Arctic Knot Conference 2021/Call for submissions
The call for submissions is now open. The deadline for submitting is 15 April 2021.
Call for submissions
The aim of the conference series is to bring people together and share their experiences of working on sharing information in indigenous and underrepresented languages. We hope to help people learn how to encourage the flow of information across language barriers and support associated communities. Attendees can expect to learn about and discuss innovative approaches to open education, open knowledge and open data that support and grow language communities.
This year’s conference will have a special focus on the Sámi indigenous languages spoken in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia, moving beyond the Celtic languages that formed the core of previous conferences.
Arctic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 2021 is for every Wikipedian and Wikimedian interested in indigenous and underrepresented languages and organisations, cultural and educational institutions working in the field of indigenous and underrepresented languages.
The overarching theme for the conference is looking at the future for indigenous and underrepresented languages and the Wikimedia projects.
Topics that are particularly welcome are:
- Growing communities of small language Wikipedias
- Skill sharing/capacity building in small language communities
- Wikidata integration and templates
- Sharing resources (re-use code and materials from other communities)
- Forming strategic partnerships
- Producing and using multilingual content
- Envision the future of your language community!
- Updates on your project(s) since Celtic Knot 2020? What’s ‘new’ in your community?
Since this is a remote conference, there are a variety of formats you can choose from:
- Pre-recorded video presentation (15–30 mins)
- Pre-recorded audio presentation (15–30 mins)
- Live video presentation (15–30 mins)
- Lightning talk (up to 5 minutes)
- Panel discussion (live, 30–60 minutes)
- Workshop (live stream with option to interact with participants)
- Help desk (discussion channel)
- Social activity
- Another remote format (feel free to be creative!)
Submit a proposal
By submitting a proposal, you must agree that:
- your proposal's abstract and any slides associated with it will be released under a license compatible with the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License 3.0
- if accepted, the session will be broadcast and/or recorded and made available in audio and/or visual form under the same license
There are two options to submit a proposal: creating a wikipage by using the field below, or filling in this form on Wikimedia Norge's website. In both cases, your submission will be published on wiki.