The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
MediaWiki message delivery must consider order of messages
- Problem: In different projects and even on different pages of the same project, a different order of adding new messages is often adopted: somewhere they need to be added at the top, and somewhere at the bottom. User:MediaWiki message delivery completely ignores this order. In large projects, this leads to the fact that the message needs to be moved to the beginning of the page each time. In small projects, no one pays attention to this, and on forums where messages should be added at the top, no one reads mass messages at the bottom of the page, and they just go to the archive.
- Who would benefit: All projects. Mostly small projects that do not have the resources to fight bots.
- Proposed solution: It should be possible to indicate in the list of message recipients that new messages should be added at the top. Alternative solution: add the magic word like
__TOPNEWSECTIONLINK__, which will affect not only the bot, but other scripts too.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: — putnik 05:57, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
- I mean, this is an improvement, but it's not an improvement I would vote for. --Izno (talk) 04:37, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
- The fundamental problem here is that messaging/discussion on WM projects uses the utterly inadequate tool of wiki pages. If we had actual proper tools for messaging and discussion, this problem would not exist. (And it's not like the tools don't exist in the wider world--forum software has existed for decades now.) Silver hr (talk) 01:04, 1 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support MarioSuperstar77 (talk) 19:41, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support --NGC 54 (talk / contribs) 20:17, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose This problem should be solved, but through a global revamp of how messaging/discussion works, not by patching a system that was never suited for the purpose. Silver hr (talk) 21:32, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose per Silver hr --Ján Kepler (talk) 14:35, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 04:49, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Jack who built the house (talk) 04:50, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support BoldLuis (talk) 17:33, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Klaas `Z4␟` V: 16:15, 12 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Puisqu'on a décidé de tuer Flow... Nemo Le Poisson (talk) 10:28, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose per Silver hr. ◅ SebastianHelm (talk) 13:04, 16 December 2020 (UTC)