Celtic Knot Conference 2019/Submissions/Challenges Facing African Language Wikipedias: What Needs To Be Done?
This is an open submission for the Celtic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 2019.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Challenges Facing African Language Wikipedias: What Needs To Be Done?
- Type of submission (Lightning talk, panel, tutorial/workshop, Presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Sam/User:Jamie Tubers
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Jamie Tubers
- Country of origin
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Over the years, the awareness, usage, and contribution to Wikipedia have steadily increased across different parts of the world. The growth in the number of Wikipedia contributors from emerging communities have indeed been impressive. However, the growth of African language Wikipedias has more or less stagnated over the years, despite several efforts from Wikimedia communities in Africa to get people to contribute to these small Wikipedias. This problem have been been attributed to several factors over the years, but lasting solutions continue to seem elusive.
The purpose of this session is to discuss in depth, several perspectives to this issue. We'd discuss and try to figure out together, what the main hindrances are, and in what ways can Wikimedia foundation and the local Wikimedia communities help to break down these barriers and help to solve these problems. We'd also discuss the efforts which have achieved some level of success and suggest the things we can do differently in areas that have failed.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
This session hopes to bring to the fore peculiar and modern challenges that African language Wikipedias are facing, and figure out possible solutions and how we, as a community can work together to implement these solutions.
- Theme of session
- Language Data
- WikiCulture & Community
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Will you attend Celtic Knot if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Some sides may be shared for projection.
- Special requests
- Although, this session is submitted as a presentation, I'd really like for it to be a Panel, if other interested participants become interested. This would allow broader perspectives to be included in this conversation.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).