Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Archive/Voice to text editor
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Contributing for those on small devices like smart phones and for those sight impediments
- Who would benefit: Smart phone users, sight impared
- Proposed solution: create a tool that enable a person to turn voice into text, that stores the wording on subpage of the article so that them or other contributors can add the content to the page after checking spelling, grammar. This would encourage people using smart devices to contribute more to wikipedia.
- More comments: It can be recorded as an audio file with the text conversion being done in the background when server time is available rather than increase system demands, by having a two process it'd help avoid it being used for vandalism. it also enables attribution to the individual contributors
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Gnangarra (talk) 00:44, 9 November 2018 (UTC)
@Gnangarra: Sounds similar to Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Editing/Make Wikipedia more accessible to the visually impaired? --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 12:57, 9 November 2018 (UTC)
- this is for a broader use to also improve the ability of mobile, smart device users with poor keyboards to be able to contribute. When read the other one later I realised the similarities in themes but this has smaller focus as an input tool for a broader reach, wider use and different impact. I know there a good easily accessible braile readers for vision impaired people. I know those are propriety software with purpose built hardware. this only software orientated with built in specifics solely needed to contribute to wikipedia. Gnangarra (talk) 13:07, 9 November 2018 (UTC)
Most mobile devices already have voice-to-text built in to the keyboard, which is likely going to be much better than anything we will be able to build. ESanders (WMF) (talk) 13:33, 13 November 2018 (UTC)
Both Android and iOS already have voice input, while adding it to other platforms (as well as adding support for languages not already supported) would be a too big project for us. Thanks for participating in our survey. MaxSem (WMF) (talk) 22:17, 13 November 2018 (UTC)