1. Place the following code at the bottom of the appropriate section below: </translate>
<translate> 2. Fill in the values:
3. If anything is missing from your request, a steward will request more information.
On behalf of this user, I'm asking for temporary adminship for him. This user is currently and for some time the sole active user on this wiki, and he acts responsibly. Current sysop is inactive for some months, and made just 3 edits in the last year. Rubbish is building up and there's no one to delete unwanted pages. I asked his permission to propose his name for temp adminship (see discussion link). Thanks, Malafaya 09:47, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
I would like to renew my mandate of temporary sysop on mgwikipedia. Because I have to correct some mediawiki messages. I will also have to reorganize the sitenotice but I can't because I'm no longer admin.
That's why I request for temporary adminship.
Good afternoon. I have requests for adminship in Russian Wikibooks. But it has not got bureaucrats and so big local community. And I would like You help. - Iniquity 18:47, 3 September 2009 (UTC)
The following discussion is closed.
(After the system gave me approval to proceed with starting SUL my account, it logged me into Commons okay, but it has done something which is not auto-logging me into Meta, and is actually preventing me from logging in there now. I'm am reluctant to try any more projects, as I don't want to see it break my access to any other projects, even though the SUL is supposed to streamline the login-access process. SUMMARY - Please restore my access to Meta, or kill the account on Meta and I can try it again, or fix the bug. Thanks much) 15:22, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- Hello, Your sul account looks just fine, please tell us what error message You get and make sure to have a clear cache and to accept cookies! (that might already solve the problem...) Best regards, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 01:25, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the help :) Here are the points of trouble..
1) At login screen for this meta.Wikipedia location, it tells me "Login error Incorrect password entered. Please try again." ..If the SUL was working it would log me in here too without even requiring a separate login screen. The SUL system had said all was ready to go and approved before I pushed that button to go ahead with it.
2) AT the toolserver http://toolserver.org/~vvv/sulutil.php?user=Aviedit, it reports my account for here as "unattached", leading me to believe it is another bug which did not correctly link my global account together. You can see by the time stamps there that it was after I instituted the SUL attempt, though it does not show my original meta registration date, which should be roughly around the time of my en.Wikipedia registration date (sometime in 2007).
3) Clearly I am the same person (en.Wiki and meta.Wiki), and you can see from my en.Wiki contributions page, and my meta.Wiki file upload, which is a direct subset of my en.Wiki contribution (file at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SamOlyEagle1.png, and contribution at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sam_(Olympic_mascot)&diff=next&oldid=173290422).
All of this leads me to believe there is a bug in the SUL (which has been noted, there are some bugs), which isn't allowing me to access my account on the meta.Wiki as I previously could. The least likely possibility is that I used a different password over here than at en.Wiki, but that seems very unlikely, since the SUL page gave me the full go-ahead to implement it that everything had checked out alright before I pressed that button, and am now having a problem.
If you need any more info, plz feel free to ask.. Thanks 14:52, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Can You please try using the password You had before You used sul, or if that does not work, please try password reset. (note - This did not work after the SUL broke, but after you fixed it, my password worked again Aviedit 03:40, 31 August 2009 (UTC)) This indeed seems to be a bug, because in special:centralauth the account on Meta is neither unattached nor attached, it simply does not show up at all. There were such occurences in the very beginning, but they were fixed, apparently not completely. However, using the old password or doing a password reset and then merging the account with special:mergeaccount solved the problem. Please try this and report if it works or not. Best regards, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 17:34, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- P.S. Do You see the meta account as unattached one in en:special:mergeaccount? --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 17:37, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Since the account on meta was never used (0 edits) and appeared to have been automatically created yesterday, I've renamed it and the system now correctly says that the name is already taken for SUL if I try to create a new one on meta. Please try now and let us know. Thank you. --M/ 20:28, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Thank you for your diligence, birdy and M7 .. :) ..I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the toolserver and no longer see the "unattached" message there, and in answer to your question I never did see the Meta account as noted in the special-mergeaccount area.. my clues to the problem were a) seeing the unattached message in the toolserver, b) and the change in status at the top of the screen when going from any other wiki to the Meta wiki, whereas it normally showed logged in, and suddenly at that one it would not be logged in, even after clearing the cache from before.
Before I login, how would you like me to proceed.. should I login at my Home Wiki and proceed as standard by going to the others and the Meta after that, to see if it logs me in the way the system is intended, or should I first (before logging in anywhere) go to the Meta and login independently there? When dealing with bugs, I don't want to take a chance on undoing what you seem to have fixed. :) ..Thanks 01:23, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
Hello... :) Looking a little bit closer to what you said and and based also on M7s statement of "the system now correctly says that the name is already taken for SUL if I try to create a new one on meta", that sounds like the SUL loging at my home wiki should actually work now, so I'll try logging in that way and see how it goes, and if it still has an issue we can try the rename-discard again ah? Thanks! 03:11, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
Oky doke... here's what happened (maybe it'll be of further assistance on solving this bug).. I went ahead and did the standard SUL login, which is supposed to log me in globally. Unfortunately this still did not log me into Meta at this point, as it is designed to do. However, I went back and logged out of SUL, and then logged into Meta directly, and that finally registered me, apparently, via that route. (I'm presuming all the other subsequent wikis will login correctly hereafter. My deduction is that 1) combined with the "_discard" fix that M7 did, and 2) the advice and investigation that spacebirdy did, both helped this be resolved, at least in current functionality until the bug is traced. And 3) perhaps part of the bug root is that I had the Aviedit account there back in November of 2007 (I think), and perhaps the migration problem had something to do with a bot that converted my only file from JPG to PNG (which is fine), but that automatically takes ownership of the file, so my name and entries still existed, but realistically (as you noted) it showed that I had 0 entries there anymore because the bot converted them... ? Just chasing possibilities... I can't think of any other reason it wouldn't work, but since it finally logged me in, I can sign properly here now :) Thanks Lots! Aviedit 03:36, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
EDIT: uh oh.... sorry, but I have some bad news about that bug :/ After I wrote the above, I went to dinner and my login had timed out when I got back, so I logged in again (fine so far), the en.Wiki home wiki login went fine, and right afterward you get that window that says it is logging in globally. So I waited a minute to make sure it was finished... but now, after logging in again (after the above successes), I no long show as logged in to ANY of the other wikis, not just the Meta wiki :/ And... I (again) cannot login to the individual wikis with my password again, even after clearing the local cache and cookies.
- So, I'd like to humbly request (and sorry for the trouble), but until this bug is fixed, could you please just 1) Reverse/Cancel my SUL and 2) kill all the auto-initiated accounts (except my Home Wiki at enWiki) shown at http://toolserver.org/~vvv/sulutil.php?user=Aviedit (and also the Meta one with my two edits, which are just comments here in this thread)... and, when I see them cleared on the toolserver, I will just go ahead and re-make the accounts individually for now. Logging in at each instead will still be a lot less frustrating than having it be broken and not being globally logged in, and not being able to login at all. (this section retracted since it has been discovered SUL will function at least in FireFox..)
Thanks Again, and I'm glad to help if I can answer any more questions which can help solve this issue/bug.
- I think it is better to escalate this to developers, just let me suggest a couple of other tests. Since it seems strange to me that login expires just in a few hours, will you please try
- another browser
- another connectivity, if available
- another PC/workstation, if possible,
- just to make sure that the problem is not "your side". Thank you for your patience. --M/ 08:20, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
..Sounds fine :) Before I go check another few machines, I can pass along what's been used so far.. I have been using two machines for this effort to go SUL, since it seems like such a good concept.. both machines are Vista, one the initial release, the other SP1 (second release). First machine is 3 years old, 2nd machine is 3 months old. Three browsers have been used for the tests, though I haven't taken notes on that subtlety.. the outcome seems the same so far (FireFox 22.214.171.124, GoogleChrome 126.96.36.199, and I.E. 7). The last few tests (trying to get in and hope it would keep working) was in I.E. 7 unrestricted .. I didn't want to take any chances that AdBlockers or ScriptBlockers (used in FireFox) would affect the process.
My other options are to try it on WinXP with FireFox and I.E. 6, and on Mac 10.2, or .3 or .4 with Safari, FireFox, I.E. (version unknown), Camino and iCab.
To recap, 1) the main home wiki login seems to work fine still. 2) The meta wiki worked once after you did the _discard, but I had to login directly to it (which means it wasn't a password issue), and then did not work the second or subsequent times. 3) Now the SUL no longer works for me on the other sites as well, which worked before we tried this fix.
I will go test.. - logging into en home wiki and see if SUL works in some browsers. - if not, will try independently logging into one or more of the ten other sites (shown as registered by SUL).
Thanks! (p.s. I am not signing these for now since it just puts my I.P. in ... dunno that this matters unless you want it for now)... -Aviedit
FIRST REPORT - from Mac OSX 10.3 (I could not find iCab and Camino on this one.. must have been another machine... sorry)
- FireFox 1.x - Worked absolutely swimmingly! (using it right now for that reason) Logged in at home wiki, went to other wpedia and wmedia sites, stayed logged in all through. Logged out and relogged in, went fine second time too. So far it looks like I may have to use SUL on this old Mac with this old FireFox! :D
- Safari 1.x - Almost completely tanked. Stayed logged in with home wiki (en) but would not be logged in on other wikis, and after I came back from going to the others, it had logged me out even at the home wiki.
- I.E. 5.x - Another fail, but even moreso. It logged me in but would not even go past the first page.. logged out right away upon transitioning to any other wiki page.
Going to check the XP machine now. Aviedit 11:40, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
SECOND REPORT - from WinXP
- FireFox 1.x - Worked great again, as in the above Mac test, although it wouldn't log me into the Incubator wiki, but I don't know if that's one not included in the SUL or not. This also proved to be true when I went back to this Mac... no SUL for the Incubator, but at least I still stayed logged in the other pages without getting kicked.
- I.E. 6x - Again, this tanked pretty badly. Would not SUL login to the other wikis. Did keep me logged into the home wiki though.
I suppose it would not bee too much trouble to use the Mac FireFox for SUL.. I don't do all that many updates :D .. but I will go check FireFox and GoogleChrome on the other Vista machine now before I give up and resort to that.
THIRD REPORT - I guess I won't have to be doing that :) Both FireFox 2.x and seemed to work fine on the second Vista machine, and GoogleChrome mostly fine, except for some very short time-outs on the login presence. Again (just like on the other Vista) I.E. 7 phailed when trying to navigate to another wiki and get logged in there, though it did keep me logged in at home.
The problems from the bug seem to be in their relationship with Internet Explorer and Safari primarily, and possibly other browsers. I got concerned because I had my first results from the fixes you all did from using I.E. 7 to implement the fixed SUL you all did for my login. I'm fine with using FireFox to login, now that I know, although for the bug's sake I suppose it might be well to get it playing nicely with Safari and I.E. and other browsers someday (did not test AOL or Opera either, for example).. :)
- Oh .... funny little thing happened as I tried to post this entry this time (related to your comment about exceedingly short sessions above).. I got a "Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data. Please try again. If it still does not work, try logging out and logging back in." message, which means the session (while using GoogleChrome right now) expired in minutes, not hours ;P (might still be a significant bug factor). Thus, instead of taking a chance, I came back to FireFox to repost this section, and will probably use it exclusively until this all gets solved.
p.s. (In case there is any question, I know the work on the bug goes on, but since I can SUL with FireFox, the trouble on my end is over (I think), so you can consider this Done if you wish, yet feel free to ask anything of me that would continue to help.. and thanks for all your hard work! I will continue to check this for another few days or weeks just in case).
p.p.s. An additional note which may help with the bug.. I noticed that my auto-signature is not putting my name on Talk Pages (as noted here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:HP_Pavilion_(computer)#One_Troubleshooting_Note) .. I tried twice, once with the tildetildetildetilde and once with the dashdashtildetildetildetilde, and both times it only put the date stamp without the name.
Thanks Again! ..Aviedit 12:46, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
- closed, isn't it, best regards, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 18:04, 3 September 2009 (UTC)