Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Mobile and apps/Display categories in mobile view
< Community Wishlist Survey 2021 | Mobile and apps(Redirected from Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Categories/Turn on categories in mobile view)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Problem: Categories are not displayed in the mobile view. Why???
- Who would benefit: Everyone.
- Proposed solution: Display them.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152199
- Proposer: Piotrus (talk) 04:50, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-gadgets, Testing and Development, enable "Add categories to the mobile interface." That said, it would make sense to me to make this the default, unless it's still unstable. Eiim (talk) 05:04, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- In the "Advanced mode" there is a "Categories" button at the bottom. I suspect this is not in the "normal" mode because it can be very obtrusive, and I assume not a particularly popular feature for readers. Would you like to reword your proposal to add the category feature to all mobile users, or are there improvements you'd like to see to the "Advanced mode"? The former is not something we could promise upfront (mobile web is intentionally extremely lightweight), but regardless I think this proposal needs clarification as a Categories feature does exist. Kind regards, MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 19:52, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- @Infovarius: I have redirected your identical proposal here. I have the same question for you: does the existing solution to show categories in "Advanced mode" work for you? See above. MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 23:52, 21 November 2020 (UTC)
- I strongly support this proposal, and displaying categories in advanced is not a solution - I didn't know this existed, and I am a reasonably heavy user of mobile view. I would amend this proposal to add - display both the categories that belong to an article, and display the category pages correctly (so if you navigate to Category:XYZ, the members of category XYZ display). -- phoebe | talk 14:34, 27 November 2020 (UTC)