Celtic Knot Conference 2020/Wikidata helpdesk
The below content is an archive of the note-taking pad that was used for this session.
Welcome to the Wikidata helpdesk during the Celtic Knot 2020! On this page, you can ask any questions related to Wikidata and get some help with your projects.
💡 How does that work?
This is a collaborative page where you can add content, without registration needed. You can also use the chat in the bottom-right corner for informal discussions with other participants. Here's how you can get started:
- Pick a username and a color on the top-right corner of the screen
- Check if your question was already answered in the sections below
- If not, write down your question in the "current questions" section, at the bottom. Add your username at the end of your message.
- The helpdesks mentors or other participants will answer as soon as possible. Note that this is an asynchronous process: if no one is online/knows how to answer, this may take a few hours. Please be patient and come back later to check the answers :)
- You want to help answer a question or take part in a discussion? You're very welcome! Just leave a message below the original message(s).
❓ Current questions & discussions
Feel free to add a new question here, or to answer others questions! For better visibility, you can add your (user)name in brackets at the end of your message.
- Perhaps only tangentially related to Wikidata, but it's empty here anyway :) I'd love to have feedback from people who know Wikidata or templates or modules (or all of these things) on this page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Global_templates/Transition . Your edits and comments are VERY valued. The more community people are involved in editing that page, the better.
- <3 global templates <3
- Global templates would be great! I hope the WMF implements them. (MP)
At CK Aberystwith there was a project demonstration of a voice assistant which could be asked a question in Welsh, and would speak out the answer retrieved from Welsh Wikipedia, if I remember correctly (and via Wikidata, I'm guessing). Alas I never got to record the contact details of the presenter/s. I have recently become interested in working towards such for African languages. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It would be much appreciated. ( User:michaelgraaf)
- Hi ( User:michaelgraaf), this was a project called 'Macsen' by the Welsh language technology unit at Bangor University. Their web page is here - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/canolfanbedwyr/technolegau_iaith.php.en [User:Jason.nlw] Thanks Jason
- I'm interested to revisit a Wikidata query I was developing for the Cornish Wikipedia. I was trying to make a table of the planets of the solar system, but have come unstuck trying to order them by distance but not really quite managing to do this correctly. The planets of trhe solar system all have the semi-major axis P2233 listed in both kilometres and astronomical units, which I think is what might be causing the problem. I've put what I'm trying to do on my user page at https://kw.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devnydhyer:DavydhT/Kyst_Tewes#Planetys [User:DavydhT]
- The best place to ask this (or other questions about queries) is https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Request_a_query - there are SPARQL experts there who can help. (MP)
🖊️ Archives ✨✨✨✨✨
In this section, you will find the archived questions that already got an answer. You can help archiving questions and grouping them by topic.
Here are the contact details of people who help on this page, and how you can reach them after the conference:
- user:VIGNERON https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:VIGNERON, @belett on Twitter and Twitch
- user:Paucabot https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Paucabot
- user:Mike_Peel https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Mike_Peel (No longer watching this now, but feel free to ask me questions on my talk page!)
- user:Oravrattas https://www.wikidata.org/wikki/User:Oravrattas, @tmtm on Twitter
More information about the Celtic Knot Conference 2020: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Knot_Conference_2020
The Friendly Space Policy also applies on this space: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Knot_Conference_2020/Friendly_Space_Policy