[Mediawiki-i18n] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Announcement of bounties for the localisation of MediaWiki

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 02:27:09 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2008 09:51
Subject: [Foundation-l] Announcement of bounties for the localisation
of MediaWiki
To: Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List
<foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>, wikipedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org

Hoi,
The "Stichting Open Progress <http://stichtingopenprogress.org>" is happy to
announce that it has received a grant from Hivos<http://www.hivos.nl/english>,
to improve the localisation of MediaWiki. Open Progress is going to offer a
bounty of up to 200 EURO for the full localisation for a language. Given the
activity of Hivos, a Dutch NGO, a bounty will only be available for
languages in Asia, Africa and Latin America that have a sizable number of
speakers.

With this project we hope to achieve that MediaWiki can indeed claim to be
one of the best Open Source projects that provides great localisation for
many many languages out of the box. It will improve the usability not only
for the WMF projects in that language but also for projects like Wikimedia
Commons, Wikieducator, Wikihow, OmegaWiki .. the list goes on ..

The budget we have is substantial but limited. We will be sadly happy when
we have to announce that we have ran out of money. Sad because we want to
localise more languages, happy because so many languages will have been
improved.

For the precise details of the project I refer to the details on
Betawiki<http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:Language_project>.

NB The amounts are inclusive of the money transfer costs and as these can be
substantial, we offer some alternatives. In the past I have proposed a
scheme called "Donations, putting your money where your mouth
is<http://openprogress.org/Donations%2C_putting_your_money_where_your_mouth_is>".
In this scheme you choose to get paid or donate the money for one of the
projects that we advertise under this scheme. Another way of getting the
money paid is when people in a country agree to work together and have us
pay the money together as well. This could for instance work in the case of
Wikimedia India...

Thanks,
    GerardM

--