Komunikasi/Merek Wikimedia/Proyek jenama gerakan 2030
Terdapat permohonan pendapat yang sedang berlangsung mengenai proposal untuk mengubah nama Wikimedia Foundation menjadi Wikipedia.
Dewan Pengawas Wikimedia Foundation telah mengeluarkan resolusi untuk menunda Proyek Jenama Gerakan hingga Maret 2021. Baca resolusi lengkap di Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki.
Proyek pengetahuan gratis kita dibuat oleh sebuah gerakan global. Sejak 2003, kita menggunakan istilah "Wikimedia" untuk merujuk pada gerakan ini. Namun, setelah 15 tahun, nama "Wikimedia" tetap tidak dikenal dan membingungkan dunia luar. Hal ini membuatnya menjadi alat yang tidak efektif untuk menjelaskan siapa kita, mendemonstrasikan dampak pekerjaan kita, dan mengundang orang baru untuk bergabung. Sebaliknya, Wikipedia diakui secara global, tetapi tidak dipahami secara luas sebagai bagian dari ekosistem proyek dan komunitas yang lebih besar. Proyek Jenama Gerakan 2030 mengajukan proposal untuk mengubah nama dan desain gerakan berdasarkan merek kita yang paling terkenal, Wikipedia.
Jenama gerakan yang diusulkan akan terdiri dari konvensi penamaan dan sistem desain untuk gerakan, afiliasi, dan WMF. Semua komunitas dan afiliasinya diundang untuk terlibat dalam pengembangannya. Jika penggunaan sistem jenama yang diusulkan ini disetujui oleh Dewan Pengawas, WMF akan menggunakan nama tersebut dan afiliasi dapat memilih menggunakannya berdasarkan kebutuhan mereka.
Daftar kegiatan dan pembaruan proyek terbaru. Untuk daftar lengkapnya, lihat Linimasa.
- 2020-10-06: Naming survey feedback report was published on meta and the full report on Wikimedia Commons.
- 2020-09-30: Board update: The Board made public a resolution decided on 2020-09-24: Resolution: Pause of Brand Development Work through 1 March 2021
- 2020-07-28: Foundation board reviews Project history and Timeline, created by the Brand Project team. (Concerns related to the misleading nature of these documents at the talk page discussion)
- 2020-06-22 and 2020-06-26: Board updates on Branding and on next steps released.
- 2020-06-23 and 2020-06-26: Brand office hours. See the report.
- 2020-06-23: Ongoing: A community open letter on renaming has been published and is accepting signatures. For related discussions in the projects see here.
- 2020-06-18: Brand project executive statement released.
- 2020-06-18: Report released on the naming convention proposal presentation.
- 2020-06-16: Ongoing: A community-initiated informal poll on naming issues.
- 2020-06-16 - 2020-07-07: Movement-wide call for feedback on naming convention proposals. Details on the the naming page.
- 2020-06-16: Live presentation of naming convention proposals.
- 2020-01-18: Ongoing: Requests for comment: Should the Foundation call itself Wikipedia (volunteer-initiated)
How do you capture an ecosystem of people, projects, technology, content, and values? How do you do that in a single name? Or a design?
In 2003, we started using “Wikimedia” to describe the interconnected knowledge across projects as well as the communities and affiliates who make that knowledge available. But we learned, based on research, that “Wikimedia” is not a name that is well-understood or recognized by many people around the world. And while Wikipedia is well-recognized globally, its identity remains disconnected from the larger ecosystem of free knowledge projects and communities that surround and support it.
This disconnect impacts our ability to fulfill our 2030 strategic direction: if the world does not know who we are, how can we guarantee that anyone who shares our vision can join us? If the world does not understand our movement’s interconnected projects and communities, how can we become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge? Creating a compelling, unified brand will communicate who we are and what we do, inspiring people of all backgrounds to join us and helping us reach our shared movement goals.
This project has the objective of evolving our movement brand in order to clarify who we are, simplify entry points for newcomers, and grow participation. To achieve this objective, the project uses our movement’s best-known brand, Wikipedia, as a central reference point. The development of this project is informed by the qualities for good movement branding that emerged in the 2019 research and consultation (see below), and integrates new feedback as the project advances.
The brand system to be proposed will consist of a naming convention and brand design. The brand design is expected to include logos and design styles such as typefaces, colors and ready-to-use templates. This brand system, if approved for use, will be adopted by the Foundation and will be available for affiliates to opt in. It will not propose changes to the content projects.
This project supports the Brand Awareness priority in the Wikimedia Foundation's medium-term plan.
The qualities of good movement branding (Movement Branding Criteria)
In 2019, the results of the 2030 research and planning community review presented six qualities/criteria surfaced by the community review that should guide the 2030 Movement Brand Project. Several of these points have been reinforced in 2020 by the volunteer-initiated RfC Should the Foundation call itself Wikipedia.
These qualities are also being referred to as the six Movement Branding Criteria.
- Branding should reduce confusion about the distinction between organizations and projects, clearly identifying what roles platforms, volunteers, affiliates, and the Foundation play in the movement.
- Branding should protect and improve the reputation of the movement, increasing trust in our content and contributors.
- Branding should benefit the sister projects so that Wikipedia's international popularity and centrality to our movement are used to improve usage and participation in related projects.
- Branding should mitigate legal and government risks to movement participants and affiliates, so that volunteers are not blamed or punished for Wikipedia content in places hostile to Wikipedia content and our policies of free speech.
- Branding should grow our movement by appealing to new users, contributors, donors, and partners around the world, and inviting them to join us in our 2030 direction.
- Branding should be adaptable and adopted gradually, allowing community groups to opt-in to the system in a way that is personalized and localized, at their own pace, with support from the Foundation.
We invite everyone to get involved. We encourage especially the participation of all movement affiliates because they are the target users of the evolved brand system being developed by this project.
This is an open branding process. The process is iterative, meaning that we will create, get feedback and refine as we go. There will be many open questions to answer collectively. We expect and welcome divergence before converging on any solutions.
These are rough project milestones and may change.
- Concept development - completed (January to April)
- Naming conventions for discussion (June - July)
- Project Pause through March 2021
- Resumed discussions on naming (April - TBD)
- Branding designs for discussion - (TBD)
Every step of the process is documented in the project timeline.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Brand Network - Guides brand concepting and design process in collaboration with Snøhetta (the project design partner) and Foundation staff.
- Volunteer communities across the movement (cross projects, community lists, and village pumps) - Comments on proposed naming, design, and brand elements to highlight concerns, needs, and suggested improvements.
- Steering Committee - Informs brand development. Representatives from Fundraising, Legal/Policy, Technology, Product, Finance & Administration.
- Brand Project team - Leads project development and documentation, and coordinates between movement, Foundation, and Snøhetta.
- Executive Leadership and Board of Trustees - Vet and review brand proposals.
Snøhetta (project design partner)
- Leads design work. Crafts brand proposals for Movement review.
- Project blog in collaboration with Snøhetta
- Wikimedia 2030 brand research (2017)
- Wikimedia 2030 Brand strategy proposal (2018)
- 2030 research and planning, project summary, community review, and results for details of this phase. (2019)
- New Readers awareness research & activities
- Community initiated Request for Comment (RfC) from early 2020 titled "Should the Foundation call itself Wikipedia"
- Foundation board minutes regarding this project
- Project history for board review
- Project timeline for board review