Strategy Plan Walkthrough
- long term (2010-2015) plan, announced last year
- Strategy wiki http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
- 2000 content pages
- 800 proposals
- 50 languages
- ~1000 people edited
- LiquidThreads Acitvity
- 4500 total posts
- 415 participants
- activity: more volunteers needed
- strategy task force collects all ideas of the other task forces
- difference: movement goals - foundation goals
- project was announced last year
- since then: a lot of participation (see numbers)
- 350M visitors (Wikimedia switched to comscore)
- 100K editors (5 edits a month)
- all numbers have grown organically
- Europe and North America
- Global South has to grow
- Strategic plan
- a virtuous circle around: reach, participation, quality
Numbers (ComScore map 1)
- Canada, Germany, UK and Japan >40% penetration
- US, Europe, South America, Australia 30-40%
- Brazil, Africa, Asia <30%
- mainly mobile services are used in developing countries (e.g. sms-access)
- unfortunately not all mobile services translated
- detailled statistics on some countries will be published (J. Walsh)
- 12 Wikipedias have more than 1K contributors (more than 5 edits a month)
- 31 Wikipedias have 100-1K contributors
- All other Wikipedia have below 100 contributors
- Mature Wikipedias
- Emerging Wikipedias
- success-story: russian wikipedia is the fastest growing
- Community health task force:
- a lot of editors leaving (-> survey)
- avoid decline, increase diversity
- bringing in women
- bringing in "social engineers"
- bringing in new people in general
- smaller wikipedias
- goal is to encourage people
- goal is to grow article count
- quality vs. quantity
- article-count vs. head-count
- 2015 scenario:
- strong, steady growth scenario: increase reach to 680 million people
- slowed growth scenario: ~500 million people
- no growth scenario:
- or even better: "dramatic" growth: >1000 million people
- Open Questions
- What will it take to reach more peple in the many parts of the world where Wikimedia is weak today?
- Priority1: Build the technological and operating platform that enables Wikimedia to function sustainably as a top global Internet property.
- additional data centres
- caching servers
- better performance & reliability
- Priority 2: Strengthen, grow and increase diversity of the editing community that is the lifeblood of Wikimedia projects
- shelter & support new editors
- funding to enable coming togethers of editors
- Priority 3: Accelerate impact by investing in key geographic areas, mobile application development and bottom-up innovation.
- supporting partnerships that expand mobile and offline access
- Boots on the ground: deploy staff teams in high-potential areas
- relation to media and general public
- events to recruit new editors and "social engineers"
- relations to GLAMs
- supporting volunteers
- representing Wikimedia's agenda
- How can people that are reading articles be motivated/encouraged to write articles?
- Budgets are built during the next weeks
- Question: How can WMF help the chapters?
- Most important part of the presentation/foundation's strategy?
- What's surprising?
- What are the priorities of the chapters?
- How can the foundation provide help?
- Most important
- Foundation should help weak areas.
- Question must be separated:
- Priority Number 1: Stability of projects
- Communities need numbers and statistics: Analytical view on what's actually happening.
- Alignment between WMF's and thinking DEWIKI
- Impact of criticism on wikimedia
- Limited / No focus on the scope of content
- Africa: faster growth
- How can chapters be founded in Africa?
- relationship with large enterprises weren't mentioned; e.g. cooperation with Telefonica
- Chapters; Priorities & contribution
- Increasing participation in the sociological (poltical, cultural) content of their community; what does it mean to expand part in a local country
- Content: main chapters are working to build their own organisations; important to strengthen for long-term
- Build chapters in other geographies
- Focus on other projects: e.g. Wikisource & Wikinews
- India: Support South Asia in general
- Involve Chapters
- How can WMF provide help?
- relalationship between Foundation and chapters; equal treatment (e.g. merchandising...)
- real communication, information & dialogue
- help to reach our full potential
- provide kick starts: money, help
- regional collaboratives of chatpers (e.g. pan-asian)