Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Multimedia and Commons/Flexible use of EXIF- and IPTC-data and filenames on Uploads
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Many photos have useful information in EXIF, IPTC or in the filename. Using them on upload instead of rewriting everything could make uploads more interesting.
- Who would benefit: Those who want to upload numerous photos and have already put the necessary infos to the file would get a great benefit.
- Proposed solution: Write a new upload prcedure where the user can define which information is taken from where and such definitions can be saved and reused.
- More comments: There should be more than one source allowed to fill in one field.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Translations: none yet
- UploadWizard already partially does this right ? At least for date and location if I remember correctly. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 08:19, 9 November 2017 (UTC)
- Very much agree with this proposal. I currently have to manually add categories such as "taken with Canon EOS 5D Mark III" to my uploads, and this would save me a lot of boring, time-wasting repetition. Just to extend this wish: I would also like "category:Photographs by Thennicke" to be added by default to my list of categories, for the same reason, which isn't actually in the EXIF data. -- Thennicke (talk) 10:37, 10 November 2017 (UTC)
- Thennicke, if you use Lightroom, then the lrMediaWiki extension will enable you to setup categories, title, description and other fields when you export images to Commons. -- Colin (talk) 16:05, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:16, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Thomas Obermair 4 (talk) 23:02, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 10:54, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose Not clear what information the proposer wants that isn't already added. The Upload Wizard isn't the only UI and is intentionally simple one. There are other tools for power users. -- Colin (talk) 16:05, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Whether the UI is intended to be simple or not, UploadWizard should Just Work. -- Thennicke (talk) 03:40, 30 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Dromedar61 (talk) 21:27, 30 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2 (talk) 15:49, 2 December 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose This proposal is too vague. Snek01 (talk) 21:26, 6 December 2017 (UTC)