this License will be considered waived and no breach consented to unless the waiver or consent is in writing and signed by all parties.
- This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties regarding the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor will not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual written agreement of the Licensor and You.