Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Multimedia and Commons/Use native audio/video player

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Random proposal◄ Multimedia and Commons

Use native audio/video player

  • Problem: Current audio/video player is very outdated, additionally the audio player is designed for video playback only. It looks horrible on modern high resolution displays. The player also includes an advert of "KALTURA".
  • Who would benefit: Readers (user experience) and editors (having better looking and more functional pages) alike.
  • Proposed solution: Use native HTML 5 <audio>/<video> controls.
  • More comments: roughly 5% of users' browsers don't support native audio/video[1][2]. We can serve them the old player, or - in the worst case - we can sacrifice being able to play audio/video for them for the sake of vastly improved experience for the rest 95%.
  • Phabricator tickets:


Issue since at least 2010:

Geni (talk) 08:43, 18 November 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The presence of Kaltura ads looks like a very serious issue, but it can be solved easily on the short-term via local Common.css (as en.wp has already done), and on the longer-term, it looks like the Kaltura player is planned to be replaced by Video.js: phab:T100106. --Yair rand (talk) 17:27, 20 November 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Borys Kozielski:, I've merged my proposal here because the current player is the same for both audio and video, so it will have to be worked on at the same time. Hope you don't mind. Max Semenik (talk) 01:25, 23 November 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

From the merged in proposal:

I don’t know what HTML5 is capable of, but a link to the file description page is needed for copyright reasons, subtitles have no point if they can’t be used, and the quality selection is also useful. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 13:45, 20 November 2017 (UTC)

@Tacsipacsi:, definitely. The native controls will have to be augmented with copyright information etc and that would still look and feel a billion times better than now. Max Semenik (talk) 01:25, 23 November 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I’d like to have a definite “yes” from someone before we start to vote for it, though. Or modify the proposal to use native HTML5 player if it’s feasible, otherwise fork the Firefox/Chrome player (which?). —Tacsipacsi (talk) 13:18, 23 November 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Native HTML5 does support subtitles. --Tgr (talk) 07:05, 28 November 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
And the other two (attribution link and manual quality selection)? —Tacsipacsi (talk) 12:23, 28 November 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Comment Comment Sounds reasonable for video files, but for audio files, I'd still prefer some kind of waveform/spectrogram visualization thingy like does it, at least for the file description pages (phab:T103527). --El Grafo (talk) 13:52, 6 December 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]