Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Editing/Writing a : in visual editor shouldnt add a blockquote but a : to the source code
< Community Wishlist Survey 2021 | Editing(Redirected from Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Editing/Wirting a : in visual editor shouldnt add a blockquote but a : to the source code)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Problem: Writing a : and getting a blockquote is not intuitive and breaks with the convention of being able to write source code in the visual editor. There is also no other way to get an : into the source code. Equations are always indented with a : so it's an important feature to have.
- Who would benefit: Everybody who needs an : indent aka everybody who writes equations.
- Proposed solution:
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Nabloodel (talk) 19:17, 19 November 2020 (UTC)
- @Nabloodel: Note : is not intended to be used for indentations in article text. : creates a definition list (which is why VE maps it to blockquote instead, which is a proper indentation). This is a very unfortunate and longstanding habit that grew out of talk page discussions, but it is VERY bad for people relying on screenreaders to read an article
- but character : is used in discussions and there are pages, where is allowed visual editr on talkpages or forum chats. JAn Dudík (talk) 16:39, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
- This is most often used with equations, which look weird with no indentation. I know of no other ways of indenting them. So maybe add a paragraph style for equations instead (and use a bot to change millions of :<math> to the new style)?
- Indenting article text with colons is semantically invalid and bad for accessibility. A div tag can and should easily be used to provide a block indent. See en:Template:Block indent. Jonesey95 (talk) 19:09, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
- I notice that under the dropdown menu for there are two options that I normally can't click on, even in articlespace: Decrease indentation and increase indentation, both of which have keyboard shortcuts. Any clue as to why those may have been disabled? Tenryuu (talk) 04:23, 24 November 2020 (UTC)
:<math>issue is phab:T111712. As mentioned here and on that task, it would be better to not (ab)use the
:syntax for this. ESanders (WMF) (talk) 16:44, 24 November 2020 (UTC)
- Equations can be indented by <math display=block> instead of :<math> so :-indentation is not really required for that. Threading of discussion pages is a bigger issue. —David Eppstein (talk) 18:01, 26 November 2020 (UTC)