Our goal is the complete representation of all Swiss castles and palaces on OpenStreetMap (OSM) and Wikipedia (WP)!
From 20 October 2020, we are launching writing contest in four languages on the category of Swiss castles. This virtual event will last until the end of November (Monday, 30 November). Every Monday we can meet virtually to compare our work, discuss questions, etc. The aim is
- Wikipedia increase the number of articles about castles in German, French, Italian and English (of course you can also add articles in other languages)
- Wikidata make sure that these castles have a correct record with geo coordinates etc.
- Commons make and upload photos of missing objects, preferably in a separate category (see also Wiki Loves Switzerland).
- OSM complete castle with additional attributes (tags).
This event is organized by the WMCH under the guidelines of Respectful behavior space policy.
Missing articles and data
A first overview of the status of Swiss castles can be found at http://map.wikimedia.ch/v/swiss-castles. Please note that individual objects may be missing from Wikidata due to missing data.
Based on Wikidata, the following four maps show missing castle items for the four language areas German, French, Italian and English, displayed with a red dot each:
Conditions of participation
- Free access
Anyone can participate. We welcome any progress regarding castles and palaces in Switzerland in the following categories and in one of the four languages German, French, Italian or English:
Every item that can be categorized by one of this above mentioned categories or its subcategories, will be part of this contest.
- Projects involved
The first access is Wikipedia. However, you can also add data or media in Wikidata or Wikimedia Commons, and you can also connect these three platforms with valuable links. If you are familiar with OpenStreetMap (or if you would like to learn to use it) you can also add data there.
- High value
Whatever you do: Everything will have a benefit for us. Every edit counts. Please sum up your work and your points in your personal table. When this event is over, we will be generous and offer some prizes for the most effective volunteers.
Preparation of participation
To participate in this multilingual event, you must have an account in your language version. This is then good for all other Wikimedia projects except OSM. Please create an account there separately. Without an account we cannot track your activities and you will not be able to consider your points. But of course you can also contribute to this event without an account and without collecting points.
For OpenStreetMap (OSM) create a separate, own account on that project if you don't have one already. Follow the instructions on OSM.org. According to the guidelines you need to add hashtag #CastleProject to every upload. If you have any questions, contact Stefan Keller, firstname.lastname@example.org.
So join in and contribute to this writing contest. At the end (of this page and this event) there will be some prizes.
By clicking on this link, you will go to the subpage /Participants. Here you may add yourself and collect your points transparently.
The main focus should be on writing content, but small activities can also improve the results on our pages and the results in your contribution in this contest. The following catalogue of evaluation points corresponds to this. On the other hand, you can make a contribution even if you have not or not very much run out. Therefore we have adapted this catalogue in main and additional work. As you can see, you will receive the main points in the main work. Everyone is responsible for their own points. Everyone can see the points of the other participants.
Type of works
- Creating a new article +5 points (New articles should have at least 2000 bytes pure text)
- Adding pure text per 1000 bytes (characters) +10 points (rounding off to 1000)
- Adding infobox, table, chart +5 points each
- Adding one or more pictures to an article +2 points
- Adding geo-coordinates +2 points
- Creating a new dataset +10 points
- Adding any link to other projects and languages + 1 point
- Merging 2 datasets +5 points
- Adding any identifier (DOI, VIAF etc.) +2 points
- Adding geo-coordinates +2 points
- Adding or changing all other statements, labels and descriptions +1 point per item
- Adding or changing any reference +1 point per item
- Uploading one new photo with meta text, license and categories +3 points
- (Re-)categorizing one photo +1 point
- Uploading a changeset, typically one inserted or updated OSM element (don't forget to add hashtag #CastleProject) +2 points per changeset
- Add e.g. access (Tag access=yes/no/private), water well (tag "man_made=water_well"), firepit ("leisure=firepit") or barbecue ("amenity=bbq") - and of course the wikidata Q number, and wikipedia (e.g. "de:Burgruine Strahlegg") +1 point per OSM Element.
- Reporting a wrong or missing info on OSM.org +1 point per missing info.
Weekly online meeting
Without any moderation, you may join our BigBlueButton-Session. Jump in and listen or participate. With or without your webcam. Please try to communicate in your mother tongue or in English. Everything is free and optional with very low restriction. We will meet every Monday, 7.00 to 8.00 PM.
The competition is closed. Many thanks for the active participation. We will now begin with the scoring, which will be published shortly.
Completion in the part of our article and data landscapes is a high value. We would like to give the work behind it a correspondingly high rating. In total, we are distributing more than CHF 1000. If there are two participants with the same number of points, both will receive the correspondingly higher prize and the next place will remain empty. We wish you exciting article work.
- place: CHF 500
- place: CHF 300
- place: CHF 150
- place: CHF 100
- place: CHF 50
Private and instituional prices
We have already been offered a first book donation (book in German). Corresponding private or institutional donations can be selected as an alternative to the prize money. The ranks will move back accordingly. The offered prices you can see here.