CIS-A2K/Work plan July 2019 - June 2020
CIS-A2K is submitting the work-plan for the period 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020. In next year A2K would be working to develop the comprehensive platform in India. We will be focusing more on promoting gender gap bridging, to imbibe the research culture to Wikimedia movement with the help of Indic communities which will whelp the community members to develop the Wikipedias in an efficient manner. A2K has been closely working with the Indic Wikimedians and has always been thankful for their support and encouragement, timely feedback and their interventions.
CIS-A2K would like to acknowledge the emergence of user groups, active community leaders who are serving as liaisons with WMF and other funding agencies for the growth of their communities. This is an extremely optimistic development for the future of the Indic Wikimedia projects. Earlier we used to work languages with focused languages like Telugu, Kannada, Marathi and Odia but in the upcoming year, A2K's main objective will be Focused on project Areas such as Wikidata, Wikisource and MediaWiki. This will allow A2K to engage all Indic communities and collaborate with individuals without the earlier resource or mandate restrictions.
|When?: January 2020, Where?: City to decided after community discussion, Number of participants: Around 24|
Brief description: Train the Trainer (TTT) is a residential workshop that attempts to groom leadership skills among Indian Wikimedia community members. Various topics such as conducting Wiki-events, and outreach activities, documentation and reporting, learning pattern, global metrics etc. are discussed in this workshop.
History: CIS-A2K has conducted Train-the-Trainer in 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019.
What part of this program will remain the same and why? CIS-A2K received mostly positive feedback about the Train-the-Trainer. Based on these feedback, and our own analysis, the main structure of the workshop will remain the same. Like the 2019 TTT, CIS-A2K will collaborate with communities to organise this year’s event as well, and the venue city will be selected through a community bid.
What part of this program will change and why? We'll make the following changes in the upcoming iteration:
- SAARC participation: In an attempt to expand the TTT program, CIS-A2K will ensure participation of 4 from neighbouring SAARC countries, including Sri-Lanka, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
- Wikimedia Strategy 2030: Wikimedia Strategy 2030 is a very important activity being conducted currently. We believe that Indic Wikimedia leaders/trainers should be well-aware about the strategy, related activities, and the recommendations. Following this observation, we'll have Wikimedia Strategy will be an important discussion topic in this TTT workshop.
- Around 24 participants from different Indic Wikimedia communities will participate.
- 4 of the participants will be from neighbouring SAARC countries
- At least 4 events and activities planned by the TTT participants during or after the workshop will be taken forward/supported by CIS-A2K.
Wikimedia Summit, India
|When?: 3-4 weeks before the Wikimedia Summit; Where?: To be decided, possibly Bangalore/Delhi, Number of participants: Depends on the number of participants selected for Wikimedia Summit, Berlin|
Brief description: Wikimedia Summit, India is a preparatory event for the Wikimedians who are going to participate in the Wikimedia Summit.
History: CIS-A2K has conducted this conference twice Wikimedia Summit 2019 and Wikimedia Conference 2018. In 2019 Wikimedia Conference was renamed as Wikimedia Summit, and we renamed the India conference accordingly.
What part of this program will remain the same and why? The main structure of the program will remain same. Indic Wikimedians who will be participating in Wikimedia Summit willbe invited directly. We'll get the list of participants from the Wikimedia Summit team. The primary discussion topics will be decided following the main Summit schedule in mind
What part of this program will change and why? We'll make these changes:
- Both in 2018 and 2019 we conducted Wikimedia Summit India 1-2 weeks before the Summit. We have got feedback from a few participants, specially after the 2019 iteration, that it would be better if this conference held slightly before so that after the event they get enough time to work on the learning to prepare themselves.* After the Wikimedia Summit, we will conduct a hangout session/IRC where the participants can share their learning and experience.
- Inviting all the Wikimedia Summit participants in the conference.
GLAM Partnerships development
|When?: One activity per quarter, Where?: At 6 places in Maharashtra, Number of participants: 80|
Brief description:CIS-A2K has planned long term partnerships with GLAMs in different states. The mapping exercise to identify potential partners is proposed. The diversity of knowledge areas will be the major focus.
History:CIS-A2K has built rapport and conducted some events with GLAMs in Maharashtra. The first Wikipedia Library Conference in India was also held in collaboration with these institutes. Gokhale Institute Of Politics & Economics, Tribal Research & Training Institute (TRTI), Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, Rajya Marathi Vikas Sanstha, Goa University are some of them. We also facilitated the Digitisation Workshop of 100+ year old 30 libraries with State language department. Through All India Literary consortium for Marathi, CIS-A2K has approached authors for re-licensing of books. Authors have donated old as well as very recent books published in the last ten years. Lek Ladaki Abhiyan, an organisation working on women's issues re-licensed 8 training manuals on legal aid and mental health issues.
What part of this program will remain the same and why?The GLAM partners in Maharashtra will be continued with the activities in progress. They have agreed to enter into official MoU with CIS-A2K.
What part of this program will change and why? Earlier CIS-A2K collaborated with these organisations according to the nature of the events from time to time. This approach will be modified. The yearly program calendar will be prepared for better implementation. CIS-A2K would work with the authors, publishers, state archives and Non-profit organisations' archives for content donation.
- Total Four photothons will be conducted in museums.
- Digitisation project would be planned and executed with 2 libraries.
- 1lib1ref sessions will be conducted in 5 libraries.
- CIS-A2K would plan to receive content donation from 2 archives.
CIS-A2K can initiate more programs under GLAMs project. Archives are as well important in libraries and training needs to be provided to libraries to archive important documents available in libraries. Libraries need to be trained in scanning and OCR of contents available with them with available technologies. Libraries also need to be trained on creating good catalogues of documents available in libraries. - User:Lisprofessional9999
|When?: First and third quarter, Where?: One in Maharashtra & one in other state, Number of participants: 20|
Brief description: The multi-disciplinary workshops for active editors would be conducted to imbibe the holistic view towards knowledge creation and produce model articles based on this integrated methodology.
History: CIS-A2K is working with people from various disciplines for knowledge creation. The stakeholders have shown keen interest in collaborative projects.
Why? Knowledge is to be presented in different forms, aspects and in appealing way. The interests and attention of the seeker should be taken into account. Therefore in many areas, the text is to be blended with media, data, graphs, maps etc to give holistic sense of knowledge. To orient the editors towards these facets is necessary to achieve this impact.
Editors group will work with experts from fields like - Language, Open maps, Open data, Multi-media and subject experts in two days foundation workshop in first quarter. The process will be continued online afterwards. The review and follow-up session will be conducted in third quarter.
Target The targets are :
- Twenty active editors from the communities will be involved in this workshop.
- CIS-A2K would engage atleast 10 experts from various disciplines.
- This program will be conducted in two states of India.
- 'Participants documenting river basin with guidance from watershed experts, mapping experts and field activists'
The wiki-workshop on "Rivers on Wiki" has been my maiden experience in the context of creating the Knowledge for the common good. The workshop gave me an another lens to see the usage of Wikipedia in regional languages as a medium for environmental consciousness building as well as conservation. Again, Wikipedia as a means for social audit was also another enriching experience in that workshop. Practical learning to edit the Wikipedia throughout the workshop has boosted my confidence and enthusiasm to create new pages on Wikipedia to devote myself in gap fulfilling for knowledge building and preservation (majorly documenting the local knowledge). The increase in cyber literacy and growing usage of smartphones have increased the context and significance of Wikipedia in recent times. I believe this campaign is worth devoting our time and concern. - Username:Simantabharati
Wikipedia Resource Center
Brief description: The multi-media resources to teach Telugu Wikipedia and Wikisource will be created by CIS-A2K. These separate topics on several aspects of projects can be connected together to make several courses like Licenses of Wikipedia, Resources and Citations, Interaction on-wiki, etc.,
History: In collaboration with other Telugu Wikipedians, CIS-A2K working on an extensive list of topics that are relevant to skill building in Telugu Wikipedia. These topics will be categorized into Beginner, Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 to get clear understanding of how and where to use the resources in actual skill building. Some of these resources will be created during Program year 2018-2019 and remaining will be created and utilized in next program year.
Why?: Creating movement resources will help community to sustain efforts to train and retain Newbies.
- Based on the list of topics that are being catagorized (Beginner, L1, L2, and L3) during current program year, A2K will continue and finish creating resources for these topics.
- A2K will conduct an exercise to create several on-wiki courses like Licenses of Wikipedia, Resources and Citations, Interaction on-wiki, etc.,
- A2K will organize a session for community leaders and interested trainers on how can they use resources and co-host online sessions to Newbies. This session also serves to build leadership among community members especially in retaining New volunteers.
- The resource material for 60+ topics listed here would be created.
- Total 5 courses on "Telugu Wikipedia editing for beginners", "Wikipedia, Licenses, and Copyrights", "Citing resources", and "How to interact on-wiki" using above topics will be created.
Wikipedia Quality improvement sessions
|When?: For 4 alternative weekends during October-November 2019 and April-May 2020; Where?: Online, Number of participants: 8-10 Experienced Wikipedians|
Brief description:: Wikipedia Quality improvement sessions are online sessions for existing Wikipedians who would like to learn more about intermediate to advanced aspects of Wikipedia and will be able to help newbies to
History: CIS-A2K conducted such session during February-March 2019 for Telugu Wikipedians.
Why: This intended to support "Wiki adoption project" where existing Wikipedians would help Newbies on a regular basis and also to improve capacity in existing Wikipedians to participate in Good article process introduced in Telugu Wikipedia. Eventhough these sessions contribute to building skill among community members major expectation from this event is that Interested Wikipedians who would like to groom Newbies will be trained on various necessary aspects.
- These sessions happens for two months period with a class every alternative Sunday; These sessions happens twice during next year.
- Topics of this includes intermediate to advanced level Wikipedia and Wikisource editing including aspects like Copyrights and licenses.
- Participants can sign-up On-wiki, unless proved disruptive to the whole process No one with at least 200 edits and expressed interest will be excluded from this program.
- Whole schedule and syllabus will be On-wiki. Every session will have a task followed by, which will be given to participants.
What part of this program will remain the same and why?: Main structure of this program will remains the same. Because, unlike similar offline event, this helps participants engage in this activity for a prolanged period at their ease. This ensures more participation, better retention and higher impact programmatically.
What part of this program will change and why?: A2K will record these sessions make appropriate editing to respect participants' privacy and publish on Commons as resources. Target: The targets are:
- About 8-10 experienced Wikipedians will be trained on intermediate to advanced level aspects.
- At least 4 of them will become co-hosts of Online sessions for Newbies.
Collaboration with Kannada University, Hampi
|When?: Kannada University, Hampi , Where?: Hampi , Number of participants:|
Brief description :CIS-A2K is planning to collaborate with Kannada University, Hampi to re-license and digitize books published by Prasaranga.
History: CIS-A2K going to submit proposal in the 2018-19 work plan year. Previously CIS-A2K worked with Dravida Samskruthi Adhyayana Vibhaga to digitize and re-license the content.
How?: After digitizing Dravida Nighantu, CIS-A2K planned to work with University at larger scale. CIS-A2K will re-license the encyclopedias and books published by Prasaranga. Also, CIS-A2K willing to help in the digitization process of copyright free books in the University library. CIS-A2K has planned to start GLAM activities in University by collaborating with different departments.
Target The targets are: The digitisation and re-licensing process of 100 books will be completed.
Revamping the WikiTungi program
|When?: Once in every month in Bhubaneswar , Where?: Bhubaneswar and other newly created community , Number of participants: 30 (repeat participation)|
WikiTungi is a CIS-A2K and Odia community driven initiative to develop capacity building of community in their area. It is a city based Wikimedia community formed to help the Wikimedians in the city to meet, share and learn. CIS-A2K started supporting two city based community groups from 2015, Puri WikiTungi and Bhubaneswar WikiTungi.
What part of this program will remain the same and why?
CIS-A2K will continue its support towards the WikiTungi as Tungi program has helped the community members to discuss various projects and activities, and helped them learn from each other's activities.
What part of this program will change and why?
We are planning to revamp the structure of the WikiTungi meetups, encouraging community members to participate actively in the meetups and also to be a space to mentor new Wikimedians for different projects.
- Total 10 WikiTungi meetups will be organised.
- Total 12 new Wikimedians will be mentored.
- Participation of atleast 30 Wikimedians/Individuals will be ensured.
- One Wikimedia project will be incubated.
Incubating new partnerships and supporting the existing ones
|When?:3 partnerships , Where?: Bhubaneswar, Puri and Baripada , Number of participants:15|
The partnership is one of the important aspects of community growth and development and has played an important role in spreading awareness among various audiences. It also helped the communities to improve Wikimedia projects by different collaborations.
In the past few years, partnerships with Sambad media, the government of Odisha and various other institutions have helped in adding new content and improving Wikimedia projects. Partnership with Sambad media house also helped us in spreading awareness about the Odia Wikimedia projects.
What part of this program will remain the same and why?
CIS-A2K will continue its collaboration with the state government of Odisha in relicensing their content under free license, as free licensed content is being added to Wikimedia Commons and are helping to enrich Wikipedia articles. CIS-A2K will work more with Sambad media house in adding references with the help of journalists and plan for an edit-a-thon.
What part of this program will change and why?
CIS-A2K will mentor local leadership to take ahead of these partnerships, have Wikimedian in residence and also look for partners aside of the state capital to help community members in doing outreach activities living outside of Bhubaneswar.
- Total 300 files will be added to Commons from these partnerships.
- CIS-A2K will facilitate five new government websites to be released under a free license.
- One workshop for partners to understand Wikimedia movement and free licenses will be conducted.
- One edit-a-thon with partner institution will be conducted.
Advance Indic Wikisource Consultation
Brief description: Advance Consultation programme for Indic Wikisource with core active member from each Indic Wikisource. The first Consultation held in Kolkata around Nov 2018. From this program we have got some exceptional output from Indic Wikisource community. After one year we would like to know the feedback/growth potential of this project specif to Indic languages.
What part of this program will remain the same and why? The main structure and consultation of the programme will remain the same.
What part of this program will change and why? Earlier this programme was focused on the need assessment for Indic Wikisource Community. But we feel that most of the Indic Wikisource community not at per compare to International Wikisource community (en,fr or It) as per content quality and statics .
Target The targets are:
- Around 20+ participants from different language sub-domain would be involved.
- Around 50 Wikipedian/Wiki-librarians will be trained after consultation and proofread 1000 pages on Wikisource.
Wiki Awareness Session(s)
What?To create Awareness among the students at college, so that we can get more number of students on board and contribute to Wikimedia movement.
Why?In the IIITB, Christ University every year new students will be joining the university. Not every student joined will be having the idea about the Wikimedia movement. these sessions will help the students to understand the key concepts of the Wikimedia movement and then if students feel interested we will be engaging them with the regular activities.
- A poster describing the Wikimedia movement and its benefits will be created and put on the Notice board, College website and others.
- A short welcoming video to the students of the Wikimedia movement and its benefits will be circulated over the social media channels and University mailing list.
Brief description: To improve student participation in the Wikimedia Movement certificate course for the interested students will be done at Christ (Deemed to be University). This helps the students to improve the knowledge of Wikimedia movement and also as an active step towards enabling the spread of content editing and contributing skills on Wikipedia in vernacular languages. In this year, the course is offered of the interested students. This course is conducted after normal working hours, this course is taken for 45 hours, carries 2 credits to be added to students’ academic records.
History: CIS-A2K has conducted this course 3 times.
What part of this program will remain the same and why? The main structure and the syllabus of the course will remain the same.
What part of this program will change and why? Earlier this programme was focused on the students to help the peers in the regular wiki assignment. But from this year this course will mainly focus on the creation of the qualitative articles and in converting the students to Wikimedians.
Target Around new 30 students will be taking this course and will create at least one articles and proofread 100 pages on Wikisource.
Brief description: CIS-A2K would like to give Internships for the really interested students at Christ University. This Internship will focus on developing the following skills in students:
- To introduce the Wikimedia projects, which involves collaborative work, research skill etc.
- To help the students to enhance their digital skill, do a critical evaluation of information, consumption, and creation of open knowledge resources.
- To enrich the content of Indic language Wikimedia projects, which also train the students to access the information in vernacular languages and contribute to the worldwide web.
History: Till now CIS-A2K has conducted 4 rounds of internship of the Christ university students. Which has helped them to develop the knowledge and skill related to Wikipedia editing.
What part of this program will remain the same and why? The structure and allocation of the work will remain the same because in your earlier intervention we have achieved great success in this and community members appreciated it.
What part of this program will change and why? The process of selection of the students will be changed and the allotment of the community members will be introduced this year because the guidance which the community members give is more precious and the students can be motivated to become a community member.
What? To conduct a MediaWiki training for the students who are having the basic knowledge of programming.
Why? The Indic community which is associated with the technical aspect is very small. This event will focus to get more volunteers on board so that the community will be strengthened.
How? A needs assessment will be done with the existing Wikimedia community and Media community to understand the exact place where the student's support is required and students skills will be analysed with a small discussion and then the MediaWiki training sessions and angeda will be prepared. This will be of 2-3 day event, mostly the students will be thought on basics of MediaWiki, Creation of simple extenison and fixing the bugs on phabicator.
|Line item number||Revenue source||Anticipated(INR)||Anticipated(US)|
|Conversion rate: 1 → US$ 0.01408|
|2||Travel & Stay||90,000||1,267.2|
|3||Event organization and logistics||112,200||1,579.78|
Metrics and evaluation
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- Footprint tracker: CIS-A2K team would like to continue with the "Footprint tracker" metric. This metric is useful to understand active Wiki-communities, locations with frequent Wiki-engagements, and identify institutional partners for supporting active Wiki-communities. It helped CIS-A2K understand its reach over current plan period, and address concerns of not engaging non-FLA communities.
This metric will track the number of outreach events that are organised by Indic Wikimedians with our support. This metric will be able to provide insights to support Wikimedia projects by local bodies and interest shown by communities. Further, this metric will help in devising efficient follow-up mechanisms and will avoid 'reinventing the wheel' regarding social events and needs assessment. A2K team would only count one footprint per city per project irrespective of the frequency of follow-up event or multiple venues for the event. This metric would utilise the geographical distribution of Wikimedians in India and also provide an excellent opportunity for participants of TTT to expand the reach of Wikimedia projects in their communities.
- Gender ratio: CIS-A2K would like to introduce a new metric called Gender ratio. This metrics will help us to calculate the ratio of female and male participation in the events conducted by CIS-A2K. We will make sure that 25 % of female will take part in every activity conducted by CIS-A2K.
The number of female participants in some of the activities conducted by CIS-A2K in the work plan year 2018-19 is as follows:
- Train the Trainer Program (2018): 21.4% (6 out of 28)
- MediaWiki Training (2018): 12.5% (1 out of 8)
- North India Copyright workshops: 22.2% (2 out of 9)
- Wikisource Community Consultation 2018: 22.2% (4 out of 18)
- South India copyright workshop:23.5% (4 out of 17)
- Advance Wikidata workshop: 0% (0 out of 11)
- Wiki Advanced Training 2018: 16.6% (4 out of 24)
|Program||Participants||Newly registered||Content pages||Footprint tracker||Gender ratio or Diversity|