Chapter-selected Board seats/2012/Nominate
The chapters wish to locate truly excellent board members and believe that can best be done if there are a large number of varied and quality candidates to consider. Therefore, the chapters ask that everyone that thinks they, or someone they know, would be a good board member submit a nomination.
To submit a nomination please follow these steps:
1. Check if your candidate fits the requirements
The chapters feel it is essential that any candidate:
- is willing and eligible to serve on the board of a US charity (the WMF is a 501(c)(3) organisation registered in Florida)
- is committed to the Wikimedia mission
- speaks English to a standard sufficient to take part in detailed and technical written and spoken discussions
- has sufficient time to devote to the role
- will approach the role from an international point of view
- is willing and able to travel
- is willing and able to work as part of a team, both with the rest of the WMF board and with the larger Wikimedia movement.
The chapters would, ideally, also prefer that any candidate:
- has experience of Wikimedia chapters, either from external dealings with chapters or from being active within a chapter
- is good at both communicating their ideas and listening to the ideas of others
- has experience with international affairs
- has experience with governance issues
- has experience in large non-profit operations
- is able to work independently
- can effectively think strategically
- is able to recognize both the specific interests and challenges of chapters and how to best place them into the overall Wikimedia context
- has vision of relations between chapters and Wikimedia Foundation
- is from the part of the world not represented in current Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
2. Put together a nomination
The nomination must contain:
- The name of the nominee
- The email address of the nominee
- The name of the nominating individual or chapter, or a statement that it is a self-nomination
- A statement in support of the nominee from the nominator (if applicable)
- A statement from the nominee in support of themselves, including a statement that they are willing and eligible to take up a position on the WMF board for the next two years. They should also include a short CV.
3. E-mail the nomination to the moderator by 23:59 UTC 29 February 2012
The moderator is Beria Lima, a Board member of Wikimedia Portugal, and can be contacted at berialimagmail.com. You should also CC the deputy moderators, Mardetanha, Wikimedia steward from Iran, at mardetanha.wikigmail.com , and Milos Rancic, Board member of Wikimedia Serbia, at milloshgmail.com for added assurance that your nomination will not be missed. You should receive confirmation that your nomination has been received within 48 hours of sending it. If you do not, please email the moderator and deputy moderators again to check.
Nomination must be received by 23:59 UTC 29 February 2012. All candidates should be aware that they will need to be available to answer questions from the chapters between that deadline and 14 March 2012. These questions will be emailed to candidates and answers should be emailed to the moderator who will relay them to the chapters.