2017 Community Wishlist Survey/Miscellaneous/Fix talk pages
< 2017 Community Wishlist Survey | Miscellaneous(Redirected from 2017 Community Wishlist Survey/Miscellaneous/Form-based discussion on talk page)
- Problem: Wikipedia contributors without Mediawiki experience are irritated by the (lack of) a proper user interface talk pages.
- Who would benefit: All contributors taking part in discussions.
- Proposed solution: For example, there should be buttons to add a reply to an existing topic or to add a new topic. The structure (currently achieved through indentation) as well as the name of the user and the date of the contribution should be handled automatically.
- More comments: The current talk page format follows the wiki philosophy, but when we want constructive discussions, this seems like romantic fundamentalism. Let's make discussions more approachable for everyone.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposers: --Bernd.Brincken (talk) 18:57, 14 November 2017 (UTC) and --Gnom (talk) 08:57, 16 November 2017 (UTC)
- How would this differ from the existing Structured Discussions extension (formerly known as "Flow")? Anomie (talk) 14:53, 15 November 2017 (UTC)
- It probably wouldn't, although there may be other solutions to the talk page problem. I really want talk pages fixed as soon as possible, therefore I strongly support this wish. --Gnom (talk) Let's make Wikipedia green! 08:57, 16 November 2017 (UTC)
- To be honest, I didn't know about Structured Discussion. The project does include my proposal, but adds a number of features. Looks quite ambitious to me. Should it be realized as planned - fine. Then I see, it was removed from en-WP one year ago: mw:Structured_Discussions/Rollout#Rollout. Maybe because it was too .. ambitious? --Bernd.Brincken (talk) 12:29, 18 November 2017 (UTC)