CIS-A2K/Konkani Wikipedia @Goa University/Konkani Vishwakosh Digitization Project
|Main||Workshops & Events||Konkani Vishwakosh Digitization Project||Reports & Blogs||Media Coverage||Gallery||Join us|
Konkani Vishwakosh is a four-volume encyclopedia published by Goa University. It encompasses all the world information in a nutshell with special emphasis and detailed information on Goa, Konkani, Goan culture, folklore, history, geography etc.
Goa University has generously approved the re-release of Konkani Vishwakosh under Creative Commons License (CC-BY-SA 3.0) to make it freely available to public and thus preserve Konkani language and culture in the digital era.
Goa University in collaboration with the Centre for Internet & Society’s Access to Knowledge Programme (CIS-A2K) is digitizing Konkani Vishwakosh. In this project we will work with group of individuals who will help digitize the encyclopedia in a time bound manner. All 3632 pages of Konkani Vishwakosh will be digitized.
This workshop is organised for students, professors, faculty, professionals or anyone who is interested to preserve Konkani language and culture!
Time & Venue
19th-20th Oct 2013; 10am-4pm
List of Participants
Total number of participants = 37
Volume 1 (Total pages: 863)
- Supriya kankumbikar Volume 1; Page 1 - 100
- Dias neves Volume 1; Page 101 - 200
- Pritam barve Volume 1; Page 201 - 300
- Bandodkarneha Volume 1; Page 301 - 400
- Shivram10 Volume 1; Page 401 - 500
- Ashvini Chari Volume 1; Page 501 - 600
- Goenkar sameer Volume 1; Page 601 - 700
- Concyfeds Volume 1; Page 701 - 800
- Cliffa fernandes Volume 1; Page 801 - 863
Volume 2 (Total pages: 934)
- Abigail dias Volume 2; Page 1 - 100
- Darshan kandolkar Volume 2; Page 101 - 200
- Ramadas Vassudev Volume 2; Page 201 - 300
- Vaishali Parab Volume 2; Page 301 - 400
- John Noronha Volume 2; Page 401 - 500
- Sulochana Pednekar Volume 2; Page 501 - 600
- Gauns vindiya Volume 2; Page 601 - 700
- Frania pereira Volume 2; Page 701 - 800
- Rusita paryekar Volume 2; Page 801 - 900
- VIRAJ HOLKAR Volume 2; Page 901 - 934
Volume 3 (Total pages: 824)
- Marizma mascarenhas Volume 3; Page 1 - 100
- Sawantsona Volume 3; Page 101 - 200
- Paresh wadji Volume 3; Page 201 - 300
- Pooja tople Volume 3; Page 301 - 400
- Darshana mandrekar Volume 3; Page 401 - 500
- Reena Mascarenhas Volume 3; Page 501 - 600
- Linette saldanha Volume 3; Page 601 - 700
- Shaina Volume 3; Page 701 - 800
- Marizma mascarenhas Volume 3; Page 801 - 824
Volume 4 (Total pages: 1011)
- Suchitra Bhandari Volume 4; Page 1 - 100
- Savidha Talekar Volume 4; Page 101 - 200
- Zorekanchan Volume 4; Page 201 - 300
- Sulaxa moraskar Volume 4; Page 301 - 400
- Sampada naik Volume 4; Page 401 - 500
- Gauri Prabhugaonkar Volume 4; Page 501 - 600
- Suma parab gaonkarr Volume 4; Page 601 - 700
- Varsha kavlekar Volume 4; Page 701 - 800
- Priyanka kudaskar Volume 4; Page 801 - 900
- Rohit naroji Volume 4; Page 901 - 1000
- Akshay naroji Volume 4; Page 1001 - 1011
Calling out for participants
On 18th September CIS-A2K opened the registrations for Konkani Vishwakosh Digitization Project. As a part of the registration process interested candidates were required to fill out a form detailing their name, motivation to be a part of the program, comfort level with Devanagari typing etc. The form could be found here.
CIS-A2K also prepared a brochure for the program which was used as an invitation to call out for registrations. The invite was sent through various channels; such as:
- Konkani Wikipedia Facebook page
- Konkani Facebook page
- Konkani Rocks Facebook page
- Konkani mailing lists
- Goa University mailing list
- Goa University bulletin board
- Prints of the registration form were circulated
- Word of mouth
By 5th October (in about 2.5 weeks) CIS-A2K received:
- Total Registrations = 40
- No. of people who already knew typing = 33
- No. of people who didn't know typing = 5
- No. of people who knew a bit of typing but were not comfortable = 2
- No. of people from Goa University = 18 students
- No. of people who are Goa University alum = 4
Scheduling initial orientation workshop
CIS-A2K wanted to organise the initial orientation workshop on the 12-13th Oct however due to Dussehra festivities the date had to be postponed and finally the workshops were organised the following weekend;19th-20th Oct. 40 participants were broken down into 2 different groups of 20 each; while the first group attended the workshop on 19th Oct and the second group on 20th Oct; from 9am - 4pm on both the days.
Scanning of Vishwakosh
CIS-A2K got the Vishwakosh book scanned in a PDF document. It is 861 MB file constituting of all 4 volumes.
Organising initial orientation workshop
Out of 40; 37 participants attended the workshop over 2 days. Several aspects were covered during the workshop including introduction to Wikipedia, Konkani Vishwakosh, digitization process, typing in Devanagari for those who were not comfortable; allocation of pages from Vishwakosh to the participants etc. Each participant has been allocated approx 100 pages to be digitized over a period of next 2 months. List of participants usernames and pages allotted for them to digitize can be found on program page.
Plans ahead (for Nov)
CIS-A2K will organise open house Skype/Google hangout to help resolve any problems that the participants might face during digitization. One month after; on 20th November CIS-A2K will organise a follow up session to clarify any doubts that the participants may have. This will also serve an opportunity for CIS-A2K to schedule a mid-program review of all the work done by participants. CIS-A2K will produce a mid-program report in Nov that can be shared with all.
- Quality check: Participants are currently digitizing Vishwakosh but there are ought to be spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. CIS-A2K wants to make sure that the digitized product is of best quality and would want involve few resource persons to proof-read the final product. Finding resource people has been a challenge so far.
- Compiling work: Vishwakosh is a huge book with about 3600 pages. All 37 participants are doing their bit to digitize 100 pages each. Compiling all these efforts to finally produce 1 book seems to be a challenge. However details of this could be spelt only once the process starts.
- Adding tables and equations: Participants have been facing trouble to add tables and equations. They have been asked to park these issues and make a note so that we could discuss it in the follow up session in Nov.
- CIS-A2K received high number of registrations (40) in just about two and a half weeks.
- Out of 40 registrations; 37 of them attended the orientation workshop; with only a 7.5% drop out.
- The orientation workshops were organised successfully.
- Scanning of Vishwakosh was done efficiently and in high quality.
- Division of work amongst the participants was done methodologically and fairly.
Follow up Sessions
Follow up sessions will be orgniased to help participants clear their doubts. CIS-A2K will also organise editing sprints to help speed up the work. This section gives details of all follow up workshops organised:
- December 9, 2013 - Konkani Translation Sprint at Goa University Library
- December 8, 2013 - Konkani Vishwakosh Wikipedia Workshop at Goa University Library
- November 30, 2013 - Editing Sprint for Vishwakosh at Goa Central State Library
- November 28, 2013 - Konkani Vishwakosh : Doubt Solving Session at Goa Central Library
- November 26, 2013 - Konkani Vishwakosh : Doubt Solving Session at Goa Central Library